Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does one become certified for grooming? can you pick the areas you want to be certified in?

Id like to be certified in cats, poodles and sporting, and possibly in all groups in the future (as long as I dont have to hand strip, not really great with that ) ...dont know where to start.

·
Registered
575 Posts
how does one become certified for grooming? can you pick the areas you want to be certified in?

Id like to be certified in cats, poodles and sporting, and possibly in all groups in the future (as long as I dont have to hand strip, not really great with that ) ...dont know where to start.

There are several organizations you can become certified thru. For dog grooming, there is ISCC petstylist.com , NDGAA nationaldoggroomers.com, IPG ipgcmg.org to name a few. For cats, there are two national orgs (that I know of) http://nationalcatgroomers.com/ and http://professionalcatgroomers.com/

As far as how you would go about becoming certified, each organization has different requirements and some are harder than the others. It also depends on how much time you have and how easy it is for you to travel for testing.
I would recommend visiting their websites and read thru their requirements and make your decision based on your needs and what fits you best. If you are interested in furthering your education, I am planning some seminars here in NC and would be glad to let you know when we get them planned. Ann Martin (poodle breeder/handler/groomer/competitor/shear goddess) has agreed to do a workshop for us :) I've also got a line on a cat groomer from NCGIA (danelle german), Scott Wasserman (terrier GOD), Eric Salas (pro handler/groomer), Lisa Leady (groomer has it runner-up and great person) and several other big names in grooming/showing that we could pull from. I'm sure that Hayley Keys of IPG would be more than happy to come as well.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Oh good luck getting certified! I don't know what it's like over there, but there's only the one groomers association here in NZ so it's not so bad! And I'm so glad it's within a drivable distance too (though it's a 4-5 hour drive!) I'm doing my non-sporting exam this year (poodles! yay!), and if i pass it, it leaves me with only my 'master groomer' exam left to do!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really want to get certified, but I'm very intimidated by the requirements. Travel is hard for me, but what I really have trouble with is providing dogs for the practical exam. I just don't think I could find four dogs with decent conformation, good coats, and owners willing to let me keep them in a show groom for months. Not to mention taking their dog out of town to be tested on! I don't know anyone who could possibly fit the bill.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I can help you find certification dogs. In your local newspaper, take out an ad that reads:
FREE GROOMING Dogs whose coat and quality makes them eligible for grooming contest should have their owners call 888-888-8888.

Then you take your pick. It takes months to prepare your dogs (to grow the coat). In the meantime, you can order your study packets and start studying the AKC Guidebook. That is your textbook for dogs. My daughter took all her dog tests and passed her master on her 1st go-around. Then she studied and passed her cat master. She used the NDGAA and the NCGIA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts