Poodle Forum banner

How Did You Become a Poodle Lover?

4K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  cowpony 
#1 ·
I thought this might be a fun topic to discuss! How did everyone fall in love with or even acquire their first poodle?
Growing up I thought of always thought that Poodles were just pretty show dogs only, until I started my vet tech job and met tons of poodles. I was introduced to Kai a handsome black Standard poodle who was groomed often by our groomer and for what ever reason I knew that I need to have a poodle as my next dog. Now I have Phoebe my first of many poodles hopefully!

#28 ·
I've always liked poodles but never thought of wanting one. Then our local shelter basin desperate need of foster homes and I took in a poodle, probably a mix but maybe a bigger toy or small mini and her 4 newborn pups. I raised them for 8 weeks, found the mama dog a home, I would have like to keep her but the Inn here was full, and took the pups back to the shelter who already had a list of people waiting. That lil mama dog was aVery cleaver. We found as time went on that she had been abused and at one time had a broken pelvis that was never repaired. Vet said likely she was kicked and he was surprised that she even delivered that litter. My neighbor has since moved but we stay in contact. Then the people who moved into her house had a standard and just adopted a 2nd, I pet sit for them and knew I had to have one too.

#29 ·
We had a SPOO when I was a child, he was a beautiful, tall boy named Pierre. He was given to us from someone who I did not know. I was only 8, but remember him being so watchful of us while out in the yard and him sleeping on our bed. When we left California for Florida, my parents gave him away (we drove, with 5 kids and a UHaul and they said there was no room 💔). Fast forward to 1979, I worked in a bank and one of the tellers had a tiny little white tea-cup named Delta April Dawn, Dawnie for short. She was @ 5 years old and needed a good home. I bought her for $50! I had her for years before I had my first child. He loved her dearly, but she was too tiny for little boys. In 1987, shortly after having my second child, he developed so many allergies, his pediatrician said the dog had to either go outside or go. . . I was heartbroken and took months to find the perfect home for her. I kept in touch with the new owner for years, until Dawnie passed away at 21 years old. 21! I have never known a dog to live that long.
My husband and I had Bouviers for years and love the breed but I needed a dog tha was not AS protective as a Bouvier to be my service dog, and I thought of how smart, easy to train, loyal, and beautiful poodles are. So I started the search for one. Only took @ 5 months to find my breeder, who was actually within an hour of my home. I lucked out because she is actually a trainer as well! My husband was totally against getting a poodle. He thought they were fu-fu dogs for the rich. His mind has been changed! He is awed by her intelligence and the way she is a different girl when we are out and about, and while at home, sits and watches everything, including our grandsons when they are playing outside. I am so attached to this girl, maybe because she is my first service dog, I don’t know. But I cannot imagine my life without her. 💜💜

#30 ·
When I was eight years old in 1961, the owner of show standards had to give up their 2 year old black male standard after he and his mother stalked and killed the neighbor's cat. You could say he didn't like cats but I think it was more his mother. Dogs ran loose back then and they acted as a team. Anyway...we brought Bijou home and from that moment on, he was MY dog. I fed him, bathed him, and even learned how to groom him. He had already been through obedience school so he was a dream come true. I could teach him to do anything. For a little girl he was so much fun. He would even show up at my school and find me in my classroom. Of course mother had to be called to get him. Ha! I've been a standard poodle lover ever since.

#31 ·
In 1954 my parents gave me a little golden book called Pantaloon. a story of a black poodle. I grew up with beagles and had them for many years. I always wanted that poodle. Finally got her in 2002....Iris and I were together for 14 yrs. one day we ran into a lady at petsmart with her boy poodle....his name was Pantaloon. His Mother still has her copy of the book...as do I. Iris is gone and I have Poppy, who is 4. I just re-read Pantaloon the other day. It is still quite charming, ...66yrs later.😁
Games Recreation Card game Book Illustration

#32 ·
I had a book called "the green poodles" by Charlotte Baker, and for me it was a choice between a poodle or Albert Payson Terhune's collies. When I finally got a dog (after six years in the Army and four years college), it was a Giant Schnauzer because my best friend was working for a breeder and introduced me to them. After three Giants I got my first poodle.

#35 ·
The only poodle story I remember reading as a kid was some moral decision story. Kid wants a proper mutt dog like what his friend has. Family gets transferred to France. Parents, through family connections, get the kid a poodle named Fifi. Kid is horrified. Kid also happens to be the only one in the family who speaks French, so he is handling the translations as the parents meet with landlords. They find the perfect apartment. Everything is going well, landlord is fine with the properly French Fifi, and then the kid mentions the possibility of getting the proper mutt he wants. Landlord considers the mutt a dealbreaker. Parents know something is wrong, but they don't speak French. Kid now has to decide: content himself with Fifi or screw over his family by holding out for the mutt.

#36 ·
I love all the wonderful stories people have told about their Poodle experiences. I thought I did not like Poodles. My daughter had a MPOO that was aggressive, my sister purchased a TPOO online (puppymill) that had a lot of medical issues (thankfully she had the means to care for her and loves her). I had seen a couple of women on my road occasionally with SPOOs and kind of liked the looks of them. I also admired the training. They would be off leash and as I would be driving up the road they could point and even if the Poodles were on the opposite side of the road they would sit and stay.
I have had a few different breeds in my time, Dalmatians, Yellow Lab, Greyhound (retired from the track) , German Shepherd and rescues (two of which I have now). When my Shepherd died of Kidney disease I didn't really think I would get another dog. I am 66 now. But my husband wanted another large dog. I didn't want anymore Shepherd hair. That's when I started looking at Standard Poodles. He's 10 months old now and I love him so much!!!! No regrets !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.