Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't start this thread as a competition or anything...I just thought since we have so many different sized poodles out there amongst us maybe we can learn something by everyone comparing notes.

To be honest I got Daisy my standard at 2 yrs old, so I have no idea how fast she grew, when she stopped growing...or if she stopped growing yet. I have another girl I got as a 40 lb 4 month old...and now she is @ 6 months I think she has put on quite a bit of size. I thought large breeds went through 2 pretty big growth spurts...and if she hits another one no telling how big she will get, I suppose!

I am mostly interested in standards, but if anyone wants to share their other sizes that would be great, too! I am sure someone will find your size results of some interest!

You can add weights if you want, but I think that since so many things can weigh in on a dogs size that its too hard to use weight as a good measurement to use. Thanks!

My standards
Daisy-20 inches at withers and 22 inches from withers to base of tail-2 yrs old female

Casey-21.5 inches at withers and 21 inches from withers to base of tail-6.5 months old female

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found an easy way to measure mine. I take a string that is about 6 inches longer than I think they are, then hold one end of the string at one end of the point (like the floor or their withers)...then take the string and run it along their body to the points you want to measure to. Mark off the point with your finger then measure the string...its a lot easier than trying to measure a dog with a ruler or tape measure!

I know they use wickets to measure some breeds...but my method is pretty accurate when they are standing up and I kneel beside them.

I would have to guess your guy is about 7-8 inches tall and length...or less, but that is just a guess MM. How old is Scooter? Is he an adult or still growing?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I would have to guess your guy is about 7-8 inches tall and length...or less, but that is just a guess MM. How old is Scooter? Is he an adult or still growing?
That sounds about right. He is 7 months old, so I believe he is done growing
or not going to get much better?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Jazz is ummmmm 22 inches tall, 22 inches long (withers to base of tail) and weighed 47.8 pounds three or so weeks ago. She is 3 years and 2 months old according to the registration I got on her, although the origional bill of sale (it was stapeled to her registration and came from her first home- we are her thrid home) listed her birthday a year earlier than her papers?? Back yard breeder to be sure, but at least she eventaully found a good home.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sammie is 28 inches at the withers, unless I measured completely wrong. He is almost 70 lbs, and just turned 3.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not sure how tall T is but he was 15.8 kilos at his 16 week vet check. Will measure him tomorrow night and post cause we're going out tonight and won't have time.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Ginger and Teddy are both 24 high but Ginger is 26 long and Teddy is 24 long. Ginger weights about 42 lbs and Teddy weights about 50:santaclaus:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did my smallest male to see, since he was born last January and done gaining height and length, I think.

Shippo- 8 in tall and 7 in long (3.6 lbs and I wish he would gain about 1-2 more before he is done, talk about a finicky eater :banghead:)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Murphy will be 6 months old on the 11th. She's 23 inches at the withers, 20 inches from withers to base of the tail and weighs 37 lbs.

Does anyone know when standards stop growing? I can't find a growth chart anywhere and I've read they can grow until they're 18 months to 2 years old. Not sure if thats height or filling out to their final weight. I assume they stop growing in height before their weight stabilizes.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You know that's a good question - when do they stop growing? Teddy was supposed to be two when we rescued him but he grew for almost a year after that. He was much smaller than Ginger, now he is the same size, except in length, and weighs more.

·
Registered
305 Posts
He probably was younger.
Sammie was pretty much done in height when we got him at 16 months. He continued to fill out a bit for several more months.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I think you are right - that might be why he has been so "puppy-like" since we got him. He is calming down a little bit. but he still acts like a puppy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, I just had my 5 month old standard puppy - Steeler in the vet last month and he said he would max out in height at appro. 6 mos. of age and then fill in. Seems about right to me, he was growing about 3 pounds a week and it was scary , he seemed to grow before our eyes but it has tapered off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi, I just had my 5 month old standard puppy - Steeler in the vet last month and he said he would max out in height at appro. 6 mos. of age and then fill in. Seems about right to me, he was growing about 3 pounds a week and it was scary , he seemed to grow before our eyes but it has tapered off.
Interesting! I had Murphy at the vet yesterday. She said Murphy could grow in height for another 6 months and then fill in for another 6 after that. She's just turned 6 months old now.

I guess only time will tell. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
From my experience with standard poodles,they are a slow growing breed.
I would say most of them will reach their height by about 12-18 months.
They continue to fill in and gain muscle till about 24 months.
I believe their size is measured strictly by their height at the withers,as weight is a very individual thing.
You can have stockier,heavier poodles or tall lanky ones.
Mental maturity is another story...none of mine were 'grown up' till at least 3 years of age.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well finally got to measuring and T is 24 inches at wither, 23 inches long and will be 6 months old next week. Last Friday at the vet he was 20.2kg (which is 44.5 pounds according to my online conversion :lol:)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts