Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm Agnes and hopefully I will be able to bring home the baby from the shelter Thursday night!
I am adopting (so close to adopting) a silver toy poodle, 3 years old. I'm really crossing my fingers because I just really want to bring him home to my family!
The shelter that his fur was terribly matted so they had to shave it all off. He was not groomed properly but has a good body weight. Also, he is very very shy, not aggressively, but flinches, sits, and shrinks but he is SOO sweet!

I've visited him twice at the shelter ..after today he warmed up to me a little
before he sat at the back of the kennel but after spending time with him he actually came to the front the cage after putting him back! even though he isn't jumping around and wagging his tail, but soon, i hope, he will be!

i joined because i know that when i adopt him, it's going to be a lot of work and i am going to need answers :)

please cross your fingers for me and hopefully by friday i can have pictures up of him :)

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Good for you and good for him! I am crazy for silver poodles (being "owned" by one myself!) and wish you all good things with you new little boy when he arrives home. Let's plan for your "adoption" to go through easily and for this week end to be the start of a years and years of happy times for you both!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone! one day left till i find out .. eek
he has truly grown on me ... i am just looking forward to everything
I am a university student commuting from home therefore although i'll be his primary caretaker, my parents and little brother (15) are also going share their love
... my mother wanted to adopt a 300 pup from a recue group but i really think this boy needs us more!

will be back with more tomorrow :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
help me please! he got a health check today at the shelter and they said he was positive for heartworms ... but they said this is easily treatable and for 65 he'll be good to go
should i trust them? i don't want the shelter going back ont heir words.

i need to decide by tomorrow so please reply asap

much thanks
ps. other than that i really want ot take him

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
help me please! he got a health check today at the shelter and they said he was positive for heartworms ... but they said this is easily treatable and for 65 he'll be good to go
should i trust them? i don't want the shelter going back ont heir words.

i need to decide by tomorrow so please reply asap

much thanks
ps. other than that i really want ot take him
Are you sure they said heartworm and not another kind of worm?

A postitive heartworm diagnosis can be serious. It really depends on the severity of the infestation. Dogs can and do die from heartworm treatment, if the disease has progressed very far. Also, unless things have changed over the years, I believe dogs on heartwork treatment need to be confined and have their exercise limited to prevent problems during treatment.

I'm surprised they said treatment would be easy if it's heartworm. Google heartworm in dogs and read up on it a little bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your help!
Yes, the shelter said it was heartworms. :(
My two cousins, who absolutely love dogs, said they would pitch in for the treatment, but the shelter told me that it is not fully gauranteed that he would be healed. This was a bit frustrating because as I talked to various people at the shelter, they all told me different information. One person went as far as to gaurantee that he would be fully cured while another told me that they did not have such technology to figure out this info. Also, after googling , I started feeling uneasy. I wanted to take him but personally, I do not think I would have been fully competent. On the good note, the shelter wanted me to tell them my decision my 12 pm tomorrow because someone was waiting in line to adopt him and I believe that he will soon be in a loving and caring home :)

After hearing this news, my mom and I thought very hard. I feel horrible being hesitent about adopting him due to his heartworms and I really don't know what this makes me seem like, but one thing I am happy about is that someone will be adopting him~

well .. my family will still continue our search for a new family member ... will keep everyone updated~

thanks for all your replies :)

edit:
I also feel like this shelter is a bit sketch. Has anybody been to the fulton county animal shelter? I live in east cobb so I tend to visit the cobb county shelter and there is a very big crevasse between the two. Should I file a complaint? I felt very uncomfortable at the shelter due to the employee's unprofessional manners and there was a lack of hospitality. Also, usually I can tell that people at the shelter love animals, but one thing I can say is that there was NO love for these dogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
So sorry things didn't work out like you hoped. You asked how turning this dog down may make you "seem" and IMO, it makes you seem knowledgable about your own abilities. Too often, people let their hearts guide their decisions regarding animals and it turns out badly... You used your head and now you'll be able to move on and find the appropriate companion for your family - there is nothing wrong with that at all!

Also, I don't know anything about the shelters of which you speak - I live in North Dakota; but speaking from experience as a former shelter worker, it is tooooo common for these folks to experience burn-out and it can turn them hard and seemingly unfeeling. They're NOT unfeeling, but that's a coping mechanism to help them get through the day without melting into a pile of sobbing goop!! If it goes on too long, they can get truly jaded and then it's time to find another career!

Good luck in your adoption search. The pet meant for you is out there someplace - you just haven't met him/her yet!! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry your adoption was not successful. I am glad there is someone else ready to adopt him though. Heartworms can be very tricky. Most dogs respond to treatment very well. The problem is it is hard to know how bad they are and how old the worms are. Their activity does have to be limited for a while after treatment. Don't feel bad because you did not adopt him. You need to feel comfortable and sure that the dog you chose is the right one. Good Luck with your search. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi everyone, it's been a couple of days and i've really been looking around.
last sunday, i was on the wait list to adopt a cockapoo from the shelter but the couple in front of me got him :( he was ten months old and had the biggest amount of puppy love ever... he would cuddle his head on our laps and would come to us when called .. i really thought he was the puppy for us but i guess not
today i made another trip to the shelter and found a little girl toy poodle, 3 years, apricot in color. she was a sweety but it was hard to bond with her, i think she just really wanted to get out of the shelter. I am currently 4th on the waiting list :( so far back!! but it's a sort of first come first serve basis...
i'm a bit hesitant with her because she doesn't really answer to me... i think she was just a bit distracted though. also, she doesn't show the "sweet" nature that i saw in the cockapoo ....

thanks everyone for your replies!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
hi everyone, it's been a couple of days and i've really been looking around.
last sunday, i was on the wait list to adopt a cockapoo from the shelter but the couple in front of me got him :( he was ten months old and had the biggest amount of puppy love ever... he would cuddle his head on our laps and would come to us when called .. i really thought he was the puppy for us but i guess not
today i made another trip to the shelter and found a little girl toy poodle, 3 years, apricot in color. she was a sweety but it was hard to bond with her, i think she just really wanted to get out of the shelter. I am currently 4th on the waiting list :( so far back!! but it's a sort of first come first serve basis...
i'm a bit hesitant with her because she doesn't really answer to me... i think she was just a bit distracted though. also, she doesn't show the "sweet" nature that i saw in the cockapoo ....

thanks everyone for your replies!
i used to volunteer with a rescue and I noticed that some of the dogs were just not themselves in the shelter setting. Were you able to take this little girl out for a walk away from all the noise and commotion of the shelter? You might give it a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bet you will be surprised by how quickly she warms up once out of the shelter setting. I think it can be so overwhelming for them. I have never personally adopted from a shelter, but am looking at the Carolina Poodle Rescue website right now. There are some beautiful, sweet faces on there. I would love to adopt in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts