Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
I think he will definitely be able to counter-surf. :) Now's the time to diligently keep your counters clean, to make sure he never gets rewarded for it. That should help prevent the behaviour from taking hold.

As for adult weight, I found this calculator to be quite accurate for Peggy:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
What a handsome boy! Yes he can reach counters, tables probably with a swipe of his nose. Teach him now that its not permitted and for the most part keep those counters clear. Once they learn too it the most difficult to untrained, if you even can. While harsh I would throw something at the dog, like a aluminum can filled with 13 pennies (sealed of cours) from out of sight. He learned this awful thing happened if he went to steal off the counter. Now for the most part he is oblivious to whats on the counter, though I don't tempt him but I can at least make a sandwich and turn around of prepare things. My neighbor on the other hand just said no and if he was obedient he was praised highly. Unfortunately she can not put anything down anywhere for 20 seconds and he will grab it and its gone. But he is a bad boy ..he will steal anything, and everything. My boy was just under 40 lbs at 4 months. At one year he weighed 53 lbs. He is n ow 2 1/2 and is 68 lbs. b

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! That was very helpful!! According to that calculator, Sparky will be a little over 60lbs. So far, he has had good manners in the kitchen, but I don’t expect it to last forever. I like that aluminum can idea. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
We used an empty cola can and specifically 13 pennies, we taped it well with duct tape so that the pennies would not fall out. Also we didn't let the dogs know where it came from so that they didn't associate with us. At time I let it sit on the counter and if his snout went up there he knocked it off making a loud noise. It didn't make him afraid of loud noises in other areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts