Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when we first got Belle, I was always taking care of her 24/7 since I was jobless. Well then when I got a job, my grandpa who lives with us took on the dog-sitting duty.

I was very much against this because I know he stays in his room all day and Belle would be wandering around the house to fend for herself. BAD IDEA for a puppy!

So I told him, "If you're going to be in your room, crate her. She can not be left by herself. When she is by herself she gets bored and will become destructive. So either take her in your room with you, or crate here. Either way she MUST be watched ALL OF THE TIME!"

On several occasions I had come home and found torn up toilet paper. Chewed up children's toys, and other things. So this was a huge sign to me that he was not listening to me.

I took charge and started crating Belle when I left in the morning, just to come home and find her out of her crate!

Then I got pissed off and took action once again saying that I'm tired of coming home to destruction, and that something needs to be done.

Well then Grandpa claims he has been watching her, even though there were signs that on occasion he wasn't, the toilet paper in my room is the biggest sign.

Today, however, it was not toilet paper I found in my room. It was ant poison. Those little packages with the block of ant poison inside, yea I found that chewed up in my room today!

Now I'm livid. I stormed to his room and banged on his door and shoved the chewed up packages into his hands and hollered at him, "LOOK WHAT SHE GOT INTO TODAY! THIS IS THE REASON WHY SHE NEEDS TO BE WATCHED 24/7 LIKE I SAID TO BEGIN WITH!!!"

Then he goes and tries to put the blame on someone else saying he found them on the floor and that they should not have been there. Okay well, several things are on the floor that are hazardous to ANYONE but when Belle is WATCHED and TOLD TO STOP she STOPS! And I again said, "She NEEDS to be supervised ALL OF THE TIME!"

So he tries to cover his tracks even more, "Well this is a solid block it can't get into her system cuz she can't get to it!" I bitched even more, "SHE CHEWED RIGHT THROUGH IT! SHE GOT TO IT!"

He gave up and went to his room.

So, I called my vet and was told to give Belle two table spoons of peroxide and let her run around in the yard to churn it up in her stomach and make her puke.

At this minute I have a chronically vomiting toy poodle in my front yard, with people out walking by looking at me like I'm insane.

WHAT A JOYFUL THING TO COME HOME FROM A HARD DAY'S WORK TO!

Am I pissed? VERY!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey MakeShift <3... I would be pissed off too... hell ya! But give the old guy a break... he is not a baby sitter. If he is not reliable, or in a capable physical/mental state that allows him to properly watch Belle to your specifications, than you know you should seek alternate arrangements. Ya, I know it's hard, you have to go to work, etc... but this is part of having a dog and juggling life. OR, properly clean up the place to make it dog proof so that grandpa doesn't have to commit his entire day to watching Belle. You know and I know that I am just sayin' stuff that you are already well aware of.

I hope that Belle gets to feeling better. The vet really recommended 2 tbs of peroxide? for a toy poodle? yikes! The rule of thumb is one tablespoon per 30 pounds of your dog’s body weight. Little Belle can't weigh more than 6 lbs? (I'm guessing here..)

Let us know how it turns out.. hang in there!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
It sounds like she needs more Belle appropriate toys.

Seems like she's getting bored, so she's finding other things to entertain herself, hence the toliet paper and poison. My advice is to get LOTS of doggy friendly toys. Ropes, stuffies, vitabones, and especially kong toys you can pack full of treats. Rawhide isn't advised.. since poodles are velcro dogs and that doesn't excuse sticky things.

Puppy proofing your house is much like baby proofing it. Get down on all fours to your dogs point of view, having things she can access is setting her up to fail so put those non-doggy things away. Don't give her that opportinity, and she won't have to be watched constantly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe you could find a sitter or daycare for her?
I know when I get old, the last thing im going to want to do is chase a puppy around.
He really doesn't even have to chase her. As long as he's around she'll lay right next to him or at least close enough to where she can know he's there and relax. But apparently it's too difficult to let her come into his room when he decides to go in there.

Really HE'S the one who practically VOLUNTEERED to watch her after he decided he was going to take it upon himself to let her out of her crate when I was trying to go through the crate training process.

And I'm not doing any doggy daycare. I can't afford to. :/

Anyway after throwing it all up she was feeling better instantly and didn't puke anymore. So all is clear on that end. I'm still upset though because like I said, he practically volunteered to watch her by not just leaving her in the crate. So now Belle's pretty much NOT crate trained at all. When I lock her in there she cries now, which drives me up the dang wall.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Makeshift, sorry for what happened : ( but it is how it is- your grandpa is not going to change. He is not evil person , just has no energy or capacity to take care of your pup. Maybe he thought he could and wanted honestly to help, but than found it overwhelming or he is not capable for whatever reason.

Your pup is your responsibility and nobody else's. It is same as with little kids - if your sitter is not reliable , you HAVE to find anther arrangements. Since you have a small dog, you can designate one room for him/her and put gate on that room. Baby-proof that room and fill it up with dog toys of all kinds. Your puppy will be MUCH safer that way and still would not be confined to a crate.

Many breeders would tell you that crated dog is not the best solution, but it is safest in situation like this .

I wish you the best of luck in resolving everything !

PS: There are many sites that explain crate -training . Some crying is expected : (, no dog likes to be locked up at first, but they get used to it - that is why it requires "training".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts