Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that there are people out there that go through alot of dogs because they go over the standard. Is there a way to know if a particular breeder usually breeds in size? :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have been told that there are people out there that go through alot of dogs because they go over the standard. Is there a way to know if a particular breeder usually breeds in size? :)
Well the breed standard for standard poodles does not specify a limit.

So I am not sure what you mean ?

A local breeder out her had a big stallion dog ! he was very large but correct in every way he finished quickly. I am not sure how tall he was but he had to be 27 or more inches.

Enzo is small bitches usually out size him. I think Enzo is 24 at the shoulder. I normally see males 25-26 in the ring.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the breed standard for standard poodles does not specify a limit.

So I am not sure what you mean ?

A local breeder out her had a big stallion dog ! he was very large but correct in every way he finished quickly. I am not sure how tall he was but he had to be 27 or more inches.

Enzo is small bitches usually out size him. I think Enzo is 24 at the shoulder. I normally see males 25-26 in the ring.
The AKC size standard is measured at the withers or shoulder blades, toys 10 in and under, minis over 10 but under 15 in and standards over 15 in.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The AKC size standard is measured at the withers or shoulder blades, toys 10 in and under, minis over 10 but under 15 in and standards over 15 in.
so you asking about mini's and toys then. I just assume you wanted to know about standards lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
If they are breeding AKC conformation minis/toys, then they should *generally* breed within the standards. There are no guarantees though. It is not uncommon for a prized show prospect to get too large. One way to tell if your mini or toy is in danger of passing the limit is to feel its little front leg at the knee joint as they approach the limit. If they are still growing, you will feel a bump there on the growth plate. This bump flattens out as the dog is at adult height. Many of the female toys that are used for breeding are actually oversized. The tiny ones just have a hard time with puppies.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you asking about mini's and toys then. I just assume you wanted to know about standards lol
Yes, I am looking at the toy poodle breeders. I have toys and of the 3 I own, only one is in size. When I was at a show, one of the handlers told me about how people go through alot of dogs because of them going over the size requirement. I was just wondering how you can find a breeder that is consistent in breeding close to the AKC standards.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This is my second toy of two that has exceeded 10 inches at the shoulder. I think of it like human boys, sometimes they shoot up to 6 ft or more even if their parents are shorter. I guess you would have to spend a lot of money on a very well-bred puppy to get one that was as close to guaranteed as is humanly possible to stay under 10 inches. Females are probably the better bet for staying small. *this is not an expert opinion* :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cute picture of Teddy. I think you may be right. I didn't realize how hard it is to find smaller toys. Of the 3 I have, the one in size happens to be a female.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts