Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted on here in EONS. I thought it was time for an update :)

If you remember Honey as a puppy she was very nervous and scared about pretty much anything on her walks. But wonderful and loving inside.

Fast forward to today: she is is 2.5 years old now, and a pleasure to walk.

She is able to pass dogs of all sizes and ignore them (she used to bolt at the sight of one.) A great example is there is one ancient lab in the neighbourhood that doesn't like other dogs. His owner will pull him over to a driveway to let dogs pass, and he's fine if he's held. The other day though, I came across them in a park with him off leash. He waddles, so I wasn't worried lol. Owner still went to get him and hold him. Honey very calmly sat when I told her and waited. Then ignored him as we passed him.

She has been good with traffic, but had trouble with bikes and strollers. She's totally fine with bikes now. Occasionally worried by strollers.

She still doesn't like children, and probably never will. But at least she no longer runs from them. She isn't fazed now if they come running up to her, and I tell them not to pet her.

Honey is also getting good with unexpected things! Example: I always make her sit before we cross a major intersection. We were coming up to one, and there's a lot of trees around. We pop around the corner, almost run into a Aussie with his owner, but Honey just gave him a glance, ignored, sat, then we went across the road!

The only thing we still have problems with is she doesn't like people walking behind us. She'll look and try to scoot ahead then stand and watch. But she's slowly getting better at it.

She will poke people hahaha. She loves poking us, and strangers are no different. She doesn't want to be petted, but will just give a POKE then move along ;) Too funny.

At home, her new trick is sitting pretty. She loves sitting up on her hindlegs if she wants something (a treat, pick up, or just plain look cute). And she KNOWS she looks adorable! :)

I'll try to post pictures later this week, but I am so happy with this girl and the progress she's made over the last year. Honey still amazes me with her smarts and silliness <3

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
That's a wonderful update. Congratulations to the both of you for good team work and training.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
That is a great update. It shows just how much a dedicated and patient training process can do to boost a dog's confidence.

Reactions: galofpink
1 - 3 of 3 Posts