Poodle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have not dealt with the paws yet (I am supposed to clip between the toes? really?) or his nether parts. every day a new challenge.
Again, LOL and yes.
There're tips and suggestions scattered thru all these recent (and older) threads. Check out the Sticky threads also, and try a keyword search.
You've got this!

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
After a long wait, my new UltraEdge 3 3/4 blade arrived and it will. not. cut. Sweet Peggy was sooo patient. I imagine it was tugging pretty hard as I tried her legs, her back, her sides. No luck.

So I went back to my ancient 10 blade, just to make sure her hair wasn't the issue. As usual, it cut like a hot knife through butter.

Chewy quickly ordered me a replacement, but it's on backorder. Argh.

Is there a possible human error that could prevent the longer blade from cutting?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
After a long wait, my new UltraEdge 3 3/4 blade arrived and it will. not. cut. Sweet Peggy was sooo patient. I imagine it was tugging pretty hard as I tried her legs, her back, her sides. No luck.

So I went back to my ancient 10 blade, just to make sure her hair wasn't the issue. As usual, it cut like a hot knife through butter.

Is there a possible human error that could prevent the longer blade from cutting?
I'm wondering this too. It's so weird. And frustrating..I tried everything. We even ordered a new clipper. Yikes.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
I'm wondering this too. It's so weird. And frustrating..I tried everything. We even ordered a new clipper. Yikes.

There are no clumps to clean out like you described with yours. It just won't move through the hair. Argh. I'd definitely think the clippers were broken if my 10 blade wasn't still performing like a champ. Too bad it gives her a buzz cut! So rough feeling. Was much better with my last dog's silkier coat. She felt like velvet.

I hope your new clippers do the trick! I think they're worth the investment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
There are no clumps to clean out like you described with yours. It just won't move through the hair. Argh. I'd definitely think the clippers were broken if my 10 blade wasn't still performing like a champ. Too bad it gives her a buzz cut! So rough feeling. Was much better with my last dog's silkier coat. She felt like velvet.

I hope your new clippers do the trick! I think they're worth the investment.
Me too! Our groomer is going to help get him done this Saturday since he has some mats I don't want to try to tackle without help. Then I am going to be sure we keep up with baths and then clip him once he gets no longer than an inch long... I know it will take some time to learn to do it properly but I know we can do it. We bit the bullet and got him stuff for his nails and a few other blades and good shampoo etc.

That's so weird about your blade issue!! Is it not aligned?

·
Registered
592 Posts

I found that when assembling the blade, the lower cutter is adjustable relative to the upper cutter. When the lower cutter was adjusted too far forward, it would quickly clog, and stop cutting.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
My 5 in 1 works for my purposes but I'm learning about the detachable blades. Just curious if you chose the FC or the skip tooth? I understand the difference but not how the two types work differently.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
I found that when assembling the blade, the lower cutter is adjustable relative to the upper cutter. When the lower cutter was adjusted too far forward, it would quickly clog, and stop cutting.
Hmmmm. It came all as one piece. I didn't realize I could adjust the lower and there was no mention of that in the directions I followed. Do you by any chance have a link that explains this in detail?

(Clearly I have no clue what I'm doing.)

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
My 5 in 1 works for my purposes but I'm learning about the detachable blades. Just curious if you chose the FC or the skip tooth? I understand the difference but not how the two types work differently.
When I was choosing my next detachable blade, I did a search here for "skip tooth" and saw multiple posts saying to avoid them. I didn't dig any further into the topic and just went with FC.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Me too! Our groomer is going to help get him done this Saturday since he has some mats I don't want to try to tackle without help. Then I am going to be sure we keep up with baths and then clip him once he gets no longer than an inch long... I know it will take some time to learn to do it properly but I know we can do it. We bit the bullet and got him stuff for his nails and a few other blades and good shampoo etc.

That's so weird about your blade issue!! Is it not aligned?

That's great that your groomer is working again! I really hope ours is included in the first wave of reopenings. Hers is an ideal work environment for social distancing.

I'm not sure about alignment. I didn't see anything about this in the (admittedly not very detailed) instructions I followed.

·
Registered
13 Posts

looked at the web site... says: "• Fits all Andis detachable blade clippers in these series: AG, AGC, BDC, BG, DBLC, FHC, MBG, SMC " Is it supposed to fit your clipper? (dumb Q, but I had to ask)

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
looked at the web site... says: "• Fits all Andis detachable blade clippers in these series: AG, AGC, BDC, BG, DBLC, FHC, MBG, SMC " Is it supposed to fit your clipper? (dumb Q, but I had to ask)
I asked myself this, too! But I have the AGC2, which uses Andis detachable blades and came with an UltraEdge 10. So I assume it's the correct blade? It fits perfectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts

found this diagnostic site with a fun diagram:

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
That's so kind of you! Makes my very non-mechanical brain freak out a bit. :D

I'm going to try following this alignment tutorial tomorrow:

·
Registered
13 Posts
and this on the Andis site:

any chance it is the speed controller? just guessing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ni

c

nice video.... notice the guy doesn't accidentally drop one of the screws and spend 20 mins crawling around the floor looking for it (like in real life). hopefully you just had the blade too tight and can adjust it. I was amazed how many little poodle fibers collected inside my new clippers- little tiny ones, and I thought "brushing will not be enough- need to vacuum these out."

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
ni

c

nice video.... notice the guy doesn't accidentally drop one of the screws and spend 20 mins crawling around the floor looking for it (like in real life). hopefully you just had the blade too tight and can adjust it. I was amazed how many little poodle fibers collected inside my new clippers- little tiny ones, and I thought "brushing will not be enough- need to vacuum these out."
Ha! I can definitely see myself doing that.

The blade came assembled, so if it's too tight, it was a quality control issue. But still - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ha! I can definitely see myself doing that.

The blade came assembled, so if it's too tight, it was a quality control issue. But still - fingers crossed!
oh, and Peggy's nose- was trying to think what it remined me of-
she looks like George Washington. kind of regal in a way.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts