Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to pluck my pup’s ears the other day because they were a bit smelly. he doesn’t like the powder and the hemostats are impossible to use because he keeps moving, I did half a ear but the inner fluffy is still there ,and gave a treat every time I plucked but because he kept making crying noises I stopped. Advice?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's the advice of a novice at-home groomer with only 2 years of experience. As puppies, my family's 2 standard poodles would wiggle and cry like big babies whenever I would pluck their ears. Even at 2 years old, they still don't LOVE getting their ears plucked, but don't fight it like they used to. My advice would be to be patient and get what you can with your fingers before going in with the hemostats. Especially with a wiggly pup, it is easy to accidentally pinch the skin inside their ear if you are not super careful and can see clearly what you're doing. Another potentially helpful tip is to hold your pup's head firmly against your body and try to pluck the opposite side. It is good that you are treating every time you pluck to build that positive association. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
Too much at a time and it hurts a lot - it is not easy to build happy associations with pain. Ear plucking is a bit controversial these days, especially if using haemostats - there is evidence that plucking damages the skin inside the ear and increases the risk of infections. I would try building up happy associations with having ears rubbed, tickled and handled, then use ball ended scissors to remove as much hair as possible and fingers to remove a few hairs more if necessary (teeny, tiny pinches of as few hairs at a time as possible, not big chunks). If his ears are sticky and smelly he may already have an infection or mites, and you need to consult your vet.

Reactions: Rose n Poos and Liz

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I pluck my boys ears, I hate it but its necessary as he gets thick hair deep down and without plucking his ear wax doesn't drain. I use my fingers, and get what I can. Now that he is older, and its not his favorite as I've pinched him I can use the hemostats sparingly. When I am done I always follow up using zymox with cortisone ear cleaner. It soothes his ears. If I don't which I put off for a day last ear pluck, his ears get sensitive to touch especially if I had let it go too lone, which I did. I thought for sure he was getting an ear infection from all by pulling. But it was just irritated and the drops made it all ok. I did use a professional groomer his 1st 2 years and that helped him learn his grooming manners.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’d have his ears checked by a vet for yeast infection and then have a groomer do his ears as needed. My groomer does my dogs ears as needed. I m sure glad I don’t have hair in my ears. It seems to hurt.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I don’t think you can teach a dog to « like » plucking but he can learn to tolerate it. I only do it every 6-8 weeks to both my dogs, and use my fingers. I don’t try to get all of it and I stop when the dog has had enough. It hurts and it’s not fun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I learned grooming, we used hemostats. But when I did the plucking, I hated how the dogs screamed. So I created a habit of using fingers to pull smaller tufts. Takes longer but it's easier on the heart, the dogs, and our friendship :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts