Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My girls have been having all kinds of issues lately. Recently Belle has begun licking her side along her mid body area. So much so that it’s quite red and really bugs her. I took a close look last night thinking this was a hotspot. But I’m not sure as what I see are tiny black scabs. Not sure how to describe but on close inspection it’s not a bug. The picture is the surrounding area, the tiny scabs are impossible to get a close up of. She used to have these on her tail as did Princess but now they are on her body. Any ideas on what this could be? They’re aren’t many but her hair is getting longer and it’s difficult to tell. Probably time for a groom. Please let me know what you think.
thanks so very much

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I can't enlarge the photo enough to get a clear view. Did she have an injury in that area? Is the fur staining or is it growing in a different color?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't enlarge the photo enough to get a clear view. Did she have an injury in that area? Is the fur staining or is it growing in a different color?
Not the best photo for sure. She’s been licking it so much it tends to bleed a little. Since that photo I’ve shaved three spots down that she has been licking. I’ve been using a warm wash cloth to keep it clean followed by a light use of coconut oil. It’s supposed to relieve the itch. The odd thing are these black scabs that have formed. I’ll post a picture when I get home. I thought maybe some kind of allergic reaction but I’m not sure. Her diet hasn’t changed except I’ve recently begun supplements. I bought a multi vitamin and a turmeric supplement from Pet Honesty online. My other spoo Princess hasn’t had any issues. These scabs I’ve seen on both of them in the past but only on their tail. Had the vet look at it last year and he prescribed a medicated shampoo which I’m using.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like a hot spot to me. Black scabs are just that--scabs, and it's a good thing that they're appearing! One of the vets at the hospital I go to calls them 'nature's bandage', and it means that the body's healing. If these are hot spots, and you can get her to leave it alone, it'll probably heal up in a week or two. A cone might help, as can hot spot medication. However:

I do worry a little bit about fleas, since these scabs are appearing near the base of the tail for both of them, and one of the dogs is starting to get itchy with hotspots. Have you tried running a flea comb through the hair, then wiping on a paper towel, then wetting what comes off to see what you get (if it turns red, there's definitely fleas)? Do you use any kind of flea medication?

How to Treat and Prevent Hot Spots on Dogs – American Kennel Club
How to Spot the Signs of Fleas on Your Pets

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,
Trimming the hair down has at least helped me keep it clean. I just gave them both Bravecto about 2 weeks ago. I check them regularly and don’t see any fleas at all. She seems a little better since I shaved her, looks terrible though. After reading through the AKC description these don’t appear to be hot spots. They aren’t moist/wet at all. I’ve been working more lately and unfortunately can’t be with them all the time. I really need to groom them soon, especially Belle, so I can see if there is more of these “spots”. I’ve posted a somewhat better picture. If anyone recognizes it please offer your opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Liz,
She hasn’t had an injury Anytime she’s had an injury in the past, no matter what it is the hair always grows back rather reddish. The hair has to grow out completely and be trimmed to get back to normal. That’s consistent with both over the years. Not sure why that is. I have a few days off soon so I’ll groom her and take a more thorough look. I may schedule a visit to the vet depending. Thanks so much for your interest.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm going to defer to Floof on this subject. I have a vague recollection of seeing tiny scabs like you're describing on one of my dogs, but I can't remember who or when or why. I would hold off a few days on the vet appointment and perhaps discontinue the coconut oil, only because Mia loves licking off of her coat any sort of creams or oils.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My little Belle likes to lick it off as well. I think I will wait on the vet
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
She could be licking to reach or relieve nerve, organ, or muscle pain that is unrelated to her skin. The repetitive action/moisture could be the cause the sores rather than the other way around.

And I agree that while coconut oil may be effective at promoting healing, it would also encourage a lot of dogs to keep on licking because it's tasty, thereby exacerbating the issue.

I know you've struggled to find good veterinary care near you. Have you made the trip yet to a new clinic?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I must be a wuus, I always take my spoo in when I don't know what something is. It sounds like she is uncomfortable, so hope she is better soon.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I could say I’ve made progress on a new vet but I’m afraid I haven’t. With the pandemic ramping up I’ve decided that I’ll at least be consistent in seeing just one vet in town. He is the one who recently did minor surgery on princess’s eyelid. She goes back today to have stitches removed. I probably worry too much but I’m hesitant to expose myself to new environments. ☹

1 - 11 of 11 Posts