Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was getting my morning coffee, my dad said he'd sweep the house. Great, I thought.

But then I came home 5 minutes later to find him on his hands and knees using furniture polish (Old English, I think) on our hardwood floors in the kitchen. I freaked out as he acted like he wasn't doing anything wrong and I was overreacting. When he left, I tried to clean as much polish as I could off the floor. The dogs had already run through it, though.

Well, now I have a drooling Frosty and I can't help but think he's been poisoned by the furniture polish. Also, our air purifier has had the red light on all day, whereas it is normally blue (meaning the air is clean).

I have to take Zooey to the canine dermatologist this afternoon, so while I'm there I'll ask about the danger of the furniture polish, but does anyone have any advice in the meantime? Any ways of dealing with a senile parent with zero common sense (the same man who hosed his dog to bathe her and then had her dip in the pool to rinse off)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,651 Posts
Think it will be ok as long as puddles of it weren't left. I would damp mop it and use a swifter dry pad. That should take most of it off and shampoo the dogs feet. Aging parent..just compassion and a thanks but I don't use that on the floor as it gets too slippery and I don't want you falling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,294 Posts
OMG! Furniture polish on a hardwood floor is a big no no. It can make them insanely slippery. I think the vinegar and water was the best hope. Let us know how it turns out. I don't think it's terribly toxic unless they drink it. It sounds like you have things under control. (I hope) Keep us posted. What would possess your Dad to clean a floor on his hands and knees anyhow? Oh dear...sorry he's having difficulties and you too, to have to deal with it. :argh:

One time when I lived in my "big house" with a large entry, all hardwood floors, I was dusting a secretary desk that was in the entry. I sprayed just a wee bit on the front of it to wipe it off...didn't realize a tad bit of mist must have fallen on the floor. As I walked away in my sock feet, I slipped so extremely with my weight in my heels (didn't expect this at all) and my legs went out from under me, I fell on my back and it my head on the floor. This was several years back. So, furniture polish anywhere, the slightest bit on a hardwood floor can be lethal. If I do use furniture polish (once in a while) I put it on the rag first, not spray it so that it gets on the floor or anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG! Furniture polish on a hardwood floor is a big no no. It can make them insanely slippery. I think the vinegar and water was the best hope. Let us know how it turns out. I don't think it's terribly toxic unless they drink it. It sounds like you have things under control. (I hope) Keep us posted. What would possess your Dad to clean a floor on his hands and knees anyhow? Oh dear...sorry he's having difficulties and you too, to have to deal with it. :argh:

One time when I lived in my "big house" with a large entry, all hardwood floors, I was dusting a secretary desk that was in the entry. I sprayed just a wee bit on the front of it to wipe it off...didn't realize a tad bit of mist must have fallen on the floor. As I walked away in my sock feet, I slipped so extremely with my weight in my heels (didn't expect this at all) and my legs went out from under me, I fell on my back and it my head on the floor. This was several years back. So, furniture polish anywhere, the slightest bit on a hardwood floor can be lethal. If I do use furniture polish (once in a while) I put it on the rag first, not spray it so that it gets on the floor or anything else.
OMG Pb, I'm so sorry about your fall! On your back and hitting your head--doesn't get much worse than that :(

Thank you for calming me down about the toxicity factor of the polish. I read your message but didn't have time to reply before the vet visit. He agreed that they're all probably fine, but to wash the feet with water.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,115 Posts
It is so hard when our loved ones slip into another zone and sometimes it is dangerous. I hope your dad does not take any other projects like this one. Can't afford a disaster for either you or your pups. Be well and all of you safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for listening, Claire. Unfortunately, he is extremely prone to poor decision making and will probably pose a hazard to me and the dogs until we move out. I just have to find ways to reduce the risk as much as is in my control until then.

All the dogs seem fine and Frosty appears to have stopped drooling (crossing fingers), so that's good :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,928 Posts
Woah, glad it wasn’t worse !

If I were you I would just throw out all the nasty stuff in the house. Slowly, one by one, so he doesn’t even notice. And replace them with environmentally friendly products.

His dog washing technique is something my dad would have done...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Dechi. I have thrown out and donated TONS of stuff since I moved back home. 95% of the time, he doesn't notice. But if he does, I have to watch out! He was out of town all day on Labor Day, so I worked for hours, cleaning and getting rid of stuff. One of the things I threw out was a dead plant in the front of the house. Well, today when he found out I threw it out, he went through the trash (filled with dog poop bags) with his bare hands and got out the plastic flower pot on the bottom of the can. He then went through the yard waste and picked up all the pieces of the plant and replanted the thing :ahhhhh: He is so stubborn and annoying, it is insane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,651 Posts
Well being honest I probably would have pitched a fit first, lol I was my moms caregiver for 7 years. Sometimes I didn't exhibit great patience and when I look back now I regret those times. Overall though we made a good team and I would do it all again b ut with more patience and understanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,928 Posts
Thanks, Dechi. I have thrown out and donated TONS of stuff since I moved back home. 95% of the time, he doesn't notice. But if he does, I have to watch out! He was out of town all day on Labor Day, so I worked for hours, cleaning and getting rid of stuff. One of the things I threw out was a dead plant in the front of the house. Well, today when he found out I threw it out, he went through the trash (filled with dog poop bags) with his bare hands and got out the plastic flower pot on the bottom of the can. He then went through the yard waste and picked up all the pieces of the plant and replanted the thing :ahhhhh: He is so stubborn and annoying, it is insane.
Ha Ha Ha ! Sorry for laughing. Now this reminds me of my mom. Sooooo stubborn, I’ve never seen anyone like her.

The positive aspect is you get to practice your patience...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,294 Posts
Ha Ha Ha ! Sorry for laughing. Now this reminds me of my mom. Sooooo stubborn, I’ve never seen anyone like her.

The positive aspect is you get to practice your patience...
You've never seen my mom. I think your mom would meet her match if she met my mom. hahaha...soooo stubborn. Now she's just deep into dementia so she can't help anything but omg! Difficult is right!

MF...unfortunately, it doesn't get better. Grrrr.:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,270 Posts
((((HUGS))))) and plenty of patience being sent your way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PB, as someone with anxiety, I do already worry about the future and things getting more difficult. :afraid:

Thanks, Skylar :hug:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top