Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And what size did they end up being? Nova’s dam is 16inches and currently 18lbs and sire is right at 15inch. There is some toy in his background so I’m not sure how that is going to effect her size if it does.

Nova will be 5months next week and her weight is 7.4lbs and top of shoulder blade is right at the top of a ruler so she is 12 inches at 20 weeks and 2 days. I seem to remember Sandy being taller at this point.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went back through my old post and Nova’s mom Sandy was 11.4 lbs at 19 weeks. So big difference in weight. I wished I had measured her then. Sandy at 10months was 15lbs and 15.5 inches.

I think Nova might end up a little smaller (hoping).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine was 15 lbs, not sure about height. He is big though, at almost 9 months Willy weighs 19.5 and is measuring 16. So he is a bit oversized. I got him from forever poodles in Ocala, so he is from a reputable breeder. He’s just on the big side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm still trying to get a good height on my boys but my bigger boy, Neo, went from 2.8lbs between 8 and 9 weeks up to 10.4lbs at one day shy of 21 weeks.

Now, at 2 years and 7+months, he's between 14-15lbs and probably 14-15".

My smaller boy, Remo went from 2.3lbs to 8.4lbs in the same time frames as above and is now 12-13lbs and an inch or so shorter than his brother, Neo.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think Misha is following a path closer to Sandy. I think he was around 11.5 lbs at 19 weeks. Now he's 8.5 months and he's 16.5 lbs and 15". When he was smaller all I wanted was for him to grow. Now I'm like okay okay you can stop now! The puppy weight calculators always predicted him at around 16 lbs, but I know it varies with diet. I suspect he will top out around 18 lbs. He is lean but very muscular. He was the smaller of the two black boys in his litter! I wonder how big his brother is now.

I think Nova will definitely be smaller, but exactly how small is hard to predict I think. If I was betting I'd say 11 lbs :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I
I think Misha is following a path closer to Sandy. I think he was around 11.5 lbs at 19 weeks. Now he's 8.5 months and he's 16.5 lbs and 15". When he was smaller all I wanted was for him to grow. Now I'm like okay okay you can stop now! The puppy weight calculators always predicted him at around 16 lbs, but I know it varies with diet. I suspect he will top out around 18 lbs. He is lean but very muscular. He was the smaller of the two black boys in his litter! I wonder how big his brother is now.

I think Nova will definitely be smaller, but exactly how small is hard to predict I think. If I was betting I'd say 11 lbs :)

I like Sandy’s size but for showing purposes and traveling a smaller size will be easier. Here is Sandy 18 weeks

And Nova at 18 weeks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
She is looking so pretty! Love that fluff. Curious, what difficulties have you had with travel regarding Sandy? Misha's breeder travels with her larger miniatures without issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it’s more when we travel with all 3 kids in the car and then have 2 poodles. Smaller will make it easier. Also if I could get her under the seat in a airplane I could travel to Va for their shows since my family lives there already ( or at least that’s the idea.. ) . Sandy is way too big to fit..we bought the bag and tried.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well it’s more when we travel with all 3 kids in the car and then have 2 poodles. Smaller will make it easier. Also if I could get her under the seat in a airplane I could travel to Va for their shows since my family lives there already ( or at least that’s the idea.. ) . Sandy is way too big to fit..we bought the bag and tried.
Yeah that totally makes sense. Oh man that sucks. I am going to fly Misha home for Christmas and so far he fits in his bag alright. I keep telling him to stop growing. Did they turn you away at the airport? I have heard it can be particular agents at certain airports that are really strict.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that totally makes sense. Oh man that sucks. I am going to fly Misha home for Christmas and so far he fits in his bag alright. I keep telling him to stop growing. Did they turn you away at the airport? I have heard it can be particular agents at certain airports that are really strict.
Nova has some extra fluff right now because I don’t know how much to take off for the show in Jan. I have a well known groomer that is going to fix her for me at the end of December. So other than FFT I’m just leaving it be so I won’t screw it up.

No I didn’t try at the airport because I was pretty sure they would refuse us and I didn’t want to risk missing a flight. We had the XL bag and Sandy’s legs are just too long for her to curl up small and no way could she stand. Maybe she would have before she thickened up as she was on the lean side for awhile but she is more stout now. I blame it on the food. She stayed more lean on a grain free diet but not since we switched.

·
Registered
149 Posts
At 19 weeks Ateles was 11 lbs and 14". Now at a little over a year and a half he is 18 lbs and 16.5". He reached his full height at 8 months, and then added on about another 2 pounds as he continued to fill out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found out the biggest of my litter that is now 5 months (girl) is currently 11.25 inches and 11lbs. So she is slightly shorter and heavier than Nova. The other girl is 13 inches and 13-14 lbs estimated ( no scale) . My guess is that she will be oversize or very close.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts