·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*points to title*

Shadow- He's only in my name, but he doesn't live with me...my grandpa
and his girlfriend take care of him. I got him from my Dad when he was
a year old, his previous owners abused him because he barked so much
and the little boy he was attatched to died of cancer (horrible isn't it?)
Then he stayed with my grandma and got attatched to her and she
died. He's been through a lot. :(

Maddie- Shadow was her sire, I got her out of pick of the litter.

Scooter- I bought him from a breeder in Marshall, Ar after talking
to her for quite AWHILE before going through and getting him.
Her Dad met me in Pine Bluff, Ar to deliver him at 4:30 in the morning!

Why a poodle? :dog:

I think they are beautiful/adorable with a bubbly and great personality.
They are great entertainers and quite intelligent! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a child i loved the film Oliver, where the girl has a ginger kitten and a poodle called Georgette! I had and have still got asthma and poodles dont malt. My father grew up with his parents breeding apricot Toys in London so a Poodle seemed the right way to go. So ever since i was 5 i have had a standard poodle, the most we have had it 4 at once and now have two. We have had a Blue, Black, two whites and now have a silver so i guess its apricot, red, chocolate or Cafe au lait next? :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
We wanted a bigger dog, non-shedding, intelligent, easygoing, good with children. Our options (that we actually considered seriously) were Giant Schnauzers, Airedale Terriers and Wheaton Terriers. I read that Terriers are slightly neurotic in temperament, and we couldn't find a schnauzer breeder close enough that we liked, and I had a GS growing up and hated the way the beard dripped water everywhere when she took a drink... lol! I'm a clean freak. A standard poodle seemed like the natural choice.

As it turns out we might have gotten the most energetic & high strung/barky poodle on the planet, but all in all he is a really great dog.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have always had a Poodle, my very first dog was a Toy Poodle mix named Cookie :D

I started off wanting Rottweilers and I still do, they are such wonderful dogs but I never got to meet one until I started training one named Helga. I started doing more research and there were no one around me who had them (save for Helga) and no one else in my family wanted a large dog.

So then my interest went to Miniature Schnauzer whom I just ADORE! I foster quite of few of them and I still miss the last one I had but I knew that my home was not the right one for him. I will one day I a show Mini Schnauzer! Maybe once I get to old to handle Standard Poodles!

When I became a groomer I fell head over hill in love the Standard Poodle, I have had Toy Poo's and a Mini Poo and have fostered a few but the day I groomed my first Standard I was hooked! As soon as I saw that dog my mind flew to all the Standards I have ever met and I remember them all still too this day! After doing TONS of research on the breed and seeing how wonderful my client dogs were I new I had to have one and I will never be without one!

I got Tuesday from a friend/client of mine. She had 4 Standards and her husband told her she needed to give the two females back to the breeder and I voiced my interest in Tuesday and she said I could have her! I have never regretted getting her.

I bought Cher my toy mix at an auction and we rescued my mom's Mini form an elderly woman who could not long care for him.

I just love the Poodle personality! :love:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wanted a big dog and had looked at Great Danes and Boxers but my husband has never had a big dog and he was really unsure. So, I knew the Great Dane would probably be way to big and too slobbery for our first big dog. I also knew the Boxer would probably be too energetic. So I kept hunting.
Then I went to a dog show and started watching the toy poodles (and loved them) but knew that with two young boys a toy wasn't the best choice. So I began looking at minis and standards. I really liked the standards and as I began to do my research the standard seemed to fit everything we needed. So I looked for a good breeder and had two that I was going back and forth between and ended up with Wrigley's breeder and Wriggs. I love him. I am definitely hooked on the standards!

·
Registered
912 Posts
When we moved into our new house/boarding kennel I set up a grooming area to be able to bath the resident kennel dogs before they went home. People started asking me to clip their small white fluffies (SWF's) and I really enjoyed it and through wouldn't it be great if I had a fluffy of my own to practice on. Went through the list of suitable clippered dogs, and as I am a large dog person the standard poo seemed appropriate. We also have an older GSD so I wanted an outgoing, friendly dog to add to the family. Also cause we have the kennels the new dog needed to be good with other dogs and lots of people coming and going in his territory.

I started researching breeders and after talking to T's breeder and cause she was in the same state it seemed time to take the plunge. We had to wait about 6 months all up as T's dad was being imported from the States, then waiting for the bitch to come on and then waiting for puppies to be born and grow - seemed to take forever but he was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wanted another collie. My husband suggested a dog that might be more interactive with our son. The collies always sorta did their own thing and don't fetch... We both thought of standards. After the first breeder visit, I still had my heart set on a collie. I figured my husband would suffer sticker shock at the price of the poodle and fall back to the collie option. At the second breeder visit, we both fell in love with standards! Now I want MORE!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I fell in love with poodle hair. When I went to grooming school they saved poodles and hand scissoring lessons for the end of the training because they scissor skills are more difficult to learn than basic clipping with clippers. Scissoring is more advanced grooming I was told. I was one of the freaks of nature that discovered a real talent for scissoring and picked it up right away. Made a lot of the other studenst green ('excuse me for tooting my own horn for a second lol). The instructor was surprised and pretty impressed with how quickly and easily I picked it up, and not just with poodles. Even now, if given the choice between hand scissoring anything and shaving it I go with the scissors. I put an entired schauzer pattern on a dog last week with nothing but thinning shears. What better coat to scissor into anything I can imagine than a poodle or a nice bichon. I can't draw stick figures to save my life but I can create and "draw' with my scissors, anything you like. I said that I would eventually have a poodle, I prefered their personalities to bichons. As far as why I got the poodle I have now... I am home alone at night a lot, hubby works weird hours and lots of double shifts. I wanted a dog with a big bark when the doorbell rang. A standard poodle fit and had the addded benifit of not shedding which the hubby likes. He's already wanting a second one and we've only had Jazz a little more than a month. :) I am hoping to use a second standard poodle to excite my hubby a little more about dog training by getting him into doing field work with the dog. Poor guy, he didn't know what he was in for last year when he married me. Sorry, you live with a groomer/ trainer without picking some of that up yourself evetually. :)
While there are some things I wish were different about the way we got Jazz I wouldn't trade her for the world. I'm hoping to pursue an interest in competitive grooming with her in the future.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My daughter moved in with me and my mom so I could retire to care for her. AFter she passed away(in Sept) my daughter and I started looking for dogs that were not bad for allergies - since we bothhave them and asthma. We decided that someday we would like a mini poodle. I decided to get her one for Christmas. I wanted to surprise her but knew she would have to pick so we went together to the breeder. She had told the woman exactly the personality she wnted and she had put a little paint on her head to save her for my daughter. But when we got there she was not around - sleeping under a couch lol - anyway we fell in love with this other pup who was so loveable ( ha ha now she annoys us cause she wants pets all the time!) and then little Gabie came wadling out and Susie said that she was the dog she wanted - so...we got both of them! lol

My daughter later married and I felt that I wanted my own dog so I started looking at standard poodles cause I'm not a lap dog person. When I visited a breeder the dogs she brought out to meet me were soooooo big I thought no way! I mean they were beautiful and pranced like ponies - but sooo big.lol I started looking at the goldendoodle but they were big also and then found a breeder who had medium sized poodles. she didn't have a femal in the litter she was selling but told me the name of the farm that the sire had come from and they had red females, which is what I wanted - and that is how I got Gingerbread! Teddy we rescued cause Ginger needed a playmate. He was brown when we got him, hence the name Teddybear - and now he is turning silver beige. Very pretty.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We had owned and previously showed American Staffordshire Terrier's (pitbulls). After a incident with our Amstaffs we decided to stop showing. Long story short, both of our guilty girls ended up leaving us shortly after the incident. About 6 months later I started researching other breeds. I wanted a dog that was GREAT with kids, social, smart, large, good guard dog possibly, and that dog aggression was NOT a characteristic of the breed. That led me to the Standard Poodle. After about a week of researching the breed more, I looked in the newspaper and found the add for Eli's litter. Brenda (breeder) lived about 1 1/2 hrs away so she agreed to meet me and my son about 45 minutes away from my house. I knew I really wanted a black boy and she had one but Eli would not socialize with us at all. The other creme pup was all about playing and loving my son and I. Finally I had to choose....so I asked my son which one he wanted to take home to daddy. He picked the black one and that's how we got our "big black Poodle" (as my 3yr old says) lol.

Its funny because we all love Eli but at first my husband was a bit imbarrased of having a Poodle. Now he says Eli is the best dog we own and even went as far to say last night "babe don't you want another Eli when we buy a house next yr" . I couldn't believe him! Then a few weekends ago we went to a girlfriends housewarming and the other two couple's that we hung out with both had Poodles (miniatures and toys) The husbands were all over us about our Standard Poo, Eli. Evidentually they both want a Standard Poodle too. lol It was just too funny!

·
Registered
912 Posts
My OH was a bit like that when I said I wanted a poodle - "ohh very prissy and unmanly" but now at every opportunity he's telling people how wonderful this pup is, ho much more confident and outgoing he is than the GSD, and when we walk the dogs or take them out in public I get the GSD and he gets the poodle :biggrin:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Our story is I ended up in the hospital for 7 days (3 days in ICU) because of allergies/asthma and was devastated when I was told I could not keep my 2 current dogs...a whippet and a Doberman...and our pot-bellied Pig when I returned home.

It was just before Thanksgiving and I didn't feel like getting out of bed after I returned from the trip to take the girls back to their breeders. I felt like the most horrible person in the world, but thankfully I bought from good breeders who found great homes for my babies.

By Christmas we were in a new home because they found mold in the other one...another stipulation of me returning home was that I couldn't even visit our old home...and I was in a dark dark place emotionally.

My oldest son had started pre-school, (he was our only child at that time) not to mention hubby was on 3rd shift and I just felt so alone.

When my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said that we had to find a dog I could have and not worry about being allergic to...so we started our research into hypo-allergenic breeds. I visited about 20 different breeders of everything from Maltese to Schnauzers...and even some of the breeds good for allergy suffers made me sneeze. I was at my wits end because both my husband and I thought that poodles were too fru-fru...but I did want something not too big and not too small. I thought maybe I would get lucky and find a poodle who wasn't the ankle biting freak I thought poodles were supposed to be.

We found a good breeder about 1.5 hours from us and when I went to take a look at her puppies I fell in love with a little apricot female she had. The 1st visit there hubby wouldn't even look at the dogs, much less hold one but we put a deposit down and visited 1 more time before taking her home.

Punkin is now my husband's dog...and he now tells everyone that he would never own another breed. He used to say he wanted a french bulldog, but I don't hear that since we got our frenchie of course.

We love Piggy to death, but I think all her french bull dog gas passing and loud snoring has deterred him from swaying from poodles EVER again!

After Punkin we just snow balled...but we are indeed devoted poodle owners!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have asthma and allergies also and the only dogs that didn't bother me were poodles. Hubby wanted a big dog so a standard it was! I tracked down a breeder with very little research, but I got lucky because she was great and only a few hours away. After getting Sam we thought we would never have any other kind, but after having a dog in the house my allergies became a little less severe and I could tolerate most of the "hypoallergenic" dogs, including my inlaws yorkie which I adored. On a whim my husband got me a very tiny yorkie puppy, he really was a great dog, but not for us. He had MAJOR seperation issues. We loved him for 2 years and we would still have him but we met a family with a daughter who has spina bifida, they had been looking for a very small dog to be all hers and give her a sense of responsibility, but they didn't want a puppy. We gave him to her and they were meant to be together, he is her life, and she is his. I still miss him terribly but it was worth it. We just got Jenny our new standard puppy after searching for the perfect breeder for a LONG time and getting a great tip from someone on this forum :) I had to drive for 11 hours total by myself one day to bring her home, but she is great! I won't have more than 2 dogs at a time so that's it for us for hopefully a LONG time!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Speaking of that adorable Jenny...let's see some new pictures! :)
She has me wanting a white fluff ball terribly. LOL!

·
Registered
329 Posts
She is certainly not a white fluff ball right now. She loves to play outside and she played by herself in the backyard this morning for 20 minutes. IN THE RAIN!!! She is a mess!!! Sam stood at the door and stared at her like she was nuts, LOL!! He hates the rain. I am battling the flu or something today, but as soon as I can she is hitting the showers!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry to hear you are sick! Hope it passes quickly. Wriggs sends Jenny some playful bites (since that is what he seems to be doing to everyone lately. :) ) He didn't share her love of the rain. He went out and I had to tell him to go because he kept running to the door to come back in! Silly boy.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
We wanted a dog that was good at swimming, very smart, loved walking, and hypo-allergenic for me. Wanted a dog to take on hikes and to the lake.

Well we got one that does all the above except swim... we probably own the only poodle who NEEDS a life jacket.hahaha.

·
Registered
843 Posts
About 20 or so years ago our elderly neighbour died,leaving behind a lovely senior standard poodle girl named Jessica.
Noone in the family wanted her,so I adopted her.
Fell in love with the breed and there is no other dog for me now.
After Jessie left us we got Gaby...a beautiful blue girl.
Sadly,she was diagnosed with cancer(hemangiosarcoma) in January and passed on in July,few months short of 12 years of age.
Now I have Gunther....my first boy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
About 20 or so years ago our elderly neighbour died,leaving behind a lovely senior standard poodle girl named Jessica.
Noone in the family wanted her,so I adopted her.
Fell in love with the breed and there is no other dog for me now.
After Jessie left us we got Gaby...a beautiful blue girl.
Sadly,she was diagnosed with cancer(hemangiosarcoma) in January and passed on in July,few months short of 12 years of age.
Now I have Gunther....my first boy.
Gunther is so cute. Did you post pics of him yet? I didn't see any while browsing through the pic section. I really like the Standard white and creme Poodles. Well if you haven't already posted pics of him, please do.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I did post couple of pictures in the introduction.
I did not even know there is a pictures section here.
Gotta take a tour now:redface::redface:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts