Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am excited to find this forum. I am very interested in the poodle breed and am hoping to decide if this is the right type of dog for my family. We are currently a family of two hl Chinese Crested girls. I am a stay at home mom with two boys. Hubby is a school teacher. I LOVE dogs! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and learning from you.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi:

I recently met my first Chinese Crested. It was such a sweet, affectionate dog! We recently got a standard poodle puppy and LOVE him!!! We've had collies most recently and as a kid I had a westie and a schnauzer. The standard poodle is by far my favorite, although I still love collies. Max has been so much fun, easy to train, adorable, sweet, energetic but calm.... etc... I could go on and on...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome! What can we tell you about poodles that will help you decide? In my experience, poodles are very trainable and are particularly quick to pick up on language and other non-verbal cues -- whether you intend for them to or not! They are extremely loving dogs who want to be around members of the family. They are playful, even as adults. They can be energetic when it is playtime/walktime, etc., and then calm at other times. In my opinion, they do best when they are given regular exercise (but then, so do most dogs). Of course, there are variations within poodles -- some are more "licky," some are more "barky," some love strangers and some do not -- but some of that can be modified with training.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My friend has a Chines Crested. He loves to come and play with the poodles especially Teddy - he will get on the chair so that they can be face to face - its a riot. He flies around the room - very cute!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome. As far as poodles go - I've been trying to do my homework on which size is right for our family. I want something that will love my kids and play with them. I want one that can be trained (and hopefully sooner rather than later) to potty outside. I want one that doesn't bark at every leaf that blows by (I certainly don't mind the - I think I heard something bark.) We definitely want one that wants to be loved on and have some lap time. And if he/she will go for car rides - that would be great too.
My husband likes smaller dogs and I like bigger ones. So, I've been reading all the pros and cons for toy, mini, and standard. Definitely if we went with toy - it would need to be on the larger side because I have two sons.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok, here's my take.

I think all three sizes are equally trainable -- that is, they are all very trainable.

I think in general, the smaller the dog, the barkier it is, but that can vary among individuals and can be modified somewhat through training. Marley barks when he feels threatened by another dog, when he's trying to break up a fight, or when he hears his best dog buddy from next door outside. I wouldn't say he is particularly barky. I think the miniature I had growing up was more barky, but only when she heard something outside. She wasn't one of those dogs that seemed to bark-bark-bark for no reason.

I'm not aware of any correlation between size of dog and ability to withstand car rides -- I think individuals differ, just as with humans -- but I can tell you that Marley just went with us on a major road trip. At the longest point, we did 10 days in a row, driving about 6 hrs a day. He had no problem whatever, just curled up on a lap or in his bed.

One suggestion is that a miniature is a good compromise for what you want. They are small enough to be picked up and be lap dogs, but sturdy enough to play with fairly roughly (though obviously not as roughly as you can play with a standard). We take Marley hiking, swimming, to the beach, etc. He loves to fetch and can outrun almost all of the dogs at the dog park.

Caveat: Since Marley is a miniature, I may be a bit biased. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think a fixed boy is more calm than a fixed girl? As the poodle ages - I wonder if a boy would be more even tempered in personality?
(We've always been an extended family of fixed girl dogs - but I have to say that even though they are fixed, they can get a bit moody. I'm talking different small breeds...doxie, shih tzu, crestie...)
What size is your mini Marley?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't have enough experience to say. Marley is definitely calmer than the female (whose named was Ginger) was growing up. Both were fixed. But that could just be individual variation. And I think that Marley gets more exercise than we gave Ginger. Marley gets a half hour of hard running every morning (we play fetch with the chuck-it and he just runs his heart out). Back in the day, we thought that giving the dog a couple of walks around the block a day was good enough. So, yes, based on my small sample, males are calmer, but I am hesitant to generalize. Marley is four, by the way.

We measured Marley at 16" at the shoulder. I don't know if that is accurate, though. Technically, that would actually make him a standard, since anything above 15" is a standard. So, he would be about as small as a standard could be. :) His parents were both minis.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I agree - I think you are looking for a mini. I have to say that our minis do bark - especially when they are outside. But usually the little one sounds the alarm and all of them start. My standards are bad - Ginger is the bad one and TEddy picked it up from her. Its hard when you have more than one.

As far as the car - one standard and one mini love it and don't get sick. The other two have been car sick but getting better. so I think it would be just the dog. Looking at your 'want' list I would say you could do it with a mini poodle like Marley - but -now dont' call me traitor lol) a mini goldendoodle or labradoodle or a cockapoo might be better. sorry guys! lol

Ask Todd he has a doodle and a poodle.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious when you say your standards are bad:). From some. I've heard that standards are very easy to train and that there isn't much "destruction" during the puppy phase ( up to 18 months or so). But for the first time, I heard from a breeder of toys poodles who has a standard as a pet - that the standards can be destructive and hyper (as a young dog - up until 2 years old) like a lab. retriever. Is that what you mean by bad?
I think that my heart would love a standard but for the sake of my family - a mini sounds more like what we are looking for. (Or maybe a larger toy? There is one I've been looking at that looks like it will be 9 pounds...a male that is brown...what do you think of that?)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I shouldn't use the word bad - They are very very smart and trainable. I was just thinking of size for the kids etc - some standard are very large and some minis are very small. Teddy is destructive if I leave - he has separationg anxiety - I got him when he was two and I dont' know his history - he can open doors - I mean I think he was on his own with a bunch of other dogs. He always want to eat like he can't get enought. I think he might have had to fight for his food. ginger on the other had is a lady. HOwever, we had a problem wiht her as a puppy - she had fear agression and I had to get a trainer to come to the house and it helped a lot. she still growls at me if she thinks I am going to hurt her - like if I am grooming her feet. I have done everything I have been told to do about that and she is still very protective of her feet. also, if she is sleeping and someone goes too close she jumps up and growls before she even knows who it is. So I don't trust her with the baby - even though she loves the baby - if the baby hit her or pulled her hair I don't trust that she wouldnt snap at her. that is probably inherited. Teddy, you could step on him and he won't even cry out - so in his case - I have to protect him from the baby. lol Our minis - the one - cAssie - has that fear but Gabie is perfect. We always call Gabie the 'perfect dog' although she likes to bark but is extremely obedient. So I guess you will just have to do the trial by error - and training is very important. My trainer told me to go through the exercises of sit stay etc for at least ten minutes every day - even after she is trained - it will tire her. I watch the dog whisperer and he says excerise is first and I think he is right - the dogs have a lot of energy and need to get rid of it. I am looking into a tread mill for the standards becuase I can't always walk (arthritis) and I son't walk as far as they could. HOpe this helps

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
9 lbs is what Gabie is - she is the perfect dog. - she likes to sit next to you but doesn't keep pestering for pets like Cassie does. Funny, Teddy is like that too(lie Cassie- he pesters) and ginger is like Gabie. so standard or mini its all in the dogs personality.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hello,

My name is jennifer and Im a some what new Poodle owner with 2 small kids. We got are first Poodle last November (a standard) and we love him. I think the great thing about a standard is that with kids you can't hurt them as easy as you could accidentally hurt a small dog. Plus my experience with smaller dogs is that I have found them to be a little less tolerant of kids. Thats not always but I think more often then not. We just introduced a 2nd standard puppy a week ago and to this day we believe they are the easiest dogs to own. My son just can't stop talking about his Standard Poodles...its so cute and funny. lol

I definatly recommend a Standard for a family with kids. Poodles in general are inteligent so it doesn't take as much to train them. (so I believe) Any puppy can go through those wonderful destructive puppy stages. I think it also depends on how much space you give the puppy. Crating your puppy up when you leave or when you can't watch over him is good way to elminate issues. Crate training can be difficult at times but very rewarding after they are used to it.

Please post some picks when you get your dog. I think we would all love to see what you decide.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I've been reporting to hubby all my research. I have to admit that I think all three sizes are adorable but personally I just love the standards...
I'm glad to hear how well you've done with them in your family.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oh yes they are great. My son literally wrestles with my Standard Poodle Eli. My other Poodle is still new (only had him one week now) so I tell my son not yet on Mikey. But Eli, my standard just love's the attention even if he keeps getting wrestled down. My son is 3 yrs and the other is 1 on thurs. (both boys) Things can get ruff at my house. We Previously had Pitbulls which really are great with kids. We have never seen any breed be just as great until our Poodles. My husband still cant believe that he lives in a house of Poodles and not Pits but he can't help but come around to them. Poodles are wonderful dogs and very versatile. You can cut them in so many looks...its so much fun having Poodles.

I have been around all three sizes and all three are really great dogs. Of course Im partial to Standards though. lol I love my boys!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How ironic that your Eli has caught my eye all throughout this forum. He is just beautiful! Your new little guy looks so sweet too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another thing to consider is grooming. Standards take more time and money to keep in good shape. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I jsut re-read my post to you - when I said my standards were bad I meant that they bark and bark - the little ones sound the alarm and the big ones run to the front ha ha!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts