Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a 9 year old female toy poodle spayed and a 2 1/2 year old male neutered and my female is getting very cranky with my male. I’ve had them both since they were puppies and she has never been crazy about him being in the house even after 2 years but has tolerated him. She dominates him and he doesn’t seem to mind. Lately though she has gotten overly aggressive toward him especially around food. She is very food aggressive and he is not but she still snaps and growls at him if he is close to any food of any kind. He likes to play with a chew toy and she does not but she snaps at him when he plays with his toy.
I’m worried that she will hurt him or that he will get fed up and snap back at her some day.
Does anyone have advice on how I can keep a happy healthy environment for them? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Have you tried creating separate spaces for them with gates, at least when food or chews are involved?
Thank you. Yes. I feed them in separate rooms. My female has no interest in toys or chews (she’s quite the little diva) but she doesn’t want him to have a toy either.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
My female also tends to be bossy. She will protect her toys and food. I’ve taught her to accept my male near her while eating and it helped. I feed them both from my hand when they’re close to each other (decide what distance is safe) and if they behave.

Other than that, if your female is now showing impatience with your male and she wasn’t before, there might be a health issue. When Beckie isn’t feeling well, she will snap at Merlin. Dogs are like us, the get irritated when in pain. Has she seen the vet lately ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts