Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a standard puppy (or possibly a mini) and am curious about the sizes of your standards? Height/Weight? How much of a hardship has it been if you have a larger one?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Paris is 43 pounds and two years old. Her size isn't a problem but you have to train well enough that it isn't an issue. Her shoulders are 24 inches. I'd like her to weigh around 50, but she insists 43 is her goal weight!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Why would large size be a hardship?

Ok, I like big dogs. I'll have to measure Max when I get a chance. I hope he keeps growing. I like the idea of a poodle that's not a dainty little dog!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I tried to add a silly smiley to my post to indicate a wink but it didn't work. I was being facetious. Our vet said to hope Max stays under 50 lbs so his Interceptor pills will be cheaper! He just hit At 8 mos, he's 50 lbs. so I think he'll be a bit bigger.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a 15 month old Standard bitch who is about 55lbs and I think if I remember right 26 inches at the withers. :slug:

I like all dogs in all sizes and I LOVE my Standard but she can be a hassle when we take her places but I adjust because I love the Standards. :llama:

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose likes to ride in the seat of the car or truck, he can't curl up on the frontone though but hte back he just does fine :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My black Poodle Eli is a larger boy weighing 53 lbs at 1 yr. Mikey my brown Poodle is maybe 38 lbs at 9 months and ATLEAST 3 inches shorter then Eli. Im afraid of Mikey staying small.

Eli had a very noticeable growth spur at 11 months and Im hoping Mikey does the same. I prefer a large standard and I hear the UKC prefer's larger Standard's too. Please Mikey get bigger!!!!! lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jen
I just LOVE Mickey so much... how about if he doesn't get the size you want , you just send him here! Plus, I love his color.
When I first started looking, I wanted to get a smaller standard but I will say that the right kind of breeders around me (health testing) seem to have males within the 25/26 inch and 55ish pound. Which I think is beautiful, but just makes me pause to really be sure we are ready for that size.
Oh, and do standards lean like Great Dane's? Where they use your body to let themselves slide to the floor? (We had a lab that did that too)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Jen
I just LOVE Mickey so much... how about if he doesn't get the size you want , you just send him here! Plus, I love his color.
When I first started looking, I wanted to get a smaller standard but I will say that the right kind of breeders around me (health testing) seem to have males within the 25/26 inch and 55ish pound. Which I think is beautiful, but just makes me pause to really be sure we are ready for that size.
Oh, and do standards lean like Great Dane's? Where they use your body to let themselves slide to the floor? (We had a lab that did that too)

You better be careful saying that.... I just might send him to you. lol Mikey is a different boy. There is just something about him....almost like he's weird. He is very loving and always wants to hug but still weird. I can't explain it though. Maybe its that brown Poodle thing people talk about. Just different!

Im not fimiliar with the leaning thing. I haven't noticed that with my boys..atleast not yet. lol I do think if you like Standard size Poodles then you will get used to the size. They are so much fun.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ok so Im just retarded or Mikey had a good growth stur. Now Eli and Mikey are a inch part in height. Yea!!! :high5:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Albert is 42 pounds and 25 inches at withers. He is 7 years old and very fine boned. Brody is 50 pounds and 26 inches at withers. He is 3 years old and more solid and sound.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sammie is 28" at the shoulder and about 68 pounds.
I love how big he is, but if I get another poodle it will be a bit smaller; I couldn't handle two that size at once. I also have to be careful he doesn't knock small children down when he's playing; he doesn't do it intentionally, he's just a very happy dog. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Clan

Diana is 25" at 53 pounds.(2yrs) She is a sweetie,very gentle and will lay down a take a nap with you.Throw treats at her and she turns her head as to say hand feed me. My Dal/Lab mix (98pounds at 3 yrs) however can catch popcorn at 25feet. She is the boss of the house

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts