Poodle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did Embark DNA testing for Reggie and was wondering exactly how accurate the Relatives portion of the testing is. The first relative that came up was a stud dog that (according to Embark) shares right around 50% of Reggie’s DNA, which should make him either Reggie’s sire or full brother. However, this dog is not the sire listed on Reggie’s paperwork and cannot be Reggie’s full brother as the dog is older than Reggie and Reggie is from the dam’s first litter. Should much stock be put into these results or should it be viewed as a “for fun” result?

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,090 Posts
The result is accurate, but your interpretation likely isn't. Poodles (like all breeds) are inbred, so you cannot gauge two dogs' familial relationship based on shared genes like you can in humans. See Embark. The easiest explanation is that the same dam and sire were mated twice. Do you know the sire from the other dogs' litter? Another explanation is that the breeder used line breeding at some point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes much more sense. Embark labeled the relationship as the dogs being brothers or father and son, which is why I questioned it. Unfortunately I don’t know the other dog’s sire, but line breeding is a definite possibility.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
362 Posts
Could it be be a littermate to either his sire or dam?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He could be a littermate to Reggie’s sire. Reggie’s breeder doesn’t dock tails and other dog has a docked tail, so I wouldn’t think he’d be a littermate to Reggie’s dam.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,090 Posts
That makes much more sense. Embark labeled the relationship as the dogs being brothers or father and son, which is why I questioned it. Unfortunately I don’t know the other dog’s sire, but line breeding is a definite possibility.
With one line breeding you can get an expected value of 75% (higher with repeated line breedings), which opens up so many possible relationships it's impossible to predict.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I had no idea it could get that high just from one line breeding. Genetics are so interesting and complicated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts