Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chose Beau's kibble because the breeder recommended the brand. When I found out he had pancreatitis, I switched to the healthy weight version of the brand. It's so hard to find low fat low k/cal food good for pancreatitis.

Recently I heard that grain free MIGHT be bad. I don't know whether to switch or to stay on this because of the fat content. The breeder did say that she thinks the market will start shifting over to grain food if it's truly bad, especially the higher quality kibble will be the first to switch.

Beau is going on prescription food for a month (for stomach problems) and then maybe I'll see what to feed him?

It's so hard to choose. I read dog food advisor reviews as well as this website. Did you choose the food because of your dog's health problems? How did you choose your kibble?

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I chose the kibble I feed because of m Pia's food intolerance to chicken, beef, lamb and most grains. Health Extension Whitefish and Buffalo. Pia symptoms range from belching, stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and tear stains.

Beatrice is on a prescription diet for her kidneys.

My cat Walter has chronic pancreatitis, pseudo cystic pancreas on top of having megacolon. Because Walter's Megacolon is under control his vet and I are hesitant to change his diet, double edge sword.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Great question! We feed Canidae lamb for all life stages because it's the only food that meets all 6 dogs' needs. Their ages range from 2-11 years and two have digestive issues. They all get Fresh Pet as a topper--yum! I go more off of what my dogs do well on and what my vets suggest than Pet Food Advisor and forum advice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great question! We feed Canidae lamb for all life stages because it's the only food that meets all 6 dogs' needs. Their ages range from 2-11 years and two have digestive issues. They all get Fresh Pet as a topper--yum! I go more off of what my dogs do well on and what my vets suggest than Pet Food Advisor and forum advice.
my vet didn’t really have a suggestion. She just said prescription if he’s sick and lower fat when he’s not.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
My Asta is such a picky eater. I had tried him on several kibbles including the higher priced ones. Gave away a lot of dog food to my friends. Figured out he only liked chicken and I wanted a grain free diet. (I know there is some controversy about grain free now but wasn't at the time) Well out of all the kibbles I tried he had a definite preference for Nature's Recipe, Chicken and Pumpkin (3.5 on dogfoodadvisor) Even though he is a standard he prefers the small breed size kibble. Interestingly enough, he also has a strong preference for the Nature's Recipe wet food which I use as a topper. Guess he is just a Nature's Recipe boy. Now I just stick to what I know he likes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts