Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5 year old neutered male, who has never displayed dominant behavior like mounting other dogs. He does frequently mark fences and trees during walks. He is walked for a couple of hours a day, some on leash, much in leash free parks as he loves to socialize with other dogs.

Our daughter has a big fenced yard and our dog loves visiting there. He has dog friends who live on the other side of the fence.

The problem is that our grandson now has large plastic outdoor play structures and our dog has decided to pee all over them! Angry daughter, annoyed me, washing toys with disinfectant. Due to traffic, cougar and bears, the dog must stay in the fenced yard during our long visits.

How should I train him to stop marking the toys?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
I would teach a really solid leave it and reinforce your recall. Call him away from the play equipment if you see him approaching when he is off leash. Separately once you have the leave it command take him near the play equipment and tell him leave it. If he walks away give him a nice cookie to reinforce that staying away from your grandchild's stuff is something you will reward well for.

In the meantime you might want to buy a section or two of that wire stick in the ground fencing to make a no dog zone around the play stuff.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I would walk him on a leash outside, going near the equipment outside and wait until he’s ready to lift his leg and startle him with a stern «*No*» just before he pees. Rinse and repeat until he is no longer lifting. Then bring him to areas where he is allowed and use the pee command, then praise ans treat when he does.

After a few days of this, maybe 1 week, try him off him off leash and see if he’s okay, then praise again or start over if he even thinks about lifting.

You might have to take him out to pee on a leash for a while and tie him up far away when unsupervised until he’s good.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would walk him on a leash outside, going near the equipment outside and wait until he’s ready to lift his leg and startle him with a stern «*No*» just before he pees. Rinse and repeat until he is no longer lifting. Then bring him to areas where he is allowed and use the pee command, then praise ans treat when he does.

After a few days of this, maybe 1 week, try him off him off leash and see if he’s okay, then praise again or start over if he even thinks about lifting.

You might have to take him out to pee on a leash for a while and tie him up far away when unsupervised until he’s good.
Sounds workable. He knows the command "go toilet" and I can gate off an outdoor section of the deck - he will absolutely not pee on the porch. Then keep him leashed in the yard. Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would teach a really solid leave it and reinforce your recall. Call him away from the play equipment if you see him approaching when he is off leash. Separately once you have the leave it command take him near the play equipment and tell him leave it. If he walks away give him a nice cookie to reinforce that staying away from your grandchild's stuff is something you will reward well for.

In the meantime you might want to buy a section or two of that wire stick in the ground fencing to make a no dog zone around the play stuff.
I can work with this, thank you. He is excellent with "leave it" for other things, and really good with recall. We actually taught him to stay out of the planted garden by putting a bunch of 18" tall dowels around the outside, and a single string tied to the tops. Then walked him around repeating "out" . Did this regularly with lots of praise. He never crossed the string.Within a couple of months we removed the string and dowels, and he has never gone into the garden since. I will see if I can add some string and dowels just to give him the idea, a little trickier as it will always have to be removed and set up again whenever the toddler goes outside. Also the play equipment gets moved around regularly, but I can keep changing the routine too. Much appreciation. Will keep you updated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts