Poodle Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Again, LOL and yes.
There're tips and suggestions scattered thru all these recent (and older) threads. Check out the Sticky threads also, and try a keyword search.
You've got this!
OK, other newbies out there, if you really want to get hair off the dog, proceed without the guide combs, but it is a little like
driving a car without brakes.... found out that as per new CDC guidelines, my state's groomers can now work, but no staff, no contact with customers, masks, pre-pay etc. Also my groomer has posted to her Facebook that she is now 6 weeks behind from people who already had appointments (and I am guessing that every dog she gets will be a wooly bear and she does not have the shampoo person to help) so I imagine I did the right thing clipping my poo myself....

·
Registered
97 Posts
After a long wait, my new UltraEdge 3 3/4 blade arrived and it will. not. cut. Sweet Peggy was sooo patient. I imagine it was tugging pretty hard as I tried her legs, her back, her sides. No luck.

So I went back to my ancient 10 blade, just to make sure her hair wasn't the issue. As usual, it cut like a hot knife through butter.

Chewy quickly ordered me a replacement, but it's on backorder. Argh.

Is there a possible human error that could prevent the longer blade from cutting?
I had the same issue with an ultraedge blade, I just returned it and bought a wahl steel comb.
It works very well and I don't have to switch out the blade.
(on Amazon you can buy the steel combs separately if like me you would have no use for the whole set.)

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Every few days, I take off a little more. It's a truly terrible haircut, but at least she feels better! Today I found a mat in her poor armpit, which must have hurt.

Tomorrow I'll continue with my old 10 blade and take some more hair off her face and feet. She's going to hate it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Every few days, I take off a little more. It's a truly terrible haircut, but at least she feels better! Today I found a mat in her poor armpit, which must have hurt.
It's not that terrible at all. You are being very cautious, I can tell- because that #10 blade isn't getting next to her skin in many places :)
I think you have the same clippers as me, AGC2?

That is the one I got because Noodle shaved down with a 10 blade is a very sad sight. And you won't have to worry about razor burn.

I agree with Rose- Look at that face! <3

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
It's not that terrible at all. You are being very cautious, I can tell- because that #10 blade isn't getting next to her skin in many places :)
I think you have the same clippers as me, AGC2?

That is the one I got because Noodle shaved down with a 10 blade is a very sad sight. And you won't have to worry about razor burn.

I agree with Rose- Look at that face! <3
Thank you! And yes, I've got the AGC2. I didn't realize you could mix and match brands.

I find the 10 is fine as long as I go with the hair. But it's so much more satisfying the other way. 😂 She's got a playdate on Tuesday—her first in almost 2 months—and I suspect there will be some giggling from the other owners.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Also, props to you sharing your progress pics while you groom bit by bit. I think many here wouldn’t have the guts to share like you have been! Your posts are always the truth. :)
That's true haha. I have to wait at least 24 hours after a trim to take photos because I'm constantly fixing things! Drives me crazy. But Peggy looks very understanding.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
She has the patience of a saint for about five minutes and then I get distinct "Are you kidding me??" vibes. 😂

As for sharing in-progress, I actually never would have considered being shy about this before joining Poodle Forum. Isn't that funny? I used to always share Gracie's silly home haircuts on Facebook and Instagram. That they were bad was all the more reason to share!

But something about having a purebred poodle does make me feel a little more protective of Peggy's appearance. And there are so many absurdly gorgeous poodles here, I can feel the self-consciousness creep in!

But then I figure, that's all the more reason to share. :) If someone turns up their nose at my attempts to keep Peggy comfortable through this unexpectedly challenging time, oh well. Their prob! Laughing through this stuff makes it all so much more bearable.

(Keep those gorgeous "after" photos coming, though!! Not only do they inspire me, they're just plain fun to look at.)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
She has the patience of a saint for about five minutes and then I get distinct "Are you kidding me??" vibes. 😂

As for sharing in-progress, I actually never would have considered being shy about this before joining Poodle Forum. Isn't that funny? I used to always share Gracie's silly home haircuts on Facebook and Instagram. That they were bad was all the more reason to share!

But something about having a purebred poodle does make me feel a little more protective of Peggy's appearance. And there are so many absurdly gorgeous poodles here, I can feel the self-consciousness creep in!

But then I figure, that's all the more reason to share. :) If someone turns up their nose at my attempts to keep Peggy comfortable through this unexpectedly challenging time, oh well. Their prob! Laughing through this stuff makes it all so much more bearable.

(Keep those gorgeous "after" photos coming, though!! Not only do they inspire me, they're just plain fun to look at.)
Haha I think you're doing great! I love Peggy's expressions in the progress photos. Misha has that same limited patience. After a bit he'll start trying to hold up his paw to block me and give me the look. I don't think he cares what he looks like. He did cry when he saw the hair falling last time I shaved him completely. But he was happy when he got used to it. And they feel so good!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I totally get why youd think twice about sharing your grooming realities here vs Facebook/instagram. The vibe is definitely different than on regular social media. The breed standard clips and the versatility of poodle hair leave a lot to live up to. I’m always in awe of the beautifully groomed poodles here.
Knowing that I’d always be doing Lacey’s grooming and never grooming a dog before her, I planned to share my grooming attempts, no matter how silly or half baked they looked. I never ended up doing any partial grooms with a clipper like I thought I might. I have much less dog than a standard and her level of impatience has been manageable with lots of treats.
I want to see all the grooming pics both great and not so great, because they’re all so inspiring and interesting.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
While I love a professional polished groom on a poodle when it’s done by a talented groomer.... there’s something so cute and lovely seeing a dog where the owner attempted to groom their dog during this era of COVID. It’s refreshing and fun

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
We took Peggy to play with her friends today for the first time in almost two months, and her trainer couldn't quite contain her shock. 😂 She said she didn't even look like the same dog.

Definite pointer vibes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
It isn't fun for me or my dog, but it gets better each time. I agree, keep it simple, brush her often, stop when they get too nervous. I don't do anal glands or ears; I will let the vet decide and handle when she visits her. Also, the plastic clipper combs are USELESS, and a good Andis AG or some such makes life easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We normally take Leeroy to a groomer. We live in Alaska so I don't keep him fancy. Just a one-length utility cut.

BUT ... Now we're on quarantine. I only have a regular Wahl corded clipper with comb attachments. Leeroy's fur is a few inches long and thick / wiry.

I am about to lose my mind. The first strip, with the grain, came off smooth. After that, it constantly clogs and snags. I have to stop, pull the comb off, pull the fur out, move the blade adjuster level to get the stuck fur out, and start again. I even oiled it. It still pulls and snags.

I tried a #4 comb for 1/2" and with the grain it's hardly making a difference. Tried a #3 and it's snagging to hell.

Now poor leeroy has a weird huge patch of shorter fur on his back. I'm about to lose my mind.

I have to add that we also don't have a table to put him on..at best I have a thin leash that I'm using to keep him at least sitting on the bathroom floor. He's 45 pounds and it's a small bathroom. It's very difficult.

Help... I WISH I hadn't tried doing this. He looks awful now.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
I would have to say, first off, buy a great clipper specifically for dogs; new blades;don't attempt to clip a dirty, matted area; use a table; lotsa treats or a treat mat and have a healthy glass of wine.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts