Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any remedies you all might use for your pup who has an upset stomach -- mainly at night.

Back story: The past two night Norman has thrown up in the middle of the night. Its sometimes a bit chunky and sometimes just has small pieces of dinner left over (a few rice grains). He also threw up yesterday while I was at work. Nothing has changed in his diet. Nothing has changed in his environment. Nothing has changed in his schedule at all from what I can remember the past few days. No new animals, no new furniture, no new people, nothing! The past two mornings he will not get out of bed. He will lay on top of me and do nothing, I assumed he was lacking energy? When I try to get out of bed he will physically try and stop me by pushing me down with his paws or will (gently) bite my arms that try and move the sheets and I am wondering if he wants me to stay with him???
He also will not touch his breakfast the past two or three mornings, which he normally gobbles down quickly!! I will leave it out for him and he eventually gets to it. Instead of eating his breakfast he lays on my bed while I do my makeup beside it and get ready for work. He does this clingy-type behavior when something is "wrong" or bothering him. His stools are getting much more soft from what I can tell and he seems to be extremely gassy. His energy is the same from what I can tell and doesn't show any other signs of discomfort besides him being clingy and not eating breakfast. He normally will come visit me when hes done with his breakfast and go find toys to play with. But he lately wont leave my room.

Any one have any ideas on some good remedies for an upset belly? I am thinking of going to get some more pumpkin to add to his dinner.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions on whats potentially going on besides an upset belly. But if anyone sees these as symptoms of something please let me know. I told myself if he does it again tonight and wont eat tomorrow morning I will be calling the vet.

I appreciate all the advice you have! :)

Registered
It's too early to jump to conclusions, but those are some of the early signs of Addison's. If he doesn't perk up keep that in mind.
As far as the upset tummy goes: a 12 or 24 hour fast can help; cut his food down to just rice or oatmeal with some chicken. Pumpkin is great for diarrhea but for vomiting you want easily digested.

Super Moderator
Dogs are masters at hiding any pain or discomfort, so signs like that worry me.

If nothing's recently changed in his diet, I'd be off to the vet for bloodwork to be safe. He could have picked up a parasite or be showing early symptoms of a systemic illness. Or maybe it's nothing, but at least you'll know.

Registered
If he has been vomiting for more than 48 hours I would consult your vet. In the meantime I have found canned sensitive diet - I use Royal Canin - is very useful for settling an upset stomach. I used to cook rice and chicken, but I find he canned food even more effective.

Reactions: SamieNorman

Registered
I think you should see the vet. I see several red flags. He has thrown up three times now, and over two nights. He's not eating breakfast for the past 2-3 days which he normally gobbles down. He's laying on top of you in the morning, not getting out of bed which is a change in activity/behavior - I think he's telling you he's feeling uncomfortable or pain. His stools are getting soft and he's gassy. If this happened in one day and my dog was back to normal I wouldn't do anything.....but it looks like you're moving into day three.

It could be parasites or it could be something in his regular diet. Sometimes allergies or food intolerances build up over time - in dogs and people.

Reactions: SamieNorman

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! I鈥檓 a more concerned now because he threw up when I got home and this time it was a lot of contents. So overall 6 times now if my memory serves me right in the past 2-3 days. I called the vet and he鈥檚 going in tomorrow, hopefully earlier if they have a cancellation.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! And yes dogs are masters at hiding emotion but I think y鈥檃ll are also right that he鈥檚 showing me in other ways that he鈥檚 not happy (not getting out of bed).
Tonight for dinner he had just rice, chicken, and a few green beans but wouldn鈥檛 touch the pumpkin of course. Hopefully he will keep it down tonight. He鈥檚 been drinking plenty of water so I鈥檓 thankful he鈥檚 at least hydrated.
Thank you all again!! Please send positive thoughts our way.

Super Moderator
I inadvertently overdid it with veggies with my last dog. She had bad diarrhea鈥攖he kind that wakes you up to clean the floor multiple times in the night.

And Peggy vomited a few times in the night after having a bit of pumpkin, then refused any pumpkin the next day. No more pumpkin, no more vomiting. Phew! I always thought it was easy on their stomachs, but each dog's unique I suppose. And maybe it was just a coincidence.

Really hoping for some positive news about Norman....

Registered
when mine get an upset stomach I build boneless skinless chicken breast and white rice. They get small amounts during the day and I usually keep then on it for about 5 days and then I reduce the chicken adding back their kibble (normal meal) slowly. If all is good thats it, if not I then go to the vet .

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
So sorry for the late response everyone. I got very sick myself this past weekend and had a serious upper respiratory infection so long story short I was not online.

As far as Norman goes, the vet said she thinks its a stomach bug... she did a fecal sample as well with negative results. No blood work was taken. But I am not so sure and am going to see how he does tonight. So he threw up multiple times Last Saturday-Monday. (took to the vet Wednesday) He did not throw up Tuesday-Friday. But this past Saturday he threw up at like 3 am and dry-heaved 5 times in 15 minutes. So this was concerning. It is not Tuesday and he has had no other issues so far.The vet did offer medication for the vomiting but I did not take it because she kind of made it seem like it was not worth it since he seemed to be happy.

I am drawing up some conclusions by seeing what treats he's eating and what time. I think my final conclusion with this past Saturday's throw up was because I was informed (the next day) that Norman was not only given popcorn but also peanut butter cookie that he "stole" around 10 pm. So through I was very upset with the person who did this, I was more concerned for Norman. I have explained to my family multiples times to not feed him treat, especially past 7 pm. So I think these late night people food treats was the culprit then (I hope).

As far as last week, I am not sure. I am praying it is not Addison's and I do not think it is. His stools are solid-ish but not diarrhea. He has not lost weight (thankfully). He is eating dinner and will even clean up after our other two. But he still will not touch his breakfast for the first 30-1 hour which has only started this past week or so. This may just be him not hungry yet??? His energy is still great and no signs of pain or lethargic besides the middle of the night vomiting. In the mornings he sometimes doesn't want to get out of bed and other mornings he is waiting at the door.

What do you all think? I personally want to wait another day or two for more symptoms and then go for another opinion. Like I said he isn't showing any signs of weightless or depression. HE is happy but just not looking forward to breakfast. He also is 50/50 on waking up in the morning.

Important to note: Norman's dinner consist of kibble, chicken broth, rice, chicken, green beans (or sweet potatoes) and sometimes a spoon of pumpkin. He loves it. His breakfast is frozen biljac dog food. Hes had this since he was 3 months old.

Thank you all for praying for him and thinking of him. He's such a wonderful dog and I am hoping he's not hiding anything from me because if I didn't notice the vomiting I would never think anything is wrong!! He was groomed by me yesterday and I go to do my first face-shave! He is looking quite dapper :) Hoping this is just a stomach bug like the vet believed.

Super Moderator
A relief to hear from you! Sorry you've been so sick, as well.

I will share two personal anecdotes, in case they resonate:

1. Multiple times in my 14 years with Gracie, I got very sick and she vomited for the duration of my illness. I have no idea why. I will probably never know why. But it happened enough times that I know it wasn't a fluke. I don't know if there's bacteria that can affect dogs and humans, or if maybe she was stressed. We had a very close bond.

2. Gracie had various bouts of early morning vomiting throughout her life, and we determined it to be a stomach acid issue, aggravated by an empty stomach. Feeding her a handful of kibble right before she went to sleep, and not letting her be active until after her first meal of the day, stopped the vomiting 100%.

I know you're stabbing around in the dark right now, so thought it was worth sharing.

I do think it was wise you didn't give him that medication. He's not vomiting to the extent that he's getting dehydrated, right? Why add more variables to the equation.

Super Moderator
Just saw the rest of your post :) What are the ingredients in the chicken broth? And how many green beans? Have you increased his veggies recently? I think I mentioned previously that one of Gracie's worst stomach episodes was due to too much vegetable fibre. And Peggy vomited multiple times the night after I gave her pumpkin.

I've never heard of a doggy stomach bug that lasted a week without diarrhea..... Or has he been having diarrhea?

Registered
Okay, I'm so relieved to hear Norman is okay! I'm wondering why all the veggies/broth, etc. with his kibble? And what is in the broth? If there is onion, remember that is toxic to dogs. If Norman is picky, what I've found works best and is EASY is to sprinkle some PureBites dehydrated chicken breast on top of the kibble. It has helped my dogs to eat their breakfast without having to cook chicken or hamburger every morning!

Super Moderator
Okay, I'm so relieved to hear Norman is okay! I'm wondering why all the veggies/broth, etc. with his kibble? And what is in the broth? If there is onion, remember that is toxic to dogs. If Norman is picky, what I've found works best and is EASY is to sprinkle some PureBites dehydrated chicken breast on top of the kibble. It has helped my dogs to eat their breakfast without having to cook chicken or hamburger every morning!
I really need to get some of those! Thanks for the reminder. I like to carry tasty morsels during potty time, just in case Miss Can-I-Put-That-In-My-Mouth?? stumbles upon something intriguing. The less processed the better.

Another option is to keep an eye out for good sales on fresh raw turkey or chicken, cook and chunk a bunch, and then flash freeze on a sheet pan before storing in a ziplock bag in the freezer. That might be even cheaper, depending on the price per pound. (But would require me to get off my bum and actually do it!)

Registered
I really need to get some of those! Thanks for the reminder. I like to carry tasty morsels during potty time, just in case Miss Can-I-Put-That-In-My-Mouth?? stumbles upon something intriguing. The less processed the better.

Another option is to keep an eye out for good sales on fresh raw turkey or chicken, cook and chunk a bunch, and then flash freeze on a sheet pan before storing in a ziplock bag in the freezer. That might be even cheaper, depending on the price per pound. (But would require me to get off my bum and actually do it!)
You're welcome :) They are great for training too! Yep, cooking your own chicken and freezing it is cheaper, but a lot more work. The good thing about doing that, though, is that you can always have some on supply if your pup is sick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts