Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i know i can't take my dog out for walks etc until he gets his jabs, which here in the UK are at around 10 weeks and then again couple of weeks later (I think!)

My question is, does this mean I can't start training him to go to do his 'buisness' outside? Will I have to use a litter tray until he's had his jabs? Or is it just he can't be with other dogs??? I am soooo confused lol xxx

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Here in the US you should wait until they complete all there puppy shots before taking them out in public. For housebreaking its ok to take your dog out in YOUR yard. I say to avoid the front yard if any other dogs you DO NOT own have access to it. If you have a backyard that is the safest place for your puppy.

Hope this helped some.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep thats great, here in the UK it is until they have their puppy jabs too, but i just suddenly wondered if that meant he couldn't use the garden! he will be going in the back and he will be the only dog that uses it so thats fine! Thanks Jenn x

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
He can use your garden so long as you haven't had any other puppy there with Parvo. Parvo is a killer. I am sure its just as bad in the UK as it is here. Don't be taking any chances, even with vet treatment a young puppy can die from Parvo.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi there, I am in the uk too. You can take your puppy out in your garden from day one. You can also take him to visit freinds dogs on their or your property as long as their dogs are fully vaccinated, up to date with them and freindly with puppies. My vet told me it was ok to walk my puppy on the pavement after his first jab as long as it was just on the pavement and not to let him sniff lampposts, don't take him to the dog park or let him in water. That is because there is no parvovirus in our area at the moment though, you would have to ask your vet about your area. We waited till the day he had his seccond jab to walk him but carried him everywhere, took him on car journies. Started puppy classes early as all other puppies were vaccinated and took him to visit vaccinated dogs and cats. Take your puppy on trains, busses, let him meet all sorts of animals like cows, sheep, birds, cats etc carry him if your vet says to, I used a backpack put on my front and put him in there. He was much better in new situations once he was allowed on the floor though.

You can start teaching him how to accept the lead and walk on a loose leash in your home and garden too before you go out. My puppy walked to heal from day one once he was allowed outside bacause of prep work beforehand.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Oh, and Panda had his first jab at 8 and a half weeks old. It would have been at 7 and a half but the breeder thought we didn't want them done for some reason so check with your vet when they advise to start them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts