Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for reputable standard breeder on Long Island or NY vicinity.

Color is not important, just searching for a healthy, tested, family pet.

Any ideas?

Anyone hear of Geer Kennels, Va. ? Saw a beautiful boy on an ad, but havent contacted breeder as of yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
try...

Have you tried North Shore. The family I used to nanny for got a nice cat there, they might at you're lookig for Good luck

Holly nd Teddy

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I believe City Lights is in New York. Moxie parti poodles is in New York and has a litter of pups right now with a couple of babies available. Moxie's parents are both tested and healthy, and the pups are adorbale and lovely.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
We really need an FAQ page so that new members can find this information. You can use the following information to evaluate breeders as you begin your search.

Breeding Poodles should have the following tests:

Hips (OFA Excellent, Good or Fair or Pennhip below .50 on each hip)
Eyes (CERF test every year)
SA (punches done usually ever two years)
Thyroid (every year)
VWD (one time genetic test)
NE (does not affect you but a due diligence test by breeder)

I like to see that breeding dogs are older. It is not best practice to breed Standard Poodles at a young age <2-3 years because a breeder does not have time to look at the overall health and temperament in a line. There are many health issues that we can not test for in Standards so taking a "wait and see" approach is prudent.

Go out and research Addisons, Epilepsy, Bloat, SA and JRD in Standard Poodles. Educate yourself and then ask your breeder about these issues. If your breeder can't speak about these issues knowledgeably, then take your business elsewhere.

I like to see that a breeder is doing something with their dogs to prove that they are worthy of being put back into the gene pool. This can mean showing a dog in Conformation to evaluate structure and movement or showing a dog in Performance (Obedience, Agility, Hunt, Tracking) to show athleticism and the ability to take direction well.

The apple never falls far from the tree. If you show up to a breeders home and the breeding dogs are dirty, shy, nervous or aggressive, take your business elsewhere.

As far as the Geer breeder goes, does she do any of the above?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Blu Majic poodles in Staten Island, Home, is expecting a litter soon. I would highly recommend this breeder. She is honest and knowledgeable, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a puppy from her.
Good luck with your search!
Vivienne

·
Registered
276 Posts
We really need an FAQ page so that new members can find this information. You can use the following information to evaluate breeders as you begin your search.

Breeding Poodles should have the following tests:

Hips (OFA Excellent, Good or Fair or Pennhip below .50 on each hip)
Eyes (CERF test every year)
SA (punches done usually ever two years)
Thyroid (every year)
VWD (one time genetic test)
NE (does not affect you but a due diligence test by breeder)

I like to see that breeding dogs are older. It is not best practice to breed Standard Poodles at a young age <2-3 years because a breeder does not have time to look at the overall health and temperament in a line. There are many health issues that we can not test for in Standards so taking a "wait and see" approach is prudent.

Go out and research Addisons, Epilepsy, Bloat, SA and JRD in Standard Poodles. Educate yourself and then ask your breeder about these issues. If your breeder can't speak about these issues knowledgeably, then take your business elsewhere.

I like to see that a breeder is doing something with their dogs to prove that they are worthy of being put back into the gene pool. This can mean showing a dog in Conformation to evaluate structure and movement or showing a dog in Performance (Obedience, Agility, Hunt, Tracking) to show athleticism and the ability to take direction well.

The apple never falls far from the tree. If you show up to a breeders home and the breeding dogs are dirty, shy, nervous or aggressive, take your business elsewhere.

As far as the Geer breeder goes, does she do any of the above?
This is very well said, Cbrand. Is there a FAQ page on this forum? It's a great idea. Your advice would be very valuable as an answer to a "What do I look for in a breeder?" question.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts