Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be a fun topic to discuss! How did everyone fall in love with or even acquire their first poodle?
Growing up I thought of always thought that Poodles were just pretty show dogs only, until I started my vet tech job and met tons of poodles. I was introduced to Kai a handsome black Standard poodle who was groomed often by our groomer and for what ever reason I knew that I need to have a poodle as my next dog. Now I have Phoebe my first of many poodles hopefully!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My love for poodles started with my love for one of my favorite Disney characters! Georgette, the prissy little poodle from Oliver & Company and if you've watched the movie, you’ll know that I also have a love for the mischievous, scheming antagonist in movies lol. I know most poodle lovers probably don't like her because it portrays most poodles as foo foo show dogs only, but I kind of liked how pretty and stylish that poodle appeared in the movie. I just had to look into the dog some more and I began to love the history behind poodles as well, I love dog breeds with meaningful history to their name. I’d love to own one and do my best to live up to it. Not to mention, I kind of love touching their hair! ;) I can pet a poodle all day.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The very first family dog that I remember was Heidi, a sweet boxer who was a bit too boisterous for my 18m old little brother. She went to live on our great aunts farm,

Then came Cocoa, the some kind of terrier. He was too opinionated for a bratty neighbor child who taunted him into nipping. I only remember great distress when we had to give him up.

And then I truly fell in love with a dog. I was around 10 I think. Dad usually pulled up to the garage but this evening he drove to the front door and then didn't get out of the car. We went out to see why and he was sitting in the drivers seat, huge grin on his face and a tiny furry black blob under his arm, with large, liquid black eyes. That was our Mimi, a mini poodle. She was so smart and so pretty and such a character. Maybe it was just because I was finally old enough to appreciate the poodle qualities but I knew with Mimi that I'd always have a poodle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too felt similarly, poodles are just pretty show dogs. Then due to my living circumstances, a large dog was out of the question. My friends where I live usually have maltese or mini bichons or similar. When researching and looking, the second I saw what would become 'my Toffee' the searching was done.

Although shes a challenge, as expected, every second has usually been filled with smiles and laughter. So much fun and so smart!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been lucky enough to know 2 wonderful purebred poodles one was a sweet little mini named Moe that I "dog sat" as a teenager. He was a great little dog, his owner was a really nice older gentleman. He flipped houses for a living and one day when he arrived on the job-site there was this man trying to sell as he put it " a ratty looking little white dog". He loved dogs, and this one needed help so he gave the man $50 and took the dog intending to get him healthy and find him a home. But it turned out that Moe had already found his home. :)

Then there was this beautiful guy . . .

my Aunt Sherry's Spoo Mocha. When this pic was taken he was 12yrs old, and still as spry and energetic as ever. Mocha was very sweet and loving, but also very protective and so SMART. . . all qualities that I really liked in a dog. When he was a young dog they moved to Colorado, one day my Uncle was at work and the kids were in school. It was just my Aunt (who is a little petite lady) and Mocha at home, she was busy unpacking bringing things in from the garage etc. She heard a noise in the garage, and went to check. Some strange guy had broken into the garage and was getting into their stuff! My Aunt screamed, but before she could do anything else Mocha pushed past her and chased the man out the door and down the street. He was such a good boy just a really great dog. :love:

And then there was my Poodle mix Charlie

He was the best dog smart, sweet, and loving. And pretty tolerant I can't tell you how much silliness the little sweetie (my oldest niece) in that picture put him through :LOL:, and he had no problem with most of it. If he was really bothered he would just get up and walk away. I got him for free through an ad on craigslist I was looking for a small-ish male dog, and had a pretty specific temperament in mind. I had an older female Pomeranian at home and needed someone that would get along with her. Charlie fit into our family so well it was like he had always been here. He really was the best dog ever, and I miss him very much he was "my good boy" (one of his nicknames).

Knowing these 3 great dogs really helped me decide to get my own poodle, and now I think that there will always be a poodle in my life.

·
Super Moderator
5,372 Posts
I had a rocky start with poodles. The first and only dog to ever really bite me was a feisty old cream mini named Ralph, who sunk his teeth into my toddler foot as I swung it over the edge of a table. I still remember staring down in shock at the tooth marks left in my skin.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and I fell in love with the poodle part of my old girl Gracie. Smarts + sensitivity + no shedding? It was a no-brainer to add a poodle to our family after she died, rather than gamble on another mix.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I became a poodle lover by necessity ! When you have severe allergies to animals in general, there aren’t many dog breeds you can have. So I decided to try a poodle, since I’d never had one. I guess I liked it because now I have two of them, lol !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ever since I was a little girl I always was enamored with the super short sleek haired breeds...Dobies, Great Danes, Greyhounds, many of the hound breeds, Pitties...I love to see the ripped muscles on a dog. 😂
However, there were two breeds in addition to them that I loved and they would be GSD’s and Standard Poodles.
My husband and I were only familiar with mixed breeds, doggies whom we loved. Our first purebred was our Great Dane, Moose. He needed a home and was poorly bred and at 6 months came to us as a wild, out of control,crazy boy. We were actually in over our heads but we learned quite quickly.
He had anxiety issues and he had a lot of digestive problems his whole life. He was not an easy dog, although he was a breeze to groom! He was the sweetest, most cuddly dog either of us had ever experienced and we loved him dearly. After he passed we were heartbroken but we were quick to want another dog as we hated
being dogless. We went back and forth with ourselves, should we rescue, should we get a purebred, a mixed breed, a puppy or older dog?
It really was a dilemma.😉 We are an older couple with grandkids and really wanted to get this right. I’ve always had a dream to train a therapy dog. Although we had never, in our lives, purchased a purebred dog we decided, based on our desires for what we wanted in a dog and the need to know, at least somewhat, what we would be getting into, a purebred pup was what we were going get. Then of course the question is, what breed?
Well, I’m the researcher in the family so I researched and researched and I, of course, researched the Standard Poodle as it was on my list of favorites. I always remembered this white Spoo who used to run around the neighborhood when I was a little girl so Spoos always intrigued me.
We would have loved another Great Dane as we do adore them but we weren’t up to raising a pup that size again.
I kept crossing the poodle off the list though because of the grooming. I really love those “low maintenance,” muscled dogs, remember? 😉 But, the more I read and listened to my heart, especially regarding temperament, the Spoo won us over!
We just love our Bobby. He really is a fabulous dog. His temperament is fantastic!
And he doesn’t shed!😁 I love grooming day and so does Bobby and the primping and preening we do between grooming appointments is really quite therapeutic!😉 We both love his curls.
And, because we keep him clipped short, I can even admire his ripped
thighs.😂

·
Registered
772 Posts
We've always had greatly loved sporting dogs and terriers, but as we got older it seemed time for a small easier to handle companion dog. I never considered poodles because of the elaborate showy coats, so it was with surprise that I learned that under the fluffy hair poodles were real dogs.

I think that dog shows do poodles a disservice by only showing dogs in elaborate coats. I had no idea there were options. There's a place for both.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
It was an evolution. When I was a kid I really didn't much care for poodles. I knew a few ill bred minis and toys. Poorly groomed, yappy, obese, bow-legged, tear stained: really the kind of dog only its mother could love. There was one cream colored standard in the neighborhood that used to scare me. He was fence reactive, and his owner had a split rail fence. Every time I went past that house the spoo would run along the fence barking. I was terrified that one day he would duck between the rails and come after me. Yet he never did.

Fast forward to adulthood, and I was finally in a position to get a dog again. I wanted a big dog, one which could protect me on walks and come on trail rides with my horses. I checked out local rescues, expecting to see the assortment of purebreds and spaniel/terrier/poodle mutts I remembered from my childhood. Instead it was almost all pitbulls, chihuahuas, and pitbull/hound crosses. My husband was a first time dog owner, and we had a cat. We simply were not the right family to take in a dog with a strong personality and potential strong prey drive. Plus, our homeowners insurance does not cover bully breeds.

So, that meant finding a dog from a breeder. My family has always favored bird dogs: spaniels, setters, pointers. However, I was not impressed with the dogs I saw locally. Sketchy health, sketchy temperament, just not what I wanted. Thinking about it more, I remembered that standard poodles are also a bird dog. Smart. Trainable. I remembered the jerk of a standard poodle from my childhood. He looked like a fluffy white sheep, but I'm sure he would have protected his owner if someone caused trouble. Plus poodles, unlike shepherds, don’t shed. OK then.

It was now settled in my mind. I wanted one of those innocent looking curly coated badass bird dogs. Of course, my husband was appalled. Why would I want a dog with pom poms? Then one of our friends got a poodle as a farm dog. Her dog was so smart, so fun, and so athletic that my husband fell in love. Pogo and Snarky came home with us a bit over a year later.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I never really never thought about havihg a poodle - but my SIL a was a vet tech. One day she brought SADIE to me - looking for a good match. I knew nothing about poodles but wandered on this site. SADIE needed evrerything - grooming, finding the food that she would eat, etc. SADIE died of bloat - didn't know anything about it. But she had taught me to love poodles . My Asta is an incredible boy - so smart, so loving - it is a pleasure to be his "mom"

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I love this!

In 1994, a friend of a friend had to go on vacation for three weeks over Thanksgiving. And she ran a dog rescue group. She was able to find fosters for all but one, and he was a giant dog. She left him in her backyard with my friend going twice a day to check on him and feed and water and play with. She went there the second time one day, and found Rikki in the backyard. Someone just dumped him in the yard because they didn’t want him any longer.

The next day I went with my friend to the lady’s house, and she let this adorable toy poodle out of a gigantic crate inside the garage. He had a
Sooo much energy and just zoomed around in circles for quite a while. I HAD to offer to watch him until the lady got back in 2 weeks.
He was amazing! I’d never had the all-out love for a dog that I had for him, well, in about 48 hours. He was a perfect fit with me! I’d never felt that before.

The people that dumped him, had told a lot of people how to reach S about adopting him after she got back. I had told my friend, K, to plead on my behalf for me to keep him.

S returned home and called me and said she could come pick him up. I began pleading (and crying) my own case to her... I was so scared she’d take him. But my friend had built me up with her. And she explained to S how the day after I took him home I got him groomed. I bought hm a couple of outfits to keep him warm. I went to the flea market and loaded up on toys, water and food dishes, quality food, nice collar and leash among many, many other things I did, and got for him. She proceeded to laugh at me, but then say she’d be so happy for me to keep him, and that I’d spent so much money on him I’d already spent more than the adoption fee, so not to worry about that. Rikki was 7 when I got him, and I was so fortunate to have him for almost 9 more years. He was amazing in every way, and I’d had no expectations of how poodles should be. Overwhelmingly amazing is all I can say about him. So that’s when I fell in love with poodles. I was 34 years old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Edward Scissorhands, Oliver & Company, and Look Who's Talking Now. Ive always been a movie lover and those 3 were some of the main reasons for falling in love with spoos. As a little girl I had 1 toy and 1 mini, one got stolen and the other tragically passed. We've had other breeds since then. I fostered a Doberman for a while and I knew instantly that I wanted them in the future... That was until I realized I was allergic. I was heartbroken. Years later and after 2 kids we decided to get a dog. We knew we wanted no shedding, we knew we wanted a well tempered breed, an intelligent breed, and a larger size dog. I decided to bring up the subject to my husband, an AVID BULLY BREED LOVER. He was hesitant at first but agreed to go meet the puppies. We went to meet an amazing breeder and 5 puppies. 3 brindles and 2 black abstracts. The 3 brindles were too rambunctious and nippy for our small children. And while 1 black just lied down like he owned the place, the other came right up to the couch, squeezed his way between us and sat behind us for the rest of our visit. He chose us. He'll be 4 this October and he's my best friend. Noble is mine all mine. He's my shadow. Wherever I go he goes. My husband and kids wanted another dog for them since Noble is so 1 person. And so, we get our little girl this Saturday. ☺ My husband, all of his "poodles are sissy dogs" friends, my 3 macho brothers and all of my friends adore our boy. He came and changed everyone's mind about the breed. In fact when discussing a 2nd dog he (my husband) was the one that insisted he wanted another SPOO but a girl this time. I love male pets, he loves females 🤷🏻‍♀️. All I know is, my kids and my 6'1" tough guy are extremely excited to bring her home. Want to know what this grown man chose to name his girl? Sprinkles 😅 can't wait!

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I was quite little we had a cute black and white cocker spaniel (my mother's shadow), while the neighbor across the street had two black mini poodles. I envied those poodles so much! First, they got to live with Mrs. Abshire who I loved because she gave me candy. Second, they had their own M n M's jar, and Mrs. Abshire would throw an M n M through the air and they would leap to catch it. I always asked to be able to give them an M n M, and of course fed myself while feeding them. What can I say- chocolate is the bedrock of my love for poodles! (Disclaimer: chocolate is really bad for dogs, don't try this at home. We were stupid in the 70s).

In second grade my mom brought home a cocker-poodle mix named Toby, frequently called "the best dog in the world" by people who knew her. Perfect dog: trainable, biddable, loving, patient. We were famous for having a doorbell that went "Ding dong bark." And that was the extent of her barking. That time I was walking her in a city park and a bear showed up? She was completely silent except she leaned hard on my leg. Together we stared down the bear, and as soon as the bear went around the corner we raced back home.

As an adult I had a couple aussies, and then a cavalier. Sweet fun dogs, and SO MUCH HAIR. Then my youngest daughter was going through a hard time. She is a big animal lover and I thought "I'm going to bring a little dog home from the pound for her." Enter: Navy, a Lhasa-toy poodle mix. Once again I found myself with a great dog who intuitively figured out our household and his place in it. I remember talking with his groomer one day (she had poodles) and I said "I think it's the poodle in him that makes him so awesome." And she said "of course it is!" I began to think about purebred poodles. And I thought and I thought for about 5 years...

And then came Violet. My confident, playful beauty queen. My shadow, car co-pilot, hiking companion, softness tester, sous chef, and Covid disaster therapist. Kissing her muzzle and having my ear licked does not make the devastation of these last 6 months go away, but it makes it bearable. She gives me a reason to blow bubbles in the backyard, and I'm thankful.

7C9E09DC-0CD9-47DC-B595-9589AE38CEE7_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My journey to poodle ownership and poodle loving was very slow. I never really met any pure poodles, only mixes for a very long time.

I had a cocker poodle mix as a kid. She was my best friend from the time I was 5 until I went off to university and my parents put her down one week before I came home for Christmas. She was a pet store dog, pretty tough and independent, but a great friend and confidence booster for me. If I camped on the lawn? She slept in the tent. Went for my first walks around the block alone? She came too. Canoeing? Bring the dog. She was covered in sebaceous cysts towards the end, had occasional seizures, and lost bladder control, and was in quite a bit of pain. I loved that dog, stubborn, prey drive, snarly moments, and all. I suspect, based on her coat, she was likely 75% poodle, as she looked very much like an apricot mini. I saw her out of the corner of my eye for years after she was gone.

In that time, I realized I was allergic to most dogs, but not her. So I knew I wanted a non shedding dog, likely a poodle mix. Another cockapoo? Labradoodle? Goldendoodle? Sheepadoodle? Hmmm... I knew based on research to guarantee the non shedding coat it would need to be 75% poodle, and I wanted a breeder that health tested extensively. Slowly, the idea dawned... why not just get a pure poodle, at that point? All the traits I was looking for were in a poodle, and the breeders seemed far more responsible.

Somewhere in there, I had a university project where I ended up at the home of a retired woman, drinking tea and chatting. She had a black standard poodle, and I fell in love. Friendly, but very attentive to her human even while tshe hung out by my chair and I petted her. Athletic, calm in the house, she seemed to hang onto her humans every word.

About 4 years later, I was finally in the position to own a dog, and I finally got a black standard poodle of my own, and she is pretty wonderful too. Poodles are infectious - I now have three friends who want a poodle of their own.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had never wanted a poodle when I was younger either. Like Cowpony, my exposure to poodles had been very poor specimens. My mother had collies and later bouviers. My husband and I could not afford a purebred so we had mixes people needed to rehome. First, a malamute mix,
and then a Aussie/sheltie cross. When he died, my mom talked me into collies. I adopted my first heart dog from our local pound. She was a petite purebred collie who fit my personality perfectly. Then we added a male through collie rescue. I still love the breed but I was so over the hair everywhere and having sticky rollers in our cars, by every door, etc... because you couldn’t leave the house until you got the hair off your pants🙄. When our last collie died we were dogless for two months and I hated it so much. On a whim I looked for poodle breeders near me for the non-shedding, and found a puppy about an hour away. I knew very little about what I was getting into, maybe that was best-LOL
Now I cant imagine being without one, although as I get older I am not sure will be able to manage spoos because I do my own grooming. Perhaps I will have to have a mini next time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I’ve owned a boxer before and fostered pit bulls. Did not know much about poodles. My son ironically landed up being allergic to dogs. We did not get a dog after he was born for the longest time and finally when my daughter was born we decided we should at least foster a small dog and give them the experience. So I started looking at hypoallergenic dogs. My cousins have a golden doodle so I started researching doodles. Avapoo, cavapoo, golden to silver doodle I searched them all but in the end was enamored that the common denominator was the poodle. Hence then started to research poodles and honestly never looked back. I mean, I don’t have anything against any other of these dogs but the qualities of a poodle won my heart. And to top it all the poodle was the only dog saliva my son did not react to. We get our first mini in Sept and I cannot wait!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I’ve always thot standard we’re a cool breed. I have such allergies that pet owning never was in the cards I thot. I went to visit a breeders goldendoodles and they didn’t bother my allergies at all BUT they shed..even tho she said they didn’t. 😉 I’ve always love black animals. Maybe because my husband has black hair and my girls do. I just think it’s beautiful and my fav color. With all that said my black standard poodle was perfect fit. I’ve made it thru savage puppy phase now onto teen phase. Prayers please!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts