Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious as to the rules that you all enforce for your dogs. I am a firm believer in having a respectful, well behaved, and confident dog. (as well as children!) One of the first rules when Hank came home at 8 wks was to wait in the entryway on the rug to get his feet wiped. We don't live in a museum but we like to have a clean house and this goes a long way! What are some of your rules?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm the same! When the girls come in the house from the deck, they get their feet wiped and dried off. You can't even tell that dogs live in my home, unless you see all the toys scattered around. I like to have a tidy and clean home! I can hardly wait until I train them to use the mop... haha!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Very first thing I taught them was "sit" and "wait," and then I applied that to sitting and waiting at the top or bottom of the stairs, as needed, until I had gone down or up. I don't like small dogs running around my feet on stairs, for fear of tripping on them.

Second application of "sit, wait" is that they must wait just outside the kitchen (usually in the dining room) when I'm fixing their breakfast or dinner. Same reason as above, I don't like small dogs underfoot when I'm making food and moving from fridge to counter to stove.

Taught them "on the knee" so they put their front paws up on my knee so I can put their leashes on them without bending down all the way. (Gads, I'm lazy, eh? ;-) )

"Go to bed" came into play pretty soon.

Other than that, all the standard obedience commands.

In my house, dogs are allowed on the family room furniture, but not on the living room couches. That works out fine - we hardly even use the living room!

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Our main house rules are Settle Down when asked (this includes stop barking), Leave the cats alone, a Sit or Down to say "Please" before treats or a game, and a reasonable degree of politeness when greeting visitors at the door. And no begging when I am eating!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Good idea for a thread! I didn't realise what mine were until I started thinking about it.

Biggest one for me is begging at the table, absolutely verboten. Mine's very good about it. I generally reward with a few scraps when we are done, to reinforce.

He knows he never ever ever goes out the front door without a lead on, which is handy when I want to go out and put trash in the bins. He will sit in front of the open door and never make a move.

Mine's not allowed on the bed, although I've been less successful with this one. He never tries it when we are in the house, but if I go out and leave the bedroom door open, he makes a beeline for the bed.

Hmm, what else?

Anything that's his is mine, we established that pretty early.

Sit for everything, so much so that he plunks his butt down ANY time I have something he thinks he wants. So it doesn't always work for him :smile:.

Those are our main 'house' rules, I guess. Lots of other basic obedience stuff, but those are the ones that let us live together in peace.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have similar "rules" but Sunny is naturally well behaved. He stays close to Mom when outside, sits after coming in just in case we need to wipe feet, sits when it's time to put on a leash, and no begging at the table. He can sit on any of the furniture and sleeps on the bed with us as do the cats. The only thing I can't seem to make him understand is not to steal food on the counter while we are gone!

~Haley

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Wow!! Sunny sounds exactly like our last boy! He was perfect ... other than counter thieving! Nothing worked, and he would steal right in front of our eyes! We're really hoping our new boy (16 weeks old) will not be a thief. Any tips?? He can already reach the counter if he smells something interesting. Poodle noses!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only thing that works for Sunny is to put the items away in the pantry or fridge when we're not here. In a storage box on the counter doesn't even work if it's something really delicious like fresh made bread or BBQ. I've never had him take something while we're home though.

~Haley

·
Registered
173 Posts
On counter-surfing and trash mining: I broke Boon of both of these by the "mousetrap concealed under newspapers" method. A couple of mousetraps placed under a couple of sheets of newspapers with something delectable placed on top and bingo! His poking around set off the mousetraps, making quite a racket. The newspapers both conceal the mousetraps and prevent them from accidentally snapping in the dog's face.

It seriously took just two "events" to break him of both bad behaviors.

Although he did once steal a 2-pound block of imported Parmegiano-Reggiano off the dining room table and ate it all in the few minutes before the guests and I sat down. o-O

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am just curious as to the rules that you all enforce for your dogs. I am a firm believer in having a respectful, well behaved, and confident dog. (as well as children!) One of the first rules when Hank came home at 8 wks was to wait in the entryway on the rug to get his feet wiped. We don't live in a museum but we like to have a clean house and this goes a long way! What are some of your rules?
I have hardwood and laminate floors that I end up mopping twice a week due to the little paw prints all over the floor. I really like this idea of wiping the feet before allowing Charley in.

Just curios - what do you use to wipe the feet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have hardwood and laminate floors that I end up mopping twice a week due to the little paw prints all over the floor. I really like this idea of wiping the feet before allowing Charley in.

Just curios - what do you use to wipe the feet?

Thanks!
I have several old bath towels that work great. When one gets too dirty to use I just switch it out with a clean one. If he is too wet even after I wipe him down then he stays in the entryway until he is told he can leave. It works out great. I also have him trained to lay down on a rug near the kitchen when we are eating to prevent him from begging at the table like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Good ... this looks promising. Our last Spoo went counter surfing at the neighbour's camp and stole the smoked salmon they had taken out for appies :( She was dissapointed but, her doodle must of stolen at least 20 toys and bones from our cabin in a matter of 2 days. They couldn't figure out where she was getting them :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Funny!!

Re wiping off your dog's feet, we have a front entry way used for going on walks, and rear French doors that open into the backyard. In winter, we keep a large basket by the back door full of old towels, including old kitchen towels, for wiping off feet.

Next to the front door is our half-bath with a cabinet style vanity, so I have another basket of old towels in there. Works pretty well to always have a towel handy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts