Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ww, thats huge! Dreamer is 40 lbs an 21 1/2" and she is 15 months old. At 15 weeks she was 10lbs and 12". What is his height and can you feel his ribs?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, he seems huge to me too. Much bigger than I expected. You can feel his ribs. I think he is alittle too thin, but that is probably because he is growing so fast.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Do you think he is maybe older than 15weeks? Or do you have AKC or other papers on him that state his birthdate?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe he is 15 wks. I do have his akc papers and his bday is correct for 15 wks. The lady I got him from had been taking him to my vet for puppy shots, starting at a little over 8 wks and my vet says he is 15 wks. No way to be positive but I have no reason to think he isn't. I am thinking he will be 65-70 lbs. Is that unusual for a standard poodle?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Lou was 29lbs at 16 weeks old.
I thought she was huge for such a young puppy. (Her dad was a huge 90lb red poodle, her breeder told me)But now at 21 months old she is 60lbs and 26" tall, as of yesterday. But she is very lean, she is not very food motivated (but eats well the amount I feed her) and exercises a lot! So if she didn't have such an active lifestyle she'd weigh about 65-68 I think.
Apollo, used to weigh 65lbs at around 14 months old. (Before I rescued him he didn't exercise much) Even though they are the same height and same age their weight was different, so it depends on how built they are, Lou has a lot more muscle than Apollo, he now weighs 58lbs

So I believe your puppy will definitely be a large spoo, but now .. the weight depends on lifestyle and genetics, some also have heavier bones etc :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That sounded really big to me, too, until I looked back at Jazz's records. She was 34 pounds when we got her at about 4.75 months(about 20 weeks), 42 pounds at 7 months, 48 pounds (on our scales) at 14 months, and 45 pounds (on the vet's scales) at 18 months. (She certainly didn't appear to have lost weight between 14 and 18 months. More likely the discrepancy was due to two separate scales.) Doesn't sound to me like there's really a big difference between your pup at 15 weeks and Jazz at 21 weeks. Maybe they grow fast at first and then slow down? Of course, your pup is a male, and they tend to be larger than the females. (Jazz's parents were between 50 and 55 pounds, so I expected her to be a bit bigger.)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well Dreamer was always a skinny baby while her brother was on the plumper side. Both of her parents are over 24" and her brother is already that big. He should be about 60lbs full grown.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Spicoli weighed 29.7 pounds at his last appointment and he was just shy of 16 weeks so that sounds right to me.

We are expecting him to be a big boy. He comes from lines known for larger spoos on both sides. Currently he is right at 20 inches at the shoulder. His dam was 27 inches and his sire was pushing 28 inches. We are expecting him to be in the same range but that is just a guess. This topic really interest me.

I specifically wanted a larger spoo so I hope he ends up tall. Not big so much as tall. I just personally like tall dogs no real reason why.

I would guess that your boy will be a bigger spoo at that weight paired with that age but I am no expert. LOL!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Spicoli weighed 29.7 pounds at his last appointment and he was just shy of 16 weeks so that sounds right to me.

We are expecting him to be a big boy. He comes from lines known for larger spoos on both sides. Currently he is right at 20 inches at the shoulder. His dam was 27 inches and his sire was pushing 28 inches. We are expecting him to be in the same range but that is just a guess. This topic really interest me.

I specifically wanted a larger spoo so I hope he ends up tall. Not big so much as tall. I just personally like tall dogs no real reason why.

I would guess that your boy will be a bigger spoo at that weight paired with that age but I am no expert. LOL!

Me too!! I wanted a large dog, (but healthy!!) but come to think of it , I actually wanted a TALL dog, because I'm clumsy, and my 2 poodles are totally cool with it because they are tall ;) but the plus is I can carry them if I have to! (Up the stairs even!!) Even though they seem huge to people, they are light weight for their hight, ya know? :D some of my friends when they first met my Spoos they were like: "oh my those are huge dogs!" And it has also happened that I was walking Lou down the sidewalk this guy comes out of nowhere toward us and all of a sudden he jumps 3 feet back , scared to death! "sorry ma'am but that's a BIG dog! It was just instinct" Hahahaha and she was like 7 months old! :p But really really hairy! And friendly! (That picture of her was taken about the same time period!)
ImageUploadedByPG Free1392102414.857260.jpg

And below is Apollo, he looks big even when he is shaved. I just figured out the "tall thing", It's true, I didn't want them to be heavy, just tall and healthy!
ImageUploadedByPG Free1392102530.630851.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
My Jazz was 22 pounds at 14 weeks old and 28 pounds at 17 weeks. He is about 52 pounds now. He is 25 inches tall. I suspect your puppy will be a big standard, but they go by height, not weight, because there is such a huge variation in build. Jazz is tall and slim.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Yes healthy! That is the most important thing. I don't agree with people trying to breed just to get a larger size. I don't want a dog that is so big he ends up with hip and joint issues or anything. So yes just tall but not too tall and healthy very very healthy.

Lou, your puppies are beautiful!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Hey I found this tid-bit of info maybe it will help. Don't know how true it is but it is worth a looksy.

Growth Plates
Puppies grow quickly within the first six months of their lives, gaining most of their height during that time. They continue to get just a bit bigger over the next six to 14 months and should be close to, if not at, their adult height by the time they are a year old. This is because their growth plates start to close around the six-month mark and should be fully closed after a year to 14 months. A fairly accurate calculation you can do to predict an adult height for your puppy is to multiply her height at six months by 100 and divide that answer by 75. For example, a puppy who is 8 inches at the shoulder when she is 6 months old should be between 10.5 and 11 inches at the shoulder when she is finished growing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey I found this tid-bit of info maybe it will help. Don't know how true it is but it is worth a looksy.

Growth Plates
Puppies grow quickly within the first six months of their lives, gaining most of their height during that time. They continue to get just a bit bigger over the next six to 14 months and should be close to, if not at, their adult height by the time they are a year old. This is because their growth plates start to close around the six-month mark and should be fully closed after a year to 14 months. A fairly accurate calculation you can do to predict an adult height for your puppy is to multiply her height at six months by 100 and divide that answer by 75. For example, a puppy who is 8 inches at the shoulder when she is 6 months old should be between 10.5 and 11 inches at the shoulder when she is finished growing.
I sure hope that formula is accurate!!
my Spoo is exactly at 6month as of today, shy of 21". I was reallllly hoping for a tall one, and according to that formula, he will be around 28" at full growth;that'll be my dream come true.. lol
Since I'm at 6'1", i hate bending over to give him treat or even just pet him during our walks..

·
Registered
731 Posts
10 lbs at 15 weeks is tiny! My standard poodle puppies at 8 weeks right now range from 8.5-11 lbs.
Yes, it is. She was just a tiny bit bigger than Rollie. But her breeder has smaller spoos with the females averaging about 18"-22" and the males up to 24". Sometime my mom and I joke that her brother Racer stole her height and body mass as he is several inches taller and aways so much more plump.
How are your babies?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all,
Xerxes (he is an standard poodle) is 24 pounds at 14 weeks. I’m trying to figure out how big he will get at full growth? You think he will be above 50?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hello all,
Xerxes (he is an standard poodle) is 24 pounds at 14 weeks. I’m trying to figure out how big he will get at full growth? You think he will be above 50?
Thank you
I've been using this calculator and it's been consistent since Peggy's 12th week or so:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don’t think that formula works for smaller dogs. That would make Nova bigger than her mom . While it’s possible it’s not likely she will be almost 17 inches.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts