Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darcy is now 20 weeks (today I believe) and we have had a major setback in housetraining over the last couple of weeks. He was at about an 80% success rate previously, and now seems to be at about a 50% or less. So I am trying to figure out if this is a behavioural thing or if he has a bladder infection or something.

Things to point to behavioural/ normal:
- It has been super hot in Toronto and as a result he has been drinking a lot more.
- The issues only occur during the evening, not in the morning or during the day when at work. In fact I can't remember the last time he had an accident at work.
- He may be confused due to using pee pads some of the time and outside the rest (although this confusion is pretty recent, he seemed to be getting it pretty well previously).

Things to point to some sort of bladder infection:
- He doesn't seem to have much control over his pee. Like it takes him by surprise when he has an accident. Yesterday I had him on my bed for a few minutes (he had just had a pee so I thought it was safe) and he peed suddenly without warning. In the past he has always asked to be let down at the very least.
- The quantities seem very large (but could be due to increased water intake).
- Today he was in a crate for 10 minutes and suddenly peed on the towel he was standing on. He never even asked to be let out. He had peed 45 minutes before that.

In the evening he's basically peeing every half hour to hour. But his drinking quantity is up. He's almost 5 months. Does this seem normal or odd? I will take him to the vet if this continues, but don't want to rush him off if it is just because he is drinking more water and so needs to pee more.

Anyway, I am at my wits end with this. I put him on his pee pad and he just stares at me. Then a few minutes later he pees somewhere random. I can't take him out as often as he is going as I'm in a condo and it takes forever to go down and back up.

I know it's not his fault but I feel like he is just peeing all over the place and I'm drowning in urine! I end up getting frustrated with him and that's not fair. So any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
catch a sample and take t n- needs to be less then an hour old though

Then ta least if it's OK you can take it off the list- and f it's not you can get t fixed up in just a few days

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catch a sample and take t n- needs to be less then an hour old though

Then ta least if it's OK you can take it off the list- and f it's not you can get t fixed up in just a few days
Good point. Maybe I'll get my mom to take one to the vet tomorrow as she's taking Ziggy in anyway.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I agree that you should take it in just to be safe, but I bet it is behavioral. Millie has done things like this. She is 5 1/2 months and peed in on my bed yesterday!!! (But it was after she swam and drank half of the pool lol).

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Always wise to check for physical reasons first, but all my dogs have gone through a phase when they seemed to forget everything they ever knew about housetraining (and it included a couple of wet patches in my bed too!). I return to basics for a while - taking them out early, late and often, on a puppy-schedule, and not relying on them to tell me when they need to go. I don't know whether it is hormones kicking in, teenage brain rewiring, or what, but it does seem to improve after a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yep - always rule our the physical reason first.

Vinnie also went through a weird phase of "Holy crap - I thought you were house trained!"

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas hasn't had any accidents for months, at 7 months now.

I never used any pee pads though, I didn't want to associate ANYWHERE in the house at all with eliminating. Maybe try to wean him away from those if the vet rules him okay?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy did exactly what everyone else said. There was a point in time--don't remember when, but it was probably when he was about that age. I had been so proud of him for being completely wee-wee pad trained at 4 months and then all of the sudden, it's like he forgot everything and would occasionally pee on the rug.

It passed and now it's been so long since he had an accident in the house (or even used the wee wee pad or litter box, for that matter) that I can't even remember when it was. He occasionally uses the litter box to poo, if I haven't taken him out. We still need to work on his notification process. :D

I would rule out the UTI and then assume he's just going through a phase. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Agreed! Take in sample. They will (should) also check how dilute the urine is, so make sure you get a first morning pee. If its really dilute in the first morning sample then they will probably want to look into it further.

Until then, maybe start back to new puppy square one?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments. We took a urine sample in on Saturday and got the results back today and he's fine. So it's obviously just a setback! In response I have tightened things up with regards to training. He is now under strict watch and timed after every pee so I know when he should need to go out again. We had 1 accident per day over the week-end, which is a vast improvement over where we had been. Fingers crossed moving forward that comes down to 0 accidents every day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts