Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I pluck hair (with ear powder on my fingers) and use zymox in the ear after I pluck. I also add a drop of zymox every week or two even when I'm not plucking just to keep the ears healthy. I plucked the ears thoroughly once when Misha was a puppy and they've never grown back thick like they were at first. I do wonder if starting plucking early helps with this. It is my thinking that lots of hair in the ear cannot be good for hearing. I'd rather clear it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am going to try that!! Thank you our poodle is just a puppy he’s only 7 months so we are trying to start him early!! But he sure does hate his ears being done! Maybe he will get better. Thank you again!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Gracie had yeasty ears for a brief period when she was a puppy. I started using this product and haven’t had a problem since. I just squirt some in every time I bathe her. I don’t pluck her ears either, and they are hairy! If she had continued to have a problem I would have considered it, but for now it seems OK. Every dog is different. This product is cheap and might be worth a try.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I use ear cleaner and I also pluck. The plucking I only do about once every 2 months, because it can actually cause ear infections if overdone.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
I don't touch them. Every 4-6 weeks our groomer gives them a good clean. She does very little plucking.

I do keep Zymox on hand in case of emergency.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I clean ears before each bath (fortnightly) with normal ear cleaner.
I pluck monthly, between baths, using forceps, then use zymox after

·
Registered
440 Posts
So far at the tender age of 1 Lacey hasn’t had any ear issues. My ear cleaning routine coincides immediately after baths (about every 3 weeks). I squirt tropiclean ear cleaner in and massage the base of the ear so it makes a squishy sound. Then I let her shake her head and wipe the outer ear canal and folds with half a cotton ball. Every 6 weeks when she gets her full groom I use short, blunt tip scissors to carefully trim the hair coming out of the ear canal as short as possible. For a little while I did an experiment plucking one ear but decided to stop since the unplucked ear was doing fine.

edit to add: Lacey doesn’t produce much of any earwax and she has pretty hairy ear canals. I also keep her ear length pretty short. If she was a waxy girl I might pluck occasionally.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I pluck a couple of hairs every few days; Fluffy’s ears get super waxy, so I err on the side of caution and make sure they always stay unplugged. If I notice that they’re getting a little too waxy for my liking, or if he starts shaking his head a little, I use one of the solutions that gets all bubbly and rub his ears with it, then give him a bath. That usually stops it. It’s been a while since I’ve had to use that, however, and I can’t seem to find the product I used anymore.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had a dog who got infections if I didn't pluck, but now I have a dog who gets infections if I do pluck. I do what is best for the individual dog: with my current dog, I don't pluck.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
When I went to a groomer who insisted on plucking his ears he was constantly getting ear infections. I now go to someone who never does that. We do trim a bit with blunt ended scissors occasionally. He hasn't had an ear infection in 2 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is my protocol

1- I never pluck hair as I feel this irritates the sensitive skin
2- Use a liquid ear cleaner if I feel it's necessary
3- Once I started giving my dog probiotic chews - his ears stopped getting dirty wax - which leads me to believe that ear problems are less of a hair in the ear issue than an immunity issue.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Then hopefully keep the comments to the appropriate old threads?

This thread about ear cleaning is actually very important as this problem is so common. Thanks :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts