Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Paula. I am hoping to convince my dh that a Standard would be a lovely addition to our family. I have 2 of the 3 kids on board (the 3rd wants a Boston terrier), the only hold out is my hubby :pray2:.

I am enjoying reading the threads here and living vicariously through them.

My "dream" standard is a young (not necessarily a puppy)male, chocolate, red or black standard. But if I had the green light to get one, it really would not matter.

smiles
Paula

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Oooooooooo!! Good luck - may ALL your wishes come true!! :)

We just welcomed our very own spoo puppy into our home at the end of October this year. Lucy is a gorgeous red standard who we acquired from Arreau Standard Poodles in Ontario, Canada (She posts on this forum, too - you'll probably see her out here.)

Our daughter, Katy, has a brown standard female who introduced us to the joys of poodle-ness! :) Once we met Katy's baby, a standard poodle was the ONLY way to go for us!

Keep us updated about your quest! And if (when) you get your new family member, just remember that the forum members LOVE pictures!!

Welcome!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome!!

Wow - I am not married, but my boyfriend was die hard for a dobie and because poodles fit better or so I thought I convinced him to get a poodle. So he got Olie, and he is completely in love. So was I......and we ended up getting Suri - our Silver adult He is a big dog person, has had several breeds and mixed over the years and he says they have his heart:) And are the most fascinating dogs, and he's proud to have them :)

I SO HOPE you get the Green light!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Good luck to you ! I hope that you can convince him . My husband was the spoo person and I am the convert :) I love them very much now ! I will never go back ...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
my hubby had no choice, cos I wanted a spoo long before I ever met him, and it was simply a fact of life; if ya got me, there WOULD be a spoo at some stage too! But in saying that, he doesn't think it's such a silly idea to have a massive poodle around like he used to think! lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hubby is not opposed to a Spoo ( I love that) as much as to a dog in general. I was with him on this front for many years. We had a dog about 17 years ago, before the kids came along, it was not the best experience. I know now that it was not the dog's fault, but ours since we did not know what we were doing and she was aquired on an impulse. Shortly after we got her, I became pregnant so all of the care ended up on hubby's shoulders. I know he thinks that the care will end up all on his shoulders again and he has absolutely no desire to pooper scoop again. I am still trying to convince him that I will do the poop clean up (what is that compared to 3 kids worth of diapers) and that our experience will be better, since I want to go to obedience/manners training, I have done plenty of research on what dog would be the best fit for us, and there are no babies here in the house for me to take care of (they are all in school).

My hope is that he changes his mind and we can get one in Feb, if not I will wait until the end of the summer (I work for 11 weeks in the summer) so that I have the time to dedicate to the dog once it arrives.

P

·
Registered
68 Posts
No - no poodles for you !!

Hi,
My name is Paula. I am hoping to convince my dh that a Standard would be a lovely addition to our family. I have 2 of the 3 kids on board (the 3rd wants a Boston terrier), the only hold out is my hubby :pray2:.

I am enjoying reading the threads here and living vicariously through them.

My "dream" standard is a young (not necessarily a puppy)male, chocolate, red or black standard. But if I had the green light to get one, it really would not matter.

smiles
Paula
Paula,
Welcome to the list! What specific objections does he have? Sissy Dog? Maintenance? Just don't like them? I'm curious . . . I grew up with a Standard Poodle named Louis ( my current 13mo show male is also named Louis - not much imagination I guess! ). I had to convince my wife to get one, she had a bad experience dog sitting for two that ran the house . . . you know counter surfing, writing checks for bills, telling their daughter who to date . . . you get the picture. Now she loves them - and can't imagine life without them.

For the he-man aspect of poodles:
1) Have finished the Iditarod in Alaska, and have placed at least once. Here's some more information. This is a tough, grueling race that tries man, machine and beast! No wimpy dogs here!

2) Here are some Schutzund dogs . . . at least one is a mini!

3) If you read Daniel Tortoras Phd., Book "The Right Dog For You" you will note that Standard Poodles rate in the same box for Guarding and Watch as Mastiffs, Kuvacs(sp?), and other natural guard breeds. This google entry will show some parts of what he writes, but order this book and look up Standards on the Guard/Watch/Good with kids/behavorial constancy parts . . . very impressive. No other sporting dog that I'm aware has the guarding instinct of Standard Poodles. Take it from me, Spoo adults don't broker any bs from strangers that they consider a threat. The Louis I grew up when I was a kid in NJ (we had woods and a lake, he was the perfect Personal Water Craft!) would not let a strange adult approach us while we were playing . . . His opinion was plainly spoken.

4) Of course, Std Poodles made it to the quarter finals for the US Armys official dog during WWII. Poodles are great defensive guards, but are not cut out for lonely guard duty w/little or no human contact or man-work - but there are obvious exceptions as above.

Many times guys get caught up with the coat, and hair-do's and etc . . . They are not anything like Walt Disney poodles at all! Oh yeah . . . Boston Terrier is a great dog - but it's no poodle! (sorry BT lovers, its just one guys opinion!)

Oh yeah, the coat maintenance sux - if you aren't showing - keep it cut short!

Have fun and welcome again!

Mark, Jamie and The Poodle Gangsters!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My son does not like the way standard poodles look, but he thinks the smaller ones are fine. I think he is just being difficult because he wants a Boston. Good friends of ours have two Bostons and they are the sweetest dogs I have ever met. They are actually the dogs that changed my mind to wanting a dog. I love them, but they just do not fit what I want the way a Standard poodle does. I want a larger dog, no reason other than that is what I want, and my husband like larger dogs in general. He had a german shepard when he was growing up, a "real dog"..... lol

When the kids used to ask for a puppy I told them that they could have a dog as long as it fit my three criteria: It did not shed, it did not smell like a dog, and could be trained to poop in the toilet....... needless to say I no longer expect those things.

Hubby really thinks that the poop cleaning will be left to him and since he is the lawn mower in the family, if it is not done he will the be the one dealing with it. I have told him that I will do the pooper scooping, but he is not convinced. He does not want dog hair all over the place, I am not sure how bad poodles are for shedding, I have heard all about the coat being less allergetic, but I really do not know about the shedding, perhaps you can fill me in on that. I also think he feels that the added responsibilty of a dog will limit us on travelling etc.

The coat maintenance is not something I am dreading, I personally prefer the shorter cut. I have seen it discribed on some sites as a "puppy cut".

P

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My son does not like the way standard poodles look, but he thinks the smaller ones are fine. I think he is just being difficult because he wants a Boston. Good friends of ours have two Bostons and they are the sweetest dogs I have ever met. They are actually the dogs that changed my mind to wanting a dog. I love them, but they just do not fit what I want the way a Standard poodle does. I want a larger dog, no reason other than that is what I want, and my husband like larger dogs in general. He had a german shepard when he was growing up, a "real dog"..... lol

When the kids used to ask for a puppy I told them that they could have a dog as long as it fit my three criteria: It did not shed, it did not smell like a dog, and could be trained to poop in the toilet....... needless to say I no longer expect those things.

Hubby really thinks that the poop cleaning will be left to him and since he is the lawn mower in the family, if it is not done he will the be the one dealing with it. I have told him that I will do the pooper scooping, but he is not convinced. He does not want dog hair all over the place, I am not sure how bad poodles are for shedding, I have heard all about the coat being less allergetic, but I really do not know about the shedding, perhaps you can fill me in on that. I also think he feels that the added responsibilty of a dog will limit us on travelling etc.

The coat maintenance is not something I am dreading, I personally prefer the shorter cut. I have seen it discribed on some sites as a "puppy cut".

P
Yep puppy cut is good, also theres is literly no hair for me.......and I have 2. Their poops are big in comparrison to my 2 Poms:) Other than grooming. They are fairly low maintenance and most are pretty laid back with spurts of energy, but they will hang as long as your willing. They are very human like too, that for me is what reeled me and the BF in. LOVE THEM:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good luck! I was in your place a year ago with the hubby. And in June he came around and everything fell into place within a couple of weeks and we got Bella.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I was the spoo hold out and my husband wanted one too. I'm so glad he won the conversation.

Our first spoo was an apricot boy named Rusty. He was a wonderful dog that assumed all children were his to love and protect. He was also sure that if my husband and I were play fighting it was all my husband's fault. (We loved that dog) After our much loved Rusty died we adopted a 4 year old apricot male spoo named Sport. He is a wonderful gentleman of a dog and the most laid back couch potato of a poodle I've ever met. We love the breed and about a year ago we got 2 beautiful red spoo puppies from Arreau Standard Poodles. They are wonderful and balance out our family. 3 kids and 3 dogs it really works for us. The kids help out with the dogs which is good for them they learn responsibility. They use the dogs as pillows blankets and mattresses. They are also the ones that are usually on poop cleanup duty.

As far as shedding goes I have a tuft or two of hair to cleanup every once in a blue moon.

Good luck with your dog hunt. I hope that you keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
As to the spoo poo let him know good quality food has way less coming out te end then the "eukanuba" we all grew up with

Or raw where the poo magically turns to dust in a few days :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually had him talking the other day about dogs, he still is saying no, but at least we are talking about them. Of course his first question was , "why a standard poodle?" ARGGGHHHHHH!!! To make matters worse, we at the inlaws the other day (I love htem, they are great) and my MIL said, "Claude and Bernie (bil's friends) were over to visit and they brought their dog, it is one of those big poodles, it was a really well behaved dog, but it is so ugly"..... then they decided to talk about how ugly this dog was. I just do not get it, I understand how people may not like the show cuts for poodles, and how a dfog may not appeal to them, but "ugly" I do not hitnk I have ever seen a truely ugly dog. And Spoos are so adorable. I think I would have talked about how well behaved it was rather than what it looked like. I will step down off of my soap box now

I did sell hubby on the no shedding aspect of a spoo though :)

P

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My inlaws think Harry is the ugliest dog ever but think English bulldogs are gorgeous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if I could say how attractive I think THEY are, I'd probably never speak to them again.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts