Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the poodle, and was wondering how big they get?
I didn't know what breed he was when we first brought him home. He was so dirty and matted, all you could see were two little eyes looking out through a curtain of hair! My neighbors a groomer, and when she shaved him down, out popped a standard poodle pup! He was underweight at first, and has put on 13lbs in the 3 weeks that we've had him. The vet puts him at about 4 months old, and he's already 33lbs! I'm thinking he'll be between 60-70? Does that sound right?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There is a big range in Standard poodles. Some can be as large as 70+ pounds, and others hardly tip the scales at 30 pounds. I'd say the average is between 40-50 pounds.

One of my boys stays between 45-50 pounds, and my other boy hovers in the 60-65 pound range.

At this age, you don't want them gaining too much weight too quickly as it can be hard on their growing joints. 33 pounds seems a bit heavy for 4 months, but I haven't had a puppy in so long I'm not entirely sure.

If the background of your puppy is unknown, he could also be a doodle. Doodles are generally heavier than poodles, and I'd say 70 pounds is the average weight range for doodles.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
The usual rule of thumb is that an adult dog will weigh approximately twice their weight at 16 weeks - not terribly useful, I'm afraid, as you can't be sure of his age and he has gained weight rapidly since you got him!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
As everyone said, their size varies. Henry is about 26/27 inches at the withers and just under 60 pounds, Tony (deceased) weighed about 60 pounds as well. My standard poodle puppy, Millie, was 26 pounds at 4 months and about 32 pounds at 5 months. I am guessing she will be between 50 and 60 pounds when she is full grown. I would say it seems like your boy may be on the bigger side.

Best of luck! I had tears in my eyes when I read your story on the other thread!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts