Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the china jerky scares I decided to make my dogs jerky instead of taking the risk buying it. I have to say not only is it WAY cheaper it is super easy! All you have to do is slice some lean meat real thin (this is easier if the meat is frozen), heat you oven up to 200 degrees, lay the pieces of meat over a wire cooling rack, and place it in the oven for 4 hours. Super easy right? Oh and if your meat is in the fattier side put a drip pan underneath so you don't have drippings all over your oven.
These are the results!!
ImageUploadedByPG Free1382768581.311773.jpg
Tomorrow we are going to try some chicken jerky!!! Yay!

Oh and FYI, don't try the treats yourself, they taste really gross, lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
That's a great idea. I often make home made liver treats. But they are kind of gross to carry around in my pocket. A baggie is a hassle in my pocket because it's hard to pick out the treats. Soooooooo....I love this idea of the dried out meat strips. Gonna try it! Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
With all the china jerky scares I decided to make my dogs jerky instead of taking the risk buying it. I have to say not only is it WAY cheaper it is super easy! All you have to do is slice some lean meat real thin (this is easier if the meat is frozen), heat you oven up to 200 degrees, lay the pieces of meat over a wire cooling rack, and place it in the oven for 4 hours. Super easy right? Oh and if your meat is in the fattier side put a drip pan underneath so you don't have drippings all over your oven.
These are the results!!
View attachment 98945
Tomorrow we are going to try some chicken jerky!!! Yay!

Oh and FYI, don't try the treats yourself, they taste really gross, lol.

My father in law used to make jerky like this for humans, you just marinate in your favorite spices and soy sauce and bake like you described and voila!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cut some of the these treats into small pieces and put them in a snack baggie in my pocket. This way I always have a treat handy for the many impromptu play/(secret training) sessions I have with Rain throughout the day.
That is a great idea! I will have to try that. It's always so hard to find grain free treats for training.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have been making jerky for my dogs for about a year now. I bought a dehydrator at Costco. Can't imagine life without one any more. Love it :)
I always thought you had to have a dehydrator to make jerky, but I was to cheap to by one :( lol. I am sure a dehydrator would make better jerky but the oven works great for now. Maybe I'll put a dehydrator on my Christmas list! ;).

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a great idea. I often make home made liver treats. But they are kind of gross to carry around in my pocket. A baggie is a hassle in my pocket because it's hard to pick out the treats. Soooooooo....I love this idea of the dried out meat strips. Gonna try it! Thanks!
How do you make your liver treats? I was thinking about getting liver at the grocery store today but decided not to.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so this is how the chicken jerky turned out! It is a lot tastier than the beef jerky :).

ImageUploadedByPG Free1382845003.521695.jpg

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but perhaps it bears repeating here. I buy chicken gizzards, cut them into pieces, and bake them in a 200 degree oven for a couple of hours, or until they're rubbery-dry. The dogs love them, and they're small enough that I don't worry about excessive calories. (Incidentally, I store them in the fridge, but I'm not sure that's necessary.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks!

I'm definitely going to try this. I'm following this puppy around instead of vice versa! I need something to lure her on. She follows me all around the apartment, but when she gets outside she gets so excited and just bounds around willy nilly. When I start walking away from her, she just stops and looks at me. I don't want to pull her. She's too little.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I posted this on another thread, but perhaps it bears repeating here. I buy chicken gizzards, cut them into pieces, and bake them in a 200 degree oven for a couple of hours, or until they're rubbery-dry. The dogs love them, and they're small enough that I don't worry about excessive calories. (Incidentally, I store them in the fridge, but I'm not sure that's necessary.)
Ooooo! I'll have to try this one too! Branna doesn't care for the gizzards and hearts raw, but I wonder if she will eat them dried out a bit. I know Killa and Winter will love them. Thanks for the great idea :).

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I'm going to make some beef jerky right now! I don't trust industrialized jerky no more... Bought human grade meat and it's going in the oven! Thanks for this thread! I'm making a lot! about 4lbs.

Should I freeze the jerky portions and defrost as needed? How do u guys do it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm going to make some beef jerky right now! I don't trust industrialized jerky no more... Bought human grade meat and it's going in the oven! Thanks for this thread! I'm making a lot! about 4lbs.

Should I freeze the jerky portions and defrost as needed? How do u guys do it?
Thanks!

I freeze & then put portions in the fridge as needed.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok cool!! Thanks! They have been in the oven.. How can u tell when it's done? Lol :p

The goal is to get as much moisture out of the meat as possible because that is what makes it go spoil fast. So if your meat still has moisture or isn't hard and easily breakable I would keep it in for a bit longer. if your meat was cut on the thicker side it might not dry out completely before it spoils, in that case you can take it out, but put it in an airtight container and either freeze it or feed it in 2-3 days. I had to do this with a few of my chicken pieces that were a little to thick, but they were happy to gobble them up :).

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
The goal is to get as much moisture out of the meat as possible because that is what makes it go spoil fast. So if your meat still has moisture or isn't hard and easily breakable I would keep it in for a bit longer. if your meat was cut on the thicker side it might not dry out completely before it spoils, in that case you can take it out, but put it in an airtight container and either freeze it or feed it in 2-3 days. I had to do this with a few of my chicken pieces that were a little to thick, but they were happy to gobble them up :).

Awesome! I turned the oven off. They look kinda ready or... Good enough! Haha! Should I have salted them? Sorry I have so many questions! But this is pretty exciting stuff to me :D
Ps. I will keep it in a ziplock bag :) and freeze some of it

1 - 20 of 47 Posts