Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting way ahead of myself here considering how far away I am from getting a puppy... But I thought I'd ask for any experiences house training a pup while living in a condo. I have lots of experience training pups from a house where you have easy access to the garden, but this will be my first experience training from a condo.

I'm on the 12th floor, so the ground is pretty far down. :) I was kind of hoping to initially train with a mix of puppy pads and outdoors. While ultimately I would prefer the dog go outside, there might be days where it will be more convenient for him/ her to use the puppy pad. Does anyone think this can work? Or should I only be focusing on outside and just get used to the fact that I'll have to get dressed and go outside every time the pup/ dog has to pee? I definitely don't want to confuse my puppy or make house training a negative experience for either of us, so I'm on the fence about this and will be interested to hear any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add I pup sat my friend's 16 week old Shih Tzu pup for a week-end and we only had one accident indoors (my fault!) She used her puppy pad first thing in the morning, then for the rest of the day we would go downstairs on a schedule (about every hour). Her only accident was in the hallway while we were waiting for the elevator on the first evening, oops! That taught me that I had to carry her down rather than expecting her to understand she had to hold it until we got outside.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's funny, but I'm going thru same problems. I'm also waiting for a puppy, hopefully in December. I think the pads will be a solution at least at night. The puppy will probably need to go at least once, twice and before I get dressed (very cold in Winter :smow:) take her outside the accident can happened and if not the little body will be frozen outside, so she won't go anyway. But how do you train her to understand, sometimes to go inside, sometimes outside :noidea:
Yep, we have an identical situation! It's so fricking freezing in Toronto in winter and it looks like I might have my pup just when there's the most snow! I was honestly thinking of cheating a little by moving back to my parents for a week or two just to get the pup started.

I probably will just suck it up and take him outside... I'm just not sure if the pee pads are going to work for me. I was thinking I might get a pair of sweatpants and a big sweater that are part of my "house training" outfit. Then I can just pull it on, no matter what time it is or how cold it is, along with a big coat and boots and we can go out. Should be an experience. :) Otherwise my doorman can just get used to seeing me go by in my PJs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.