Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we are pretty careful about the food Bobby eats and the treats we give...however, he has one weakness that I give into. Hotdogs!!! 😂
I know...hotdogs are totally junk food but we do get the “better quality” ones. 😉 And he only gets them when we are doing high distraction training. Last week was just too much for him in training class so I decided it was time to bring his beloved hotdogs this week and the hotdog did not fail us. Back when I was training him to heel I just put a whole hotdog in my hand and he would nibble and walk, nibble and walk. It was was hotdog magic! Any poodles out there who love hotdogs? Or maybe your poodle has another food vice you want
to share.😁

·
Super Moderator
6,308 Posts
I never in a million years thought I'd feed my dog hot dogs. But I totally get it. We ended up using turkey dogs for some of her important early socialization experiences, like puppy classes. I'd cut them up into little corn-sized bites.

Since then, we've learned her highest value treat is actually mozzarella string cheese. It's actually such high value, I can't use it in low-distraction environments or it BECOMES the distraction. Lol. Like you, we'll sometimes let her nibble the whole thing (for example, if a dog or cyclist is passing by), but it also easily breaks into small pieces.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Annie, blasphemously enough in dog circles, honestly isnt a huge hot dog fan. If I buy the all natural ones she will consent to eat them, but the cheap ones? She spits them out!!!!

We dont have an ultra crazy magical high value treat here. String cheese is tasty, not crazy making. She really likes ham, and raw cubes beef is probably highest value though for obvious reasons I don't train with that much! Deli ham is also good.

I once put 4 kinds of higher value treats down around her. I wanted to see what she would go for first when released. So I carefully, with her at a downstay brought a treat to her nose and put it down, then the next, etc, forming a semicircles around her paws. When j released her, she ate them right to left. I mixed up the order - and she ate them right to left again!!!! Very efficient, but didnt help me figure out what she preferred.

Probably highest value for her is a chewy, a beef hide chip or cows ear, but they dont make good training treats.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
I kept a special bag of hot dog pieces in my pocket for Galen during his recent training class. He got regular treats or even just dog food for easy stuff like sitting and targeting. Ignoring his classmates got him the hot dog reward.

Snarky and Pogo loved string cheese, but they didn't go mindless over it. Their kryptonite was bacon. Instant insane dog!

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Hot dog joy here. Though not his most highly prized - that would be peppermints, next on roast chicken, liverwurst and any vegetable (he eats them all, though lettuce is a favorite)

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Chicken! They actually get quite a lot of it in their food, but it is still the Very Best Thing Ever. When Sophy was taking her CGC test she knew there was a bag of chunks waiting, and stuck to me like glue while I chanted "Good dogs get chicken!" under my breath. It has been a godsend through Poppy's illness - a chunk of squished chicken hides even the most unpleasant tablet, and it is easy to manage the extra protein she needs (enough but not too much) using fat free chicken breast.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
120 Posts
My spoo loves cheese - her favourite is extra aged cheddar or Gouda which she loves. I get it from a local market and have them slice it super thin, then I roll it and cut it into bite sized pieces.

She likes hard boiled eggs sliced into small cube, most fruit and veggies, plain unsalted peanuts, peppermint candies, air popped popcorn but her highest valued treat currently? Lettuce, specifically the crunchy end bits. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I get some strange looks pulling that out of my treat pouch 😂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts