Poodle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Thank you so much for posting your method! So lucky both of you are away from this problem now.
I've struggled with my Spoo peeing on himself for over 2 months now, I tried your method for over a week now. Unfortunately, he stops peeing immediately when I touch his leg... Also he marks everywhere so he doesn't finish with one long pee. Once we reach the dog park and I let him go off-leash, he runs far far away from me and starts peeing (far enough to prevent me interrupting his business, I think he hates this)

Thank you for taking the time to share this. I know it's an older thread but I tuck away info like this to share with people who contact me with issues like this. I remember an owner when I was a kid who had an afghan hound who had a terrible time with peeing on his legs. Now I have a suggestion to offer thanks to this thread. Yay for thinking outside the box! And double yay for Jarl for figuring it out & using your guidance to do better!

I was still chuckling your thread title, while eagerly reading your post to find out what your magic method was! My spoo Ben has had the same problems since he started lifting his leg a year ago. My neighbor has a 10 year old (also white) male spoo who STILL pees on his legs, so I thought it was just something to live with. I definitely will give this a try, but I imagine Ben whipping his head around at me and stopping the stream as if I’ve scared it away...

I was still chuckling your thread title, while eagerly reading your post to find out what your magic method was! My spoo Ben has had the same problems since he started lifting his leg a year ago. My neighbor has a 10 year old (also white) male spoo who STILL pees on his legs, so I thought it was just something to live with. I definitely will give this a try, but I imagine Ben whipping his head around at me and stopping the stream as if I’ve scared it away...
mine stops peeing every time I tried to guide him... uhhh

Googling out of desperation tonight and found this post! I have a 17 month golden-doodle who has done this ever since he started lifting his leg. He constantly smells of pee! I’ve tried doggie wipes but most of the time it just ends up smelling of fragranced pee, ugh! I’m going to give this a try- wish me luck 🤞

Googling out of desperation tonight and found this post! I have a 17 month golden-doodle who has done this ever since he started lifting his leg. He constantly smells of pee! I’ve tried doggie wipes but most of the time it just ends up smelling of fragranced pee, ugh! I’m going to give this a try- wish me luck 🤞
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Have you had any luck? I’ve been struggling with this issue and am curious if it would work for my 1 year old golden-doodle.

My Spoo STOPPED PEEING ON HIS FRONT LEGS and I helped!

Not long ago, I read every relevant thread and sought advice here regarding my wonderful SPoo, Jarl, who at 13 months was still peeing on his front legs daily. He raised his leg, but urine sprayed up on his stomach/legs because he did not lift high enough AND started walking off while a full stream was still going. This left him a stinky mess and I was washing those front legs twice some days. :( I tried a pee string, no pee string, everything I could think of. Then 3 months ago I did something that WORKED! It's a minor miracle: Jarl has not pee'd on himself ONCE in over two months.

Life is so much easier. And everything smells better, lol.

What did we do? I started holding his hip/mid-section as he pee'd on our 2 X daily walks. I supported him in a stationary position, with higher lift, until the stream was done. I did this out of desperation and did NOT expect it to result in any learning or lasting change; I just didn't want to wash his legs again when I got home! But...over 2-3 weeks, he DID learn. He started holding his leg higher AND waited until the pee stream stopped before walking off. Voila! He does this all on his own, 100% of the time. I couldn't be happier. My beautiful, sweet Jarl now smells sweet and his white legs are no longer stained yellow. (Note: He was neutered recently, but had stopped peeing on himself 6 weeks before the surgery, so it wasn't that!)

I'm sharing it in hopes that it might work for other male Spoos, as I gather this is common. I am surprised and delighted that my intervention had lasting effect and completely resolved the problem!

If you are desperate, try it with your male. Good luck! I've included two pics of my handsome boy. He is my pride and joy. :)
OMG--am going to try this--I have a 10 mo old White Yorkie--and his front paws and chest are yellow --and stick. Not fixed yet-thank you so much!!

My Spoo STOPPED PEEING ON HIS FRONT LEGS and I helped!

Not long ago, I read every relevant thread and sought advice here regarding my wonderful SPoo, Jarl, who at 13 months was still peeing on his front legs daily. He raised his leg, but urine sprayed up on his stomach/legs because he did not lift high enough AND started walking off while a full stream was still going. This left him a stinky mess and I was washing those front legs twice some days. :( I tried a pee string, no pee string, everything I could think of. Then 3 months ago I did something that WORKED! It's a minor miracle: Jarl has not peed on himself ONCE in over two months.

Life is so much easier. And everything smells better, lol.

What did we do? I started holding his hip/mid-section as he peed on our 2 X daily walks. I supported him in a stationary position, with higher lift, until the stream was done. I did this out of desperation and did NOT expect it to result in any learning or lasting change; I just didn't want to wash his legs again when I got home! But...over 2-3 weeks, he DID learn. He started holding his leg higher AND waited until the pee stream stopped before walking off. Voila! He does this all on his own, 100% of the time. I couldn't be happier. My beautiful, sweet Jarl now smells sweet and his white legs are no longer stained yellow. (Note: He was neutered recently, but had stopped peeing on himself 6 weeks before the surgery, so it wasn't that!)

I'm sharing it in hopes that it might work for other male Spoos, as I gather this is common. I am surprised and delighted that my intervention had lasting effect and completely resolved the problem!

If you are desperate, try it with your male. Good luck! I've included two pics of my handsome boy. He is my pride and joy. :)
Great idea. I have stopped and given him lease support to. That helps.

Thanks again,

Brook

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.