Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snoops was neutered 10 days ago ... He seemed to be recovering just fine. He didn't wear his cone after the 3rd day or so - it just seemed too uncomfortable. He was very good about not licking his stitches. I would cleanse it with hydrogen peroxide and it never got puffy and I never saw pus.

I checked the stitches today and it is still scabbing... It looks like some of the scabs have come off and it is pink with maybe little dots of blood (similar to when a scab comes off of our body). Is this normal, I guess?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Snoops was neutered 10 days ago ... He seemed to be recovering just fine. He didn't wear his cone after the 3rd day or so - it just seemed too uncomfortable. He was very good about not licking his stitches. I would cleanse it with hydrogen peroxide and it never got puffy and I never saw pus.

I checked the stitches today and it is still scabbing... It looks like some of the scabs have come off and it is pink with maybe little dots of blood (similar to when a scab comes off of our body). Is this normal, I guess?
Yes, I believe it's normal. I think the vet's usually say their stiches can come out 2 weeks after surgery. (like 14 days)
So it sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It does sound like he is almost all healed up. If it were sensitive to the touch or he seems bothered by it, then I would call the vet to ask their opinion.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I agree. It sounds like all is progressing well.

I had major surgery a few months ago and as the incision healed, the stitched area scabbed and then began to peel off. Some places were a little raw with new skin growing underneath but it was healthy and OK.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It sounds like it is healing correctly but you really do need to watch the peroxide, do not clean it anymore with that, because it does tend to kill the new skin that is growing, so I would just let it be for a few days and check it. If it is not turning really red and looking festered, leave it and he will be totally healed in no time. I am glad to hear he is healing well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts