Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my intro post mentioned, I am strongly considering a Standard Poodle as my next dog and since up until recently, I had been relatively set on a herding breed, I want to be sure that I would be making the right decision. So, for those of you who already have a Standard Poodle (or multiples), what sealed the deal for you when it came to selecting the breed?

If it helps with your responses, this is essentially what I'm looking for in my next dog:

- Athletic and versatile
- Biddable
- Happy-go-lucky demeanour
- Sense of humour
- Friendly with dogs and people
- Affectionate (although I realize this generally comes with age and most younger dogs aren't what most would deem 'cuddly')
- Moderate to high energy as I want to do agility as well as have an active companion who enjoys hikes and other outings
- Not fussy on amount of grooming
- At least 20" at the shoulder is a bonus

I think, based on what I've seen in online dog groups (as I'm a bit of a dog nerd), that they fit what I'm looking for really well but I'm a big researcher so I always appreciate extra insight.

As far as breeders go, I emailed Amazing Standard Poodles and Tudorose Poodles both in Canada as they seem to breed particularly versatile poodles.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I had wanted a standard poodle from way back when I was in college from knowing one who belonged to a friend of mine. I first met him when he was a pup and I just totally fell for him as a little fuzzball on my lap for a car trip. Later a neighbor of mine had one that I knew very well. Both of those dogs were black which sealed if for me on color. Once I got to know something about obedience as a performance sport that added to my desire for a standard poodle since obedience was invented by a poodle owner/trainer, Blanche Saunders.

Both of our standards have virtually all of the attributes you are looking for in spades. Lily is on the dainty side but stands 22 3/4" at the withers but is fine boned and only weighs about 36-37 pounds. Javelin is 24" at the withers and weighs just under 50 pounds.

I am not familiar with Amazing Poodles but have seen lots of Tudorose dogs around in performance venues and had even considered contacting them before I settled on Javelin's breeder Madela Poodles in Connecticut.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had wanted a standard poodle from way back when I was in college from knowing one who belonged to a friend of mine. I first met him when he was a pup and I just totally fell for him as a little fuzzball on my lap for a car trip. Later a neighbor of mine had one that I knew very well. Both of those dogs were black which sealed if for me on color. Once I got to know something about obedience as a performance sport that added to my desire for a standard poodle since obedience was invented by a poodle owner/trainer, Blanche Saunders.

Both of our standards have virtually all of the attributes you are looking for in spades. Lily is on the dainty side but stands 22 3/4" at the withers but is fine boned and only weighs about 36-37 pounds. Javelin is 24" at the withers and weighs just under 50 pounds.

I am not familiar with Amazing Poodles but have seen lots of Tudorose dogs around in performance venues and had even considered contacting them before I settled on Javelin's breeder Madela Poodles in Connecticut.
I really wish they were more common around here so that I could meet more! There's countless doodles but not nearly as many poodles. I've enjoyed the few I've met though and there's one in particular that I know online and I'm obsessed with her haha.

Lily sounds like my ideal build! Tall but light, which is preferable because it'll give me less anxiety while managing them with my papillon. I prefer the fine-boned look in general as well.

I have a FB friend right now with a Tudorose pup so I'm curious to see how she will grow up as they're my top choice right now since I'd like to stay in Canada.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Lily is very good around small dogs! It is also easy to pick her up to put her on the grooming table.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
In the 1960s I had German shepherds and toy poodles. One day at a dog show I was tapped by a big male standard poodle (Ch. Jaylee Banacek). He was on his grooming table and reached out and hooked his paw around my arm. I just fell in love on the spot and reserved a puppy from a repeat breeding. That puppy, Ch. Jaylee Charley Black, turned out to be a Best In Show winner but, more importantly, an incredible dog in every respect. I have posted previously about how I used to take him to school with me (I taught middle school) and how he helped children in my classes.

Right now I don't have a standard poodle, but I suspect another one will come along in the next 2-3 years. My mini poo, Zoe, is the life of the party at our house - we have missed her terribly while she has been out on the show circuit with Betty Brown. I am flying to Houston in 10 days to bring her home - can't wait!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Johanna thanks so much for that nice nod in my sweet girl's direction. You got the full on Lily lovin' when we met that chilly afternoon. If she ever sees you again she will absolutely remember you with all of her joie de vivre. I am especially happy with her today since she did such a nice job at rally yesterday (especially in the afternoon trial where she got a 96, only her 2nd Master score in the 90s).

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking maybe I'll have to go check out the local show circuit to see if I can meet more poodles! Unfortunately I didn't find any local breeders that quite met my criteria but it would still be nice to meet more of the breed.

Does "life of the party" tend to sum up the breed quite well? :) That's a big part of what is drawing me to them. I need a dog who can make me laugh many times through the day.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I'm thinking maybe I'll have to go check out the local show circuit to see if I can meet more poodles! Unfortunately I didn't find any local breeders that quite met my criteria but it would still be nice to meet more of the breed.

Does "life of the party" tend to sum up the breed quite well? :) That's a big part of what is drawing me to them. I need a dog who can make me laugh many times through the day.

Yuppers! Lily is a clown and has rarely met a person she didn't want to go home with.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Yep - poodles are the life of the party! A very, very famous poodle person (Anne Rogers Clark) once was discussing the nature of poodles with a breeder of Labrador retrievers. She said that after a day of hunting the Lab would come home wanting to sleep by the fire and dream but the poodle wants to be a fourth at bridge and tell naughty stories.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Hayley, a standard poodle meets all of your criteria. For me, I wanted the ultimate dog and that is exactly what I got. Now I would have a hard time getting any other breed of dog because I have the best (imho ;)). The poodles have an exceptional sense of humor and make me laugh every day. They are SO human compared to other breeds. I've never had anything close in all my years of family dogs and foster dogs. I hope you can meet some spoos at a show soon :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad to hear that "life of the party" tends to be a breed trait as that definitely appeals to me! They honestly sound like a really good fit so I'm keen to hear what the two breeders I reached out to say.

Are there any particular issues that one should know about if they're getting into the breed? Health, behavioural, etc.? I'm particularly interested in reactivity as that was one key issue I would've been anticipating with a herding breed dog.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Herding breeds are great if you want that kind of drivey dog. You really need to focus their energy and require a lot of stimulation. Poodles are less intense. With both these breeds, I'd be very choosy about finding a breeder who breeds for an even temperament. Most poodles tend to be on the more aloof side. A friend of mine is a groomer and her spoo has aggression issues and there have been several with reactivity problems...which is especially common in male spoos. Some of this is socialization but some of it is going to be genetics. You want to pick a breeder who breeds for temperament if you are looking for that outgoing and friendly personality. It would be important to meet the parents and befriend the breeder in a group setting online. I would also meet the parents to see what they are like. There are definitely breeders who have wonderful and well-tempered spoos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My options were severely limited because I'm allergic to most dogs that shed and wanted a larger dog, which narrowed down my options to only a few breeds. But aside from that, I really love how versatile poodles are! You see them excel in dog sports like agility and rally, but they can also make great family pets and even apartment dogs despite their size. They're also fantastic therapy and service dogs, which I really wanted since I work in the psychology field. I like that they're a little more aloof and reserved towards strangers compared to a lab or golden retriever until their owner gives the okay, and then they become total lovebugs. I also like their velcro nature and how strongly they bond to their owner - it makes teaching recall so much easier!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Also, you know that dog intelligence rating thing where the Border Collie did the electric install or whatever it was?

Well, before all that, the Poodle was the architect for everything, and designed and engineered all the electrical and mechanical as well.

That said, just because the Poodle did and does that, doesn't mean they are the most slavish to obey :). Sometimes, we have to justify things a bit, maybe ;). I think of it as discriminatory intelligence, but haven't science to cite.

My Tpoo is my first Poodle, and I'm his second home, but I've known for over 25 years a smaller Poodle would be a fantastic breed for me, from research and exposure. En route, I made choices that reflected my lifestyle at the time, so in 2012 I was so happy to finally allow myself a Poodle :).

I'd been studying a different Toy breed for a few years, and while they would be a good match in many ways, for several reasons the Tpoo was the better choice at the time. Time has borne out that decision.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My wife always wanted a poodle. She loves their cuteness and fanciness. We wanted a dog that was athletic enough to keep up on longer hikes. I wanted a non shedding dog.

Our poodle is affectionate, playful, and sweet. He and our 30lb dog get on well enough. He’s a good fit for our little family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
"there have been several with reactivity problems...which is especially common in male spoos"

Really? I haven't met one male spoo that I would consider reactive.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Because there is documented accountability, support, second opinions, and it gives you recourse in case anything goes awry. There are a lot of dishonesty and hypocrisy in conformation of any breed. It isn’t just those who breed mutts. I would keep a record of every conversation in writing and ask for references within the community. The most important quality I’d look for in a breeder would be honesty. There are puppy mills who would do ofa hips testing and been banned , fined , or had criminal charges brought against them. This is why it is important to meet a breeder in a online group setting or better yet at a dog show. Best if you do both and visit the kennel. A responsible breeder would have nothing to hide.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts