Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am drowning in my current job. I used to work for a mail order catalog that sold horse supplies. I was in their purchasing department and I loved it. My boss was less than ideal, but I still loved what I did. I really like working with the public. Well, he sold that company about four years ago and said I could move 1/2 way across the country and work for the new owners or I was out of a job. Well, Hubby, as much as I love him, said if you go, you go by your self because I am not going. SO I had to find a new job here. And of course Hubby pushed me into a job I wasn't sure about, just so I wouldn't be unemployed. Now, I'm not advocating unemployment, but if I hadn't rushed into this job, I may have been able to take advantage of going back to school. Anyway, I gues the past is the past and I shouldn't look back.

So, now I am in this job I took almost four years ago. I HATE it! I actually have never liked it. BUT I am glad to be emplyeed and have an income, very thankful actually. But I really can't stand coming to work every day. I would look for a different job, but our town has lost over 700 jobs in the past few years and there are really not any other openings that have come up in our town that would be a better fit for me. I have three children and don't want to work in another town.

So I have decided that I want to have a career in dogs. I am a halfway decent groomer, but I feel I need more hands on before I could begin grooming for a fee.

I am also a fairly decent dog trainer, I currently teach our 4-H dog program and have had a good response from our parents and the judge last year, but I am afraid to start on my own, I feel I need more knowledge about training.

I don't even care if I have to keep my current job and start part time at something related to dogs, but I've got to do something before I go crazy.

I don't want to jump into something half-a$$ed and make a fool of myself, I want to do something right.

I know I could run a boarding kennel, I did at one time, I worked right beneath the owner, but I cannot afford to build a facility and my huband doesn't think there is a need for it in our town. I beg to differ but you know he is always right.

So Please, if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them! I want to do something fulfilling so much instead of being a glorified paper shuffler.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can recommend the book entitled What Color is Your Parachute?-A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers by Richard Bolles. Oh-and remember, your hubby is not always right! It is your life so don't let it pass by-use your common sense and intuition and take steps each day for a change. Good luck to you!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I want to do something fulfilling so much instead of being a glorified paper shuffler.
I shuffle paper in my "real" job, too (however I do love my job - I work for a disabilities advocacy agency) and that's the job that pays the bills... in my home life, I keep busy with my animals as well as other peoples'... I provide a foster home for a local rescue agency when they need me. I can do it when I want to - I was getting burned out on that a little while ago so I told the founder of the agency that I needed a break (I had back to back to back fosters for many months and I was ready to enjoy my own pets for a while!) She knows she can call me at any time and I get to decide if I have the space and time to foster, otherwise I can decline and she'll call one of her other foster homes... I don't make money doing this (I actually help her out by buying the food for the pet) but it is fulfilling and I know I'm helping the animals...

I also provide dog-sitting services for a few friends from time to time. They bring their dogs to my house and they join my pack for the time their family is out of town... I don't charge a fee for this, but my friends always pay me anyway! :) I have good friends! I don't advertise my services and the dogs who visit my house are well behaved and get along well with my dogs so it's never a problem. I also am my family's pet sitter but I usually go to their houses when they're out of town - my brother has a hunting dog who doesn't live in the house so it wouldn't work to bring Buddy to my house and everyone else has cats who are more comfortable staying in their own homes... My family usually either pays me or they give me gift certificates for area restaurants - again, I don't ever charge for my services, but I probably COULD if I wanted to...

So making a long story longer... I work full time in an office, but manage to fulfill my animal passion by doing foster/rescue/pet-sitting for which I may or may not get paid...

Good luck with your endeavors, wherever they may lead!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
maybe you could teach a few training classes in the evenings and weekends?
I would suggest this as well, just be clear on what your qualifications are in any advertising or in conversation with potential clients. In other words don't claim you are something you're not. Since you've only been doing 4-H training classes, (just what I assume from reading your post) I would keep any classes you teach fairly basic in nature and not accept behavior or aggression issues. Those need to go to a more experienced pro. You'll need to write a lesson plan of your own and YOU NEED INSURANCE, especialy for dog training. If you plan to operate from home you'll also need to check with your city/county zoning office and make sure you are all clear to have a business at home. You'll also need a business license and I'd suggest you research things like LLC's to protect yourself. That could get you started.

If you'd rather groom, you need to go to school or find a pro who will let you work in thier shop and train with them. I know there is a thread in the grooming section that talks about becoming a groomer it has lots of opinions. Same advice though as above don't claim you're something that you're not (this always comes back to bite you in the end).

I would not suggest attempting to do both in your position, pick one or the other and move on from there. You could eventualy do both, I do, but you need to get settled and you need experience first.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. You have been very helpful! This is what I am thinking. I would like to offer BEGINNER obedience, a manners class and MAYBE a puppy class. I just asked my vet the other day if they get very many calls for dog training classes and she said "yes would you like to teach some?" So they would provide me with a facility. I have talked with my insurance company and they are checking into insurance for me as an instructor. I totally understand what you are saying about not making people think that I know more than I do and I would never knowingly take on a dog or situation that I didn't think I could handle. I know that word of mouth is the best advertising (especially in this town, gossip spreads like wildfire!) and I wouldn't jepordize that by taking on something I am not able to be succesfull at.

I am also going to attend as many seminars and workshops on dog training as possible to further my knowledge.

Yes, currently I only teach for the 4-H group, but I did used to teach at the Kennel Club where we used to live, before we moved. I know I don't know everything (that's for sure), but I feel I know enough to teach the basics, manners through preparing for a CD, CGC and therapy dog testing. I guess I just didn't know if that is enough to start with.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. You have been very helpful! This is what I am thinking. I would like to offer BEGINNER obedience, a manners class and MAYBE a puppy class. I just asked my vet the other day if they get very many calls for dog training classes and she said "yes would you like to teach some?" So they would provide me with a facility. I have talked with my insurance company and they are checking into insurance for me as an instructor. I totally understand what you are saying about not making people think that I know more than I do and I would never knowingly take on a dog or situation that I didn't think I could handle. I know that word of mouth is the best advertising (especially in this town, gossip spreads like wildfire!) and I wouldn't jepordize that by taking on something I am not able to be succesfull at.

I am also going to attend as many seminars and workshops on dog training as possible to further my knowledge.

Yes, currently I only teach for the 4-H group, but I did used to teach at the Kennel Club where we used to live, before we moved. I know I don't know everything (that's for sure), but I feel I know enough to teach the basics, manners through preparing for a CD, CGC and therapy dog testing. I guess I just didn't know if that is enough to start with.
Sounds like you know what your doing and what you want!!! I cant wait to hear how your doing. Also I think you can do both - how else will you get started, these thing's take funds and it sounds like you have the time. Also IMHO, lots of classes and prior documented experience does not make or break you. Not that it's not important, it is! It's dog training/grooming - not brain surgery some have it better then others. And if your dedicated you can accompish what you want:) Just talking with the Vet got you a place to do it. Charge low to start, and as for grooming - - Maybe you could started off by doing hair for tips! The training classes will get you your prospective clients to groom. For the right person and price and your upfront with people on your tenure in the area will get you started on a PT gig therefore you don't have to dump a bunch of other $$$ when your not sure on where it will go, good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts