Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to keep the poodle from drinking out of the toilet?
I know the simple answer would be close the lid and shut the door but I have a difficult time convincing the other members of this family to do the same. The poodle so prefers the "magic water bowl" that she will push the lid up and stand there with the lid resting on her head :doh:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm sorry for laughing, because I can totally sympathize with you. I have a cat who would play in the toilet if I let him.

Can you put a cinder block on the toilet lid when it's not being used? Just kidding, but I really had to use one to keep the cat from pushing his water bowl around until all the water sloshed out of it.

I would probably try booby trapping it so that when she lifted up the seat, some kind of loud noise happened, like a coffee can with coins in it or a string of soda cans falling to the floor. Of course, if she is as smart as I suspect she is, she'll probably figure out a work-around for this too.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I know the simple answer would be close the lid and shut the door but I have a difficult time convincing the other members of this family to do the same.
All it took in my house was to repeat to my husband what I heard about what happens when toilets flush... (read the link below at your own peril - this is pretty gross!)

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1839

:scared:

So, at my house the toilet lids are closed before anyone even attempts to flush and they're kept closed unless being actively used... No one ever seems to want to "sneak" the lid up (canine or feline)...

I'm wondering if the lids at your house are closed consistently and you can catch your poodle in the act of lifting the lid with her head and correct the behavior AS it's happening she may decide it's not worth it and you can break the habit... Other than that, I don't have any bright ideas...

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Too Funny! She is persistent.

The loud noise idea sounds like a good one. I'll try to think of something else.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Heck, I don't sweat it any more. My poodles have preferred to drink out of the toilet for 20 years - must be the cold cold water or something. Even with the water bowl right THERE, they prefer the toilet. They've never got sick from it, so I let it be.

I just make sure it's kept very clean. LOL

Heck, my dogs drink dirtier water on their off-leash runs through the bush.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Besides the reasons enumerated in my link above, I prefer to keep the lids on the toilet shut, not necessarily because the water may not be safe for the dog to drink, but inevitably water droplets end up splashed on the seat - it was getting really tiresome to get up in the middle of the night for a relaxing pee-pee and sitting down on a soaking wet toilet seat!! (and you're right about the water being colder in there!! :scared:) YUCK!! It just makes it easier all around for us to leave the lids down and the dogs can leave their splashy mess on the floor by their water dishes!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
And they do lick their own and everyone else's butt every chance they get. (eww!)

Point taken, but some animals can't drink out of the bowl without getting water all over the place. :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are definitely some good ideas. I am loving the fact that I can ask questions like "How do I keep the poodle out of the toilet?" and I don't have people looking at me like I'm crazy. Its so nice to meet people who can relate. Thanks poodle lovers!!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Toilet water is better

I am searching for an answer to the same problem! Unfortunately we have 4 toilets in the house, and he will search till he finds an unoccupied one. I keep all the doors closed, but the poodle is somewhat better trained than the other people in my home! :banghead: If doors are closed, after checking for toilets, he will use the water bowl begrudgingly (and fresh water is not the issue, I keep it fresh and cold). A groomer/breeder told me to try putting 1/2 cup of vinegar in the bowl and leaving it for open him. I'm trying that now. I noticed he put his muzzle in (smells like a pickle 0: ) but didn't really drink. I'm alone at the cabin for 2 weeks, so hopefully this will work and I can break him :at-wits-end:

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are only two of us in my house, so there's no problem with keeping the door closed, but I just put a new rule into effect (affect?), "Close the lid before flushing!". It creeps me out to think of all the times my grandson has flushed to toilet and waved his potties goodbye (potty training).

I'd do as Purple Poodle recommended and put up a sign. Maybe put a bell on the bathroom door so you know someone is going to use the bathroom and can gently remind them to close the cover before flushing.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Been there done that. Betty Jo loves to drink from the toilet and with three kids the door and lid thing can be a pain. However I'm getting the humans of the house trained and as the its been available less often I notice that the she has pretty much stopped. Particularly as I've also caught her in the act a few and been able to correct her. That whole wet toilet seat is just not my thing lol.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Every time I see the title of this thread I think it's a joke in need of a punch line. When I think of one, I'll let you know. :smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've just learned to keep the toilet seat down. I also keep the bathroom trash can on top of the toilet because Teddy eats the Kleenex out of it. I always have to tell people who come to my house I'm not crazy, the toilet seat is supposed to be down (and kept down), and the trash can is supposed to be on top of the toilet. Silly poodles! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts