Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know how you got your poodles..
Did you know the breeder for a long time? Find for sell somewhere? Some man in a parking lot? Rescue? Old family or friends dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
I heard of the breeder through a friend. Her poodle is amazing so I wanted to get one through that breeder. The breeder is an akc breeder of merit. She trust me because I’m a horse girl and she said horse girls are tough and know dogs.

I was in contact with the breeder for awhile. I was going to get a pup from her. One day she contacted me and told me she has this 8 year old champion show, stud dog she is retiring and if I’d be interested in taking him or if I know anyone. I didn’t think I was interested but I realized poodles live awhile. So I told her I’m interested.

When I went to pick him up, she told me to sit down and let him come up to me. Might take awhile, but be patient. She let him in, he ran RIGHT up to me. I think he said “HI NEW MOMMY!” and he hasn’t left my side since! He’s my love muffin and the best dog ever!

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I heard of the breeder through a friend. Her poodle is amazing so I wanted to get one through that breeder. The breeder is an akc breeder of merit. She trust me because I’m a horse girl and she said horse girls are tough and know dogs.

I was in contact with the breeder for awhile. I was going to get a pup from her. One day she contacted me and told me she has this 8 year old champion show, stud dog she is retiring and if I’d be interested in taking him or if I know anyone. I didn’t think I was interested but I realized poodles live awhile. So I told her I’m interested.

When I went to pick him up, she told me to sit down and let him come up to me. Might take awhile, but be patient. She let him in, he ran RIGHT up to me. I think he said “HI NEW MOMMY!” and he hasn’t left my side since! He’s my love muffin and the best dog ever!
What a cute story ! I see he has a belly band on your picture. Does he still need it ?

I got mine to stop marking but he was a lot younger (18 months) and wasn’t a stud, but was intact and living with intact males and marking in the house as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts

What a cute story ! I see he has a belly band on your picture. Does he still need it ?

I got mine to stop marking but he was a lot younger (18 months) and wasn’t a stud, but was intact and living with intact males and marking in the house as well.
Yes he does still need it but we are still working on potty training. He’s like 95% trained. He lets us know when he has to potty. Sometimes he does dribble in his sleep. We don’t have another dog so I think he will be fully trained. It hasn’t been a year since his neutering.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I got 7 from breeders and one I from some jerks that just had pups, 2 were puppies the other 6 from 8 months to 5 years. When looking for a poodle I send letters to breeders explaining number of toys I have had my lifestyle and normally photos of my girls. One one has had a health problem Bella has medication 2 times a day for yes for last 10 years. I prefer over 6 months when I get them. They are all wonderful, trained the same and have a lot of the same personalities even though none from the same place.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Miracle came from a local rescue. I had been watching their site for the right match for 6 months and didn't seem to find the right dog, and then she appeared! I was very specific with what I needed in a dog given my current living situation, and she ended up being the perfect fit!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Both spoos are from show breeders. I did not know either beforehand. I inquired when I was ready to buy and they each had the puppy I was looking for :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our first poodle, a standard, we got from a dog shelter. Very rare opportunity.

We got our current toy from a dog rescue. She was in bad shape and she's great but mentally very timid from prior abuse.

We tried looking for a standard at a shelter but no luck and because we have small children no poodle rescue would let us have a chance.....so we bought from a small hobby breeder. We love him!

I know getting a rescue dog is super trendy now but you can't find stsndards. Also our toy, which is a rescue, came with a long list of issues. Ticks, heartworm positive, not fixed, leg needed amputation, no idea what dog food was, shy, fearful etc. We love her but we just wanted a mentally and physically healthful pup. A clean slate.

·
Registered
419 Posts
After losing my labs, and being a widow, I was at a loss without a dog in my life. I had always had a poodles but she passed when she was 17, before the labs who were 16+. Soooo I started a search of miniature poodles in Minnesota. I also had to convince my son in law to let me have a dog again. I live with them since my husband passed and my daughter and he have two wiener dogs. Once my daughter nagged him enough he relented. Wink!
so, the search continued. I knew one breeder of minis up North in Minnesota but I knew I wanted black. The one breeder that had black minis wasn't expecting a litter until spring so I was fine with that but she wasn't very communicative or friendly or helpful. THEN, I found a mini breeder close by in the Twin Cities. After submitting three letters of recommendation, she accepted me and I put down a deposit. That was in September before the breeding even took place! She bred the mom in January and two pups were born in March. One of those became mine!
Love the little guy to pieces!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I knew the time was right for us about 8 months ago, I came here and started reading and researching. I knew what I was looking for (white mini) so I poked around here for suggestions of breeders in my area (New England), then cross referenced against the AKC site - and whittled down to 2 breeders who were AKC breeders of merit. I emailed them both and then I also reached out to my Toller breeder friend in Canada to get her opinion on the 2. One is way more active on social media, but what my friend noticed was that the poodles from the breeder we chose, a lot compete in agility and things - meaning they would be highly trainable while the other breeder didn't.

I lucked out that our breeder didn't have a list at the time for whites - my email had me first on the list and the rest is history!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
After my standard poodle died I decided to get a minipoo. I called Betty Brown (Donnchada poodles), whom I have known for many years, to ask her who might have a mini available. As it happened, she had a litter with a puppy available. So that's how I got Zoe.

I bred and showed poodles from 1967 through 1990 - mostly standards, although I started with toys. Then my job took over my life, so I quit showing and cut down to 3-4 dogs.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My precious Molly was an impulsive decision..............one day while reading our little neighborhood newspaper their was an ad that simply said 'Poodle Mix Puppies' and an address and Ph#.....now, I did not intend to get a dog at all yet....I had started my 'Dog Fund' with the intention of purchasing a Maltese or a Yorkshire and pretty much was trying to find a good breeder. But when I saw that ad I JUST HAD to go look at those puppies cuz they were right in my neighborhood........... not a thing to do when you have 'puppy fever' Hahaha! Anyway, when I got there, the young man who was the owner, let the puppies into the livingroom, I sat on the floor, And Molly made a beeline for my lap while her 3 sisters created havoc around us! She owned me! I have to mention here that these pups were extremely well taken care of , very clean, and well socialized. The young man was about 14-16 years old and was born without forearms, so he was handicapped, but there was not one matt or bit of dirt on these pups! His Mother explained that he wanted to keep all of them but they could not afford to, so they were to be placed with owners he approved of......free. He approved me! I offered to pay him for her, but he refused.........so I stuffed a wad of bills in his shirt pocket (I think it was like $80.00 that I had in my wallet) and ran out the door with Molly clutched in my arms! At this point I realized I had NOTHING at home for my new puppy, so while my sister sat in the car I made a quick stop at Petsmart ..........and that is how I got the best puppy ever!:love2::love2::love2:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
When my old Dear Iris passed away I let everyone on the forum know that she was gone. I received amazing support and expressions of sympathy from fellow forum members. I was prepared to search for just the right poodle over the coming months.

Three days after Iris died a forum member, West U, called me at 5:30 in the morning and said that Betty Brown of Donnchada poodles still had a puppy available. She asked if I wanted her, of course I said yes! Then Nancy told me to call Betty, RIGHT NOW! So, I did. We talked a long while and made arrangements for me to receive Poppy. This was on a Thursday. Since Betty had to get The baby girl to the vet for a vet certificate and make flight arrangements and get her ready for the flight I expected to receive her Sat. Or Monday.

I unpacked all the doggie things that I had already packed away, ran to the thrift store for a crate and stopped at the pet store for food.

That evening Betty called to say the baby would arrive at 1:15 THE NEXT DAY!

My friend Tom called in a day off at work and rode yo the airport with me. Baby girl, Poppy rode hime on Uncle Tommy's lap.

Thanks to our Angel God Mother, West U, Poppy and I found each other. Poppy has helped heal a broken heart.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
Molly, your story sounds exactly like something I would do! And have done in the past!

So early last summer after not being able to get a somewhat local breeder on the phone or via email, there was no response. I spend the entire summer looking all over the East Coast for a poodle, then the US. I was not a happy camper. I was 24 hours away from giving up entirely and finding a mixed poo which are not hard to find.

I tried calling the nearby breeder one more time, and she answered the phone. Yes, she had a litter of 7 week old pups, champion sired. She wasn't close but about an hour drive wasn't bad. Bella was sooo sweet that I plopped down more than what was needed for the deposit to make darn sure she knew I was serious.

Three weeks went by, and the morning I was to pick her up, I woke up with the odd thought in a semi-sleep state: Today magic is going to come into your life.

I'm so glad I have her. I'm an empty-nester; my kids are young adults and on their own. Sounds crazy but there are days when I can hardly wait to get home from work to see her. She greets me at the door with her little tail wagging and jumping up so happily and it just feels good.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Molly, your story sounds exactly like something I would do! And have done in the past!

So early last summer after not being able to get a somewhat local breeder on the phone or via email, there was no response. I spend the entire summer looking all over the East Coast for a poodle, then the US. I was not a happy camper. I was 24 hours away from giving up entirely and finding a mixed poo which are not hard to find.

I tried calling the nearby breeder one more time, and she answered the phone. Yes, she had a litter of 7 week old pups, champion sired. She wasn't close but about an hour drive wasn't bad. Bella was sooo sweet that I plopped down more than what was needed for the deposit to make darn sure she knew I was serious.

Three weeks went by, and the morning I was to pick her up, I woke up with the odd thought in a semi-sleep state: Today magic is going to come into your life.

I'm so glad I have her. I'm an empty-nester; my kids are young adults and on their own. Sounds crazy but there are days when I can hardly wait to get home from work to see her. She greets me at the door with her little tail wagging and jumping up so happily and it just feels good.

I know how you feel I am the sameway when I am on appointments anxious to get back to them. The welcome we get is wonderful

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi!
Theee years ago I decided to rescue my first dog since I just purchased my own home and had enough space for a cute little fence. I applied to like 10 rescued and 15 dogs. Everyone turned me down until one day I was in petfinder.com and saw an ad for a 4 year old standard puppy mix from Atlanta, Georgia, names Zion. The little guy was so matted and had the lowest body score on earth. I immediately applied for him and rescue, NY Second chance actually called me back. I had a home visit/interview and everything. The rescue dropped him off at my house at midnight- which is strange and I found out that he was actually a mini poodle that was 8 months old. It has been awesome ever since. I am glad I did not give up on my rescue. ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I worked at animal shelters since I was in college. So always had lots of animals. When hubby and I started talking about have a child, we stopped adopting animals, and as they passed away, we didn't add anymore to our family.

By the time our son was three, we had gone from 6 small dogs, 2 house bunnies, and a bird, to just 2 small dogs. A former colleague swore she had the best foster puppy for me, and brought her to me for adoption. We quickly found out she was NOT a good match for our family. She started fighting with Emma, our senior Schnauzer mix, almost immediately. Not scuffling, but fights. I hired a behaviorist and started training, but when she bit my son in the face for trying to sit next to her on the floor, I was done. I am very lucky to have lots of animal rescue and animal shelter friends, and she found a fully vetted home almost immediately, at 6 months old. (It helped she was a cute, small breed terrier mix)

I then decided, I was going to buy a dog from a breeder. I knew I wanted a larger dog, but I liked the fact all my little terrier mixes were non-shedding. I settled on a standard poodle, and you have no idea how many people tried to talk me out of it! So much prejudice against poodles!

I did a bunch of research, but was gun shy about letting a breeder choose a dog for my family. I found a breeder in the paper who was close to me. Having worked in animal welfare for so long, I knew what I was looking for in a breeder that was important to me. She called and chatted with me before even inviting me to visit the puppies, which was a good sign.

She is an older lady, who enjoys having the puppies. She owned mom, and her sister owned dad. I was able to visit with both the parents, and she gave me their AKC information so I was able to research their pedigrees. While she had not done health testing, there was health testing done in their background pedigrees, so I was content with that. Temperament was really the most important item for me.

When I visited, I was very happy with care and cleanliness of the mom and puppies. Both mom and dad were pets, and Dobby was just her second litter of puppies. She let me visit 5 times before I chose a puppy, and while he wasn't my first choice, my first choice was taken, he had many of the qualities I wanted. Though he was more on the shy side than I really preferred. However, because I knew that going in, I was able to address it from day one.

She cried when we left with him, and we have kept in contact. I text her pictures and videos at least once a quarter, and she has since spayed/neutered the parents, and hasn't had another litter in over a year.

We love our silly poodle boy, and I wouldn't change anything. He is growing up to be a great dog, and while he was the mouthiest puppy I think I've ever come across, we are finally getting over the hump at 18 months, and I can see him settling into quite a nice dog.

As a side note, many of the people who tried to talk me out of a standard poodle, love him. So he turned into a good poodle ambassador!

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Both of our poodles and our GSD are from good breeders. Lily's breeders were a hobby breeding family (the husband's family had a history in showing poodles when he was a child). Once their kids hit their tweens they stopped to attend to their children's diverse needs and interests. I would have ahppily gotten another pup from them had it been possible. They are on Long Island close to us, so easy to have worked with. Javelin is from an actively showing great breeder with Ale Kai dogs as her foundation dogs. I definitely will return to Delana should the time arise for a new spoo pup down the road. Peeves is the second dog from his breeder, so she is the only person we would go to for another GSD down the road.

We happened to have very good luck in contacting these breeders at just the right time to get pups within just a couple of months of looking around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, let me think. We lost one of our German Shepherds to cancer and then a year later we lost our Pug (also to cancer). I started thinking about Poodles about that time.

I started out thinking I wanted a Mini, but soon decided that I really wanted a Toy. So I started contacting breeders. I live in Idaho, but the closest breeder was in Utah. I was going to purchase a returned adult from her, but backed out when it felt weird. I contacted a breeder in California and was making arrangements to visit that summer when I discovered a breeder right in my own back yard, so to speak. She didn't have any litters, but did have an 8 month old male that she had kept back. He wasn't growing out of his east-west front feet, so she was selling him to a pet home. I went and met him and fell in love and the rest is history. He is a little more than five years old now and my husband and I adore him.

Stella was a nine week old Poodle/Dachsund mix that we adopted from a rescue in Montana in 2017. She is 18 months old now and full of beans. Looks just like a long, low Poodle. She is sweet and loving and we adore her as well. i don't think we will ever be without a Poodle.
Sheilah

1 - 20 of 26 Posts