Poodle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I never wanted a poodle, never had one, thought they were a waste of time and took a lot of it. Not untested in a spazoid dog. Had many other breeds and best best I've had in order of ownership was a GSD, Miniature Schnauzer, Rottweiler. All until they passed. Then my husband passed on also and I was left alone with a Mini Schnauzer, Rocky that was way attached to my husband but has adapted and is 12. Also a Carin Terrier who never exhibited a preference for nor minded anyone except who brought the food when youg brought it opinionated and independent to a fault, hated brushing and nails and shed like a buffalo in spring just year round. She passed on at 15 this spring. Then there's Annie, half Toy Aussie half mutt Spitz. She didn't get the long coat but longer than short, thick and heavy maxi shedding undercoat hair everywhere, Wicked smart not with such fragile emotions all but untrainable, squirrel chasing crazy and runs all wild animals of like a pit bull. Jeckel and Hyde. Very possessive of my attention and would be a full time lap dog, not threatening at all AMD therein lies the rub. I now live alone and manage a few old race mares and act as a sort of security guard after two break in here, one while I was in my trailer sleeping. Dogs..... nothing. Not.one.word. So, bigger dog and observant one needed. I had trained my Rottie to her Schutshund II but as this place is a rental I didn't need a dog that might take it upon herself to "discipline" an intruder and bite, liability ya know, but need to be big enough and loud enough to make strangers THINK she would bite. I'm on SS so a very expensive dog's wouldn't sho and living with two shredders, now just one, breathing loose hair not a go. The search was on, Giant Schnauzer, too expensive and hard to find and very stubborn, Doodle of some blend nougat too laid back by all accounts and no guarantee they wouldn't shed, Standard Schnauzer same as Giant....hmm Standard Poodle? Started looking around, prices out of reach and puppies few and far between at the time with little time to spare. Found a college vet student that was raising them not far away and went to look, just look. The visit went well had choice of three, 2 girls and one boy. Make was very outgoing and i figured his disposition might be more friendly that I needed, one girl was very timid, no dice, number 3 was friendly but also went off and laid back to watch and check me out then come back and chew on ne some more then back off and think on it. That was Emma, she's what I needed. Left a shock and blanket odd mine with her for the two wks until she was ready to come home. Slept with her nose near me all the way. She has the biggest bark for a girl, doesn't miss anything and watches the gate a quarter mile away, listen for the driveway alarm id she misses the gate and hears all that goes on in the barn even over the heater or AC. She's mommy's girl, Annie very jealous but dealing and Emma doesn't give a crap that she is...... I'm HERS. We've had our ups and downs but nothing dramatic. Rising in the car was an issue aft first but now I can't keep her out of it, helps with the horses, lives the barn cats and is cautious with strangers until I tell her "OK". Kept three people in a group from going into the barn at the age of 8 months without attempting biting but her manner and voice and size did the job. Size, yeah, 28" and growing at the shoulder and 60#+ with no fat. Yup, she's a big girl. She sleeps a lot when we're inside and only fusses when her body clock tells her it's time to get me up in the morning for chores and time to feed in the evening then time for the last trip outside at 11 PM. She's not chewed up anything in the house, however is anything is handled then laid down is she can lift it it's gone somewhere, anywhere but will "bring" whatever she has in ther mouth and dutifully drop it. She comes when called very well, never jumps up in anyone after we got past the flying thru the air and snatch at your had phase. Has never jumped up on people, always naturally sits squarely in front behind for attention and pets. She helps me get up and down as well since I'm older and picks up and brings things I drop. She's good with the horses and barn cats and other dogs. And then there's those eyes! They speak to me. She places her nose squarely on my chest and stares and stares trying to get what's in her head into mine with those eyes. Yup, I'm a poodle person now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first exposure to Standard Poodles started in college with a girl I was dating. She had King a brown standard, smart, funny and very friendly.
Jump ahead and I get Cinnamon a cream female. 15 years pass in a flash and Bridgette comes into my life. A white female almost 75 lbs. Completely off leash trained to voice and hand commands. Probably the most intelligent dog I've had. Next came Mooch a white male smart, loving became a Therapy Dog and now Midnight a Black Male Smart , loving is the ruler of the house.
20200310_142725.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
My mom couldn't stand pets, so I grew up without dogs. But I always heard stories about my dad's childhood friend, a spoo name Impy. We even had photos of him. When my husband and I bought our first house, one of the first things we did was find a breeder and get our own black standard poodle. How we loved that guy. Soon we got another standard, a playmate for him. And ever since then, we've had at least two standards. My older standard passed only two weeks ago, we are heartbroken over missing him- but are on a breeders list for a litter due in about 6 weeks. Standard Poodles are Pure Love.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was a mutt lover growing up and we had a few good ones. Poodles? Are you kidding me... those foo-foo dogs that rich people have? Lol. Then I met my current mate 11 years ago. She had an 8 year old granddaughter at the time when a scraggly little toy poodle with matted fur so bad that it was hanging off the side almost to the ground came limping up to them. According to the vet, she had been on the streets for some time when, for some reason, she came up to my lady and her granddaughter walking down the street and wanted to be with them. She chose them. She had her for a few months before I came along. We were trying to get together at the time, me in Illinois and she in California. This was a bit "iffy" for me. I sure didn't want some foo-foo ankle biter that does nothing but bark and tie you down from traveling. Nonie (toy poodle) and I immediately fell in love and she went with us everywhere! Small enough to fit in a purse, where she rode often. She was older. Vet said about 11 when we met so we knew we wouldn't have her too long. We made plans to get a 2nd puppy from a rescue. Put our name in and never heard from them for a two or three years. Nonie had cancer and we had to put her down at age 15. Very difficult. After years of waiting, the very next day we got a call from NorCal Poodle Rescue. Fate? They had a mother and 2 pups rescued from a place that kept them in a fenced concrete cage and was going to use them as pit bull training bait. Can you imagine? My lady friend was in deep mourning, as was I, but the granddaughter and I, after much arm bending, talked her into at least going to check it out. When might we get another chance? We came home with Sophia for a "test visit." She wouldn't come out of her carrier all day until we finally turned out the lights and went to bed. We put a footstool at the foot of the bed. She was in bed with us before long and that was it! She is sooooo smart I can't believe it. She will "Lassie" me to go get her a treat. She will "Lassie" my lady to come upstairs to wake me up in the morning. After she's fed in the morning she brings me a mouthful of kibbles and puts them on the bed next to me and leaves. Every morning! THANK YOU! Lol. She's really a mamma's girl, but kinda likes me, too. She knows many, many words, phrases, and names, some family, some feral cats we feed. You accidentally say the word "kitty" or the name of one (London, Jack, Pumpernickel, Simba, Taboo) and she's at the back door and front window barking and looking. I just asked my lady for the names and guess what happened? All have been gone for months except for Jack and London (mother of two litters, the last of which we "homed"). The others were feral and wild, except for Simba, who came it and spent some time with us. They all slowly disappeared. We tell Sophia that grandson Axel is coming and she barks at the front door, because that's where he has always come from. We tell her granddaughter Trinity is coming and she goes to the bottom of the stairs and barks because that's where Trinity came from when she spent the summers with us. She understands. When we travel she often gets tired or bored and puts her front paws on my shoulder to "talk." She's waiting for me to tell her, "OK. We're going home now," or "We'll be home soon," then she's happy. I can't imagine life without our little foo-foo dog. She's a service assist dog now and goes everywhere with us, car or plane, grocery store or hotel. She's very quiet and subdued when out and about and very vociferous and bouncy when at home. She doesn't like men, people who speak Spanish, or running children and she lets us know. I think this is due to her first 6 months in the cage. However, anyone who comes up to meet her in public is OK as long as she's hanging on Mom's arm... and that happens very, very frequently. Probably 15 - 20 times a week. People can't resist, and we can't blame them and are happy to oblige. She's such a doll. So glad to finally have a poodle. 1st 2 pics are little Nonie who passed at 15. Others are little Sophia who's 7.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_1783.JPG IMG_1791.JPG 20200720_131324.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20190908_151115.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I grew up with a toy poodle named 'Bitsy'. Bitsy was the runt offspring of my grandmother's white toy poodle Fifi. We've had all kinds of dogs over the years, but for the last couple of years the desire for a companion, a 'lap dog', and another poodle has been strong. Then coronavirus happened, I was told to work from home for at least the rest of the year, and found Maggie. Since May she has been by our side, entertaining us, and we are having so much fun with this little bundle. Couldn't be happier with our poodle choice.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I've always liked poodles but never thought of wanting one. Then our local shelter basin desperate need of foster homes and I took in a poodle, probably a mix but maybe a bigger toy or small mini and her 4 newborn pups. I raised them for 8 weeks, found the mama dog a home, I would have like to keep her but the Inn here was full, and took the pups back to the shelter who already had a list of people waiting. That lil mama dog was aVery cleaver. We found as time went on that she had been abused and at one time had a broken pelvis that was never repaired. Vet said likely she was kicked and he was surprised that she even delivered that litter. My neighbor has since moved but we stay in contact. Then the people who moved into her house had a standard and just adopted a 2nd, I pet sit for them and knew I had to have one too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We had a SPOO when I was a child, he was a beautiful, tall boy named Pierre. He was given to us from someone who I did not know. I was only 8, but remember him being so watchful of us while out in the yard and him sleeping on our bed. When we left California for Florida, my parents gave him away (we drove, with 5 kids and a UHaul and they said there was no room 💔). Fast forward to 1979, I worked in a bank and one of the tellers had a tiny little white tea-cup named Delta April Dawn, Dawnie for short. She was @ 5 years old and needed a good home. I bought her for $50! I had her for years before I had my first child. He loved her dearly, but she was too tiny for little boys. In 1987, shortly after having my second child, he developed so many allergies, his pediatrician said the dog had to either go outside or go. . . I was heartbroken and took months to find the perfect home for her. I kept in touch with the new owner for years, until Dawnie passed away at 21 years old. 21! I have never known a dog to live that long.
My husband and I had Bouviers for years and love the breed but I needed a dog tha was not AS protective as a Bouvier to be my service dog, and I thought of how smart, easy to train, loyal, and beautiful poodles are. So I started the search for one. Only took @ 5 months to find my breeder, who was actually within an hour of my home. I lucked out because she is actually a trainer as well! My husband was totally against getting a poodle. He thought they were fu-fu dogs for the rich. His mind has been changed! He is awed by her intelligence and the way she is a different girl when we are out and about, and while at home, sits and watches everything, including our grandsons when they are playing outside. I am so attached to this girl, maybe because she is my first service dog, I don’t know. But I cannot imagine my life without her. 💜💜

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought this might be a fun topic to discuss! How did everyone fall in love with or even acquire their first poodle?
Growing up I thought of always thought that Poodles were just pretty show dogs only, until I started my vet tech job and met tons of poodles. I was introduced to Kai a handsome black Standard poodle who was groomed often by our groomer and for what ever reason I knew that I need to have a poodle as my next dog. Now I have Phoebe my first of many poodles hopefully!
I thought this might be a fun topic to discuss! How did everyone fall in love with or even acquire their first poodle?
Growing up I thought of always thought that Poodles were just pretty show dogs only, until I started my vet tech job and met tons of poodles. I was introduced to Kai a handsome black Standard poodle who was groomed often by our groomer and for what ever reason I knew that I need to have a poodle as my next dog. Now I have Phoebe my first of many poodles hopefully!
When I was eight years old in 1961, the owner of show standards had to give up their 2 year old black male standard after he and his mother stalked and killed the neighbor's cat. You could say he didn't like cats but I think it was more his mother. Dogs ran loose back then and they acted as a team. Anyway...we brought Bijou home and from that moment on, he was MY dog. I fed him, bathed him, and even learned how to groom him. He had already been through obedience school so he was a dream come true. I could teach him to do anything. For a little girl he was so much fun. He would even show up at my school and find me in my classroom. Of course mother had to be called to get him. Ha! I've been a standard poodle lover ever since.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
In 1954 my parents gave me a little golden book called Pantaloon. a story of a black poodle. I grew up with beagles and had them for many years. I always wanted that poodle. Finally got her in 2002....Iris and I were together for 14 yrs. one day we ran into a lady at petsmart with her boy poodle....his name was Pantaloon. His Mother still has her copy of the book...as do I. Iris is gone and I have Poppy, who is 4. I just re-read Pantaloon the other day. It is still quite charming, ...66yrs later.😁
IMG_2293.JPG

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had a book called "the green poodles" by Charlotte Baker, and for me it was a choice between a poodle or Albert Payson Terhune's collies. When I finally got a dog (after six years in the Army and four years college), it was a Giant Schnauzer because my best friend was working for a breeder and introduced me to them. After three Giants I got my first poodle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a book called "the green poodles" by Charlotte Baker, and for me it was a choice between a poodle or Albert Payson Terhune's collies. When I finally got a dog (after six years in the Army and four years college), it was a Giant Schnauzer because my best friend was working for a breeder and introduced me to them. After three Giants I got my first poodle.
View attachment 468957
The world can have Lassie. I'll always choose Lad of Sunnybank.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
The only poodle story I remember reading as a kid was some moral decision story. Kid wants a proper mutt dog like what his friend has. Family gets transferred to France. Parents, through family connections, get the kid a poodle named Fifi. Kid is horrified. Kid also happens to be the only one in the family who speaks French, so he is handling the translations as the parents meet with landlords. They find the perfect apartment. Everything is going well, landlord is fine with the properly French Fifi, and then the kid mentions the possibility of getting the proper mutt he wants. Landlord considers the mutt a dealbreaker. Parents know something is wrong, but they don't speak French. Kid now has to decide: content himself with Fifi or screw over his family by holding out for the mutt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love all the wonderful stories people have told about their Poodle experiences. I thought I did not like Poodles. My daughter had a MPOO that was aggressive, my sister purchased a TPOO online (puppymill) that had a lot of medical issues (thankfully she had the means to care for her and loves her). I had seen a couple of women on my road occasionally with SPOOs and kind of liked the looks of them. I also admired the training. They would be off leash and as I would be driving up the road they could point and even if the Poodles were on the opposite side of the road they would sit and stay.
I have had a few different breeds in my time, Dalmatians, Yellow Lab, Greyhound (retired from the track) , German Shepherd and rescues (two of which I have now). When my Shepherd died of Kidney disease I didn't really think I would get another dog. I am 66 now. But my husband wanted another large dog. I didn't want anymore Shepherd hair. That's when I started looking at Standard Poodles. He's 10 months old now and I love him so much!!!! No regrets !!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts