Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beyond anxious about what may have happened to Sammy. I had to take him to a new groomer and told them I was expecting him to not do well ( he needs to build trust) and if he has any problems, to please stop and I will pick him up.

I dropped Sammy off at 11:30 and they called to say he was done at 1:30, that he was the model patient, so well behaved etc.

I know my dog is not at all the easiest to groom, so red flags. I pick him up and he looks pitiful. Sheared to the skin, lots of red/pink skin showing and immediately I noticed that his anus is dark brown ( thought it was poop stains, but immed. from groomer?). He is a white poodle.

Get home and his behavior is so different. Snarling/snapping at other dog, licking paws, groin area obessively, rubbing face/eyes, for the very limited time he is awake. He has never done any of this before. And he is sleeping so much!

Normally, I cannot shift position, move or think about moving from anywhere, without him waking up and following. Since the grooming, he has fallen asleep and not even noticed that I got up, left the room, did other stuff. Any other dog, I would not be so alarmed. BUT this is not the way Sammy acts.

He has lesions on his muzzle, his penis ( shaft?) is inflamed and red and looks like it has about a 3mm cut on it, His anus was black at pick up and the pink skin there is slowly returning.

I just know by his behavior that something isn't right. After much thought, I called the place and they want me to take him back tomorrow morning. It is a certified veteranirian hospital and they will let me go in with him. We will go.

Poor little guy has been curled into me like a lima bean, but it feels like "dead weight". I'm worried taking him back there will be traumatic.

Thoughts? I know I am not being overly reactive.

Sorry if I 'm not too coherent, Sleep deprevation. Do you think I can trust their assessment? My vet cannot see Sammy for at least a week, but said they will call tomorrow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have pictures. It looks much worse if he licks, but there are areas where there is almost no fur/hair at all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just kills me that I brought him there and let this happen. On apositive note, I will start a new thread!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Oh my, it sounds awful what they’ve done to him. I would be beyond mad, I would not have been nice with them. Take pictures and make a video, in case they deny that Sammy has anything wrong with him. I wonder what the goal of taking him back is ? If it’s to have him examined and treated by a vet it’s a good idea.

Keep us posted. Poor Sammy. :-(

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Dechi, I was never going to take him back there. But, my Mom said to stand up for me and Sammy, so the owner of the place is going to see us at 8:30 am. I really do think they are trying to do image control. I'm worried it will be traumatic for Sammy to ride in the car and see we are going back to that' bad place'. On a better note, we did some training/play a bit ago, and it seems like I'm getting my dog back! Although still curled up and I think protecting himself, it's not as bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FloopyPoodle, I know he has clipper burn, but I did not think this would happen in an animal hospital! Not that $ counts, but I thought he was safer in that environment. The very well respected hospital seems to be more worried about my response than the wellbeing of my dog. Anyway, tomorrow will tell. And, I didn't listen to anyone. My Mom, BFF, sister, all telling me what to put on Sammy's skin to help. I am not putting anything on him ( shoot, I'm not even brushing whats left ) until a vet I trust tells me it is safe. Thank you for caring!

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Hope that you will get some help from the owner as this seems like a terrible groom. To soothe the skin, you might try Aloe Vera gel which I always use on my burns - have used it too on Asta when my clippers went to close to the skin.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I think a cool damp washrag gently patted on his skin might help soothe him.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some of what you are describing sounds like a chemical burn. This happened to my pupper, I believe it was the disinfectant used to sanitize their crates, etc. His lesions were on his anus and penis as well. Heartbreaking.

Perhaps he was groomed by a new technician? And it sounds like they used a clipper blade appropriate for pre-surgical prep (#40?). I can't imagine a reason to shave a poodle down like that. Esp when it's widely known that lighter poodles clipper burn more easily.

I'm not sure I see the value of bringing your pup back. Sounds even more traumatizing. I agree with documenting the situation carefully. I would hear what they have to say for themselves, but leave poor Sammy at home. Can you take him to another vet for an evaluation? Even an emergency clinic? He may need topical antibiotics or an anti-itch medication to give him some relief while he heals. I think an impartial opinion in crucial.

Chanel your inner mama bear and don't back down when they talk about how everything is fine, etc. If they are so concerned about their reputation, it sounds like posting/tweeting photos of Sammy's awful experience on social media (make sure to tag them) and on review sites like Google & Yelp will make them take notice. And perhaps others have had a similar misfortune? This makes me so mad for you.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
OMG, I feel so bad for you and Sammy. Is he going to be seen by a vet when you return? A vet who can tell you what is appropriate to soothe his skin and help it to heal.
I hope the person who did this is let go, that is completely unacceptable. I would also think the person who was the supervisor also needs to go or face consequences if they didn’t supervise a new groomer.

·
Premium Member
23,582 Posts
What is supposed to happen at that vet? Is he having a vet check, is there something grooming related (don't allow it)? Is there a trainer there who has knowledge on how to help a dog who has been traumatized? I would be very wary about walking him even up to the front door if there isn't a clear plan on how to help your dog recover psychologically from what happened mentally and physically.

I think you can advocate for yourself and your dog without taking him back. Pictures sent to the hospital owner along with a conversation, or even better email that will give you a written record of the response should at least get your money back. A mention of the possibility of a poor Yelp review could push that along too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am sorry that Sammy had such a horrible experience. It sounds like clipper burn to me. The face, feet, tummy,, and under tail area are the most likely to get clipper burned, because they are clipped with a shorter blade. I would ask what blade they used and make sure a longer blade is used in the future. Some poodles have sensitive skin and cannot handle the shorter blades. It is also possible the groomer didn't make sure her/his blades were cool enough. It is possible the groomer nicked him, but it is also possible the chewing and scratching caused the cut. I would definitely ask the vet for something to soothe the skin. Aloe may help until you can get something from the vet.

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
40 Posts
I actually think taking him back to the scene of the crime might be a good idea, if only to help him get over it. Don't let them groom him anymore or take him away from you, but do have him do lots of sits and tricks and give him treats and pets so that he can see, oh, okay, it was this one person who did this but not this whole building. That way if you ever end up needing to go back to that hopsital for medical care, it won't ONLY be remembered as "that place I went where they hurt me and scared me."

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
UGH. I hate the "get 're done" attitude some animal service providers have. Clearly someone was rushing and just concentrating on getting the groom done without paying attention to the dog or your instructions. It's not like you were trying to hide that your dog was a problem.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just because a grooming business is linked to a vet does not mean it's a good grooming place, unfortunately. We used to board our dogs at a place that was owned by a veterinary practice and we did not like the care our dogs received there. It's a way for vet practices to bring in more money.

I really hope the person who groomed him is let go, because this is unacceptable.

It sounds like you will have to find a place that grooms anxious dogs. Do some research, because they exist. I was able to find one even in my area. Took a lot of looking around to find them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi everyone,

Sammy slept more "typically" last night, waking when I had to use the bathroom,ect. He seemed much more physically comfortable early this morning and showed no aggressive growling at his overbearing fur - nephew (daughter's puppy) He was also acting almost like himself and although still a bit subdued, seemed happy and wanted to play. Because of this improvement, I decided to cancel the doctor/owner appointment this morning. I don't think there would have been any benefit for him or myself.

I originally agreed to the offered appointment this A.M. just to have him seen by a vet immediately. After talking to them on the phone ( again) this morning, I think canceling was the right decision. I was assured prior to the grooming that Sammy would be groomed by ( groomer's name ) and that she had 10 years experience and was an expert. During our later phone conversation, they seemed confused or unsure of who the actual groomer was. When I called to cancel, but asked if I could speak with the vet on the phone, they said I could, but there would be a telehealth fee.

There was NEVER any chance that I would agree to a "redo". Even if someone else were to re-do him ( which I would never do due to his physical and mental state), I think his coat on his body is about 1/18th of an inch now! It was about 5" on his body prior. Isn't that too much to shave at once?

As far as needing emergency services, I would not bring any of my pets there now.

Ttownjayne, I hadn't thought of chemical burn, but that seems to fit. I am pretty sure he also had/has clipper burn and he absolutely has 3 nicks on his muzzle, that are scabbed over now. Would chemical burn affect his eyes too?

I wish I could learn to groom him myself! My trainer gave me a recommendation for a groomer and we have a plan :).

This is by far not the worse one, but representative of overall red/pink areas and the only one my son posted ( I have no idea how to post pics ).

I was able to work from home today and we had a great day together! Tonight, Sammy seems 100%! most redness is gone too. Thanks all. It helps to have you guys to "talk" to.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Try some of the ways mentioned to sooth his skin and the ones to heal his trust. Grooming is a fact of life with poodles. I used the same groomers for years and years, they started with my last Scottie, Charlie and groomed Buck from his first groom until one of the partners passed away. I got confirmation here, that his groom was taking WAY, too long. The results were always good, they were convenient. One was a show groomer and his partner had a beautician’s license. It was like ‘mommy’s 1/2 day out’, sometimes a whole day, no matter how lavishly I tipped. Buck would drool and shake on the ride to the groomers and leap into my car when I picked him up. Figured that was a normal preference. After one of the partner’s died, the other went to work for a grooming concession attached to boutique pet supply store. Followed him there.

About a year ago, when I attempted to make an appointment with his from puppyhood groomer, I was told he no longer worked there. Had the groomer’s cell and he told me it was for alleged dog abuse, witnessed by another employee, totally unfounded, according to him. With no plan B., I entrusted Buck to a new groomer at that salon. Buck is out of there ASAP, looks great, still not happy to go there, but not drooling and shaking. So trust your dog and the quality of his groom.

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
239 Posts
Poor Sammy!
That is most likely a razor burn. Talk to your vet. He will probably heal completly in about 2-4 weeks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts