Poodle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
meljen, sorry, I'm struggling to keep up. This is a used blade you're having trouble with? Can you order a new replacement? Mine took about two weeks to arrive from Chewy.

We have a neighbour who's been coaching me, and he gets his blades sharpened every 10 grooms.
We were trying to save money by buying a clipper and blades through eBay. They were all used. Didn't look to be in bad condition kexcept the clippers smell like cat pee which is gross)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
If he's matted, the recommendation is to NOT bathe because water will tighten the mats as they dry. If you can get him brushed out and the worst clipped out, then bathed, it should work. I think the trick might be to get the clipper blade under the mat level.Someone with more experience there will weigh in I hope.

I've tried an experiment and frankly don't know whether it's a recommendation for or against trying this. It's the closest I could come to grooming poodle fur with household scissors and my starter grooming clippers, Andis Li Lithium Ion clippers, and leaving my poodle intact.

My idea was to see if it's possible to scissor the fur off then use whatever clippers one might have to smooth things out a bit. I figure the amusement factor alone is worth it. "She did what? Put a sheepskin on her poodle and did what??!!"

Lol that's an awesome video! Yes my husband made the mistake of trying to wash him before our recent clipping attempt, with the knots still there. I have a few pairs of good, sharp shearing-like scissors and I actually have the comb attachment ones from Scaredy cut. I think I'm going to brush him and hand trim him down, bathe him, then clip him to make him even.

Thank goodness he no longer has his testicles. As it is I have NO idea how I'm going to safely get the mat off of the tip of his you-know-what lol!

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
We were trying to save money by buying a clipper and blades through eBay. They were all used. Didn't look to be in bad condition kexcept the clippers smell like cat pee which is gross)

But blades still need to be kept sharp, even if they're in good condition. Otherwise they're going to hurt your poodle and drive you nuts. No amount of bathing or brushing will help.

A replacement blade is not expensive. We purchase through Chewy. Or you can sharpen the one you have.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
But blades still need to be kept sharp, even if they're in good condition. Otherwise they're going to hurt your poodle and drive you nuts. No amount of bathing or brushing will help.

A replacement blade is not expensive. We purchase through Chewy. Or you can sharpen the one you have.
One that we got seemed to work perfectly. The other needs to be fixed. It looks like it's in bad condition and misaligned.

I do think his dirty condition is making everything clog up. The 7f blade (the nice looking one that was supposedly hardly used when we bought it) cut through a patch of fur that was cut down from previous clipping attempts like butter. The second it hit his long fur areas, it wouldn't cut. And that's when the oil between the blades started looking brown. His fur feels dirty.

Anyway I'm going to try to sharpen the one and clean it, double check the other, and also scissor him down and de-mat and bathe him really well. We have a NEW blade coming, this one is a 3 or 4f. (Can't remember off the top of my head) - I might test that one against the others in a very small spot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I need to add that we can't buy from Chewy. I wish we could. We live in Alaska and they don't ship here. Our best bet is Amazon. And I always make sure to get direct from them rather than 3rd party sellers if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I didn't think to check shipping to Alaska from Valley Vet. just in case that's an option for you :(.

Thank goodness he no longer has his testicles. As it is I have NO idea how I'm going to safely get the mat off of the tip of his you-know-what lol!
LOL to that. These are my first boys and it turns out, boys have different bits!
With my two, the sheath covering isn't particularly sensitive and stretches a bit. I'd see if he'll let you gently place your fingers at the end, just barely squeezing so you know there's no skin left out, then clip as close to your fingers as you feel comfortable. If there's still a bit of a mat left, you can try the clippers by going unidirectional from the tail end towards the nose. My boys also don't seem to mind that. If I do it right, they end up pretty furfree there for a while.

I still believe that you'll get this done :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I didn't think to check shipping to Alaska from Valley Vet. just in case that's an option for you :(.

LOL to that. These are my first boys and it turns out, boys have different bits!
With my two, the sheath covering isn't particularly sensitive and stretches a bit. I'd see if he'll let you gently place your fingers at the end, just barely squeezing so you know there's no skin left out, then clip as close to your fingers as you feel comfortable. If there's still a bit of a mat left, you can try the clippers by going unidirectional from the tail end towards the nose. My boys also don't seem to mind that. If I do it right, they end up pretty furfree there for a while.

I still believe that you'll get this done :)
Thank you for the tip! (Haha HILARIOUS pun)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you Reraven123 and RosenPoos for the blade info! Very helpful. I'm going wash my boy and use the clippers on him again tomorrow. I used the 3/4 length light purple Wahl steel attachment last time, and a few weeks later he's very long again. I'm too traumatized to use the clipper without the steel attachments...afraid I'll razor burn him again. I've been reading online that beginners should not be using a "skip tooth blade" because it can be dangerous. Does anyone know if the blade that comes with the Wahl Bravura 5-in-1 is a "skip tooth blade?"

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It really truly doesn't matter if he ends up looking, ummm, funny :). It won't last long and as he grows out a bit, when you get the clipper situation sorted, you'll get another chance.

I have to say that once I started doing the grooming last October, I think, I clip some part of them every bath. Partly to improve my skills, partly to break the grooming up - body and head done one bath, legs the next, sani done every bath, which is every two weeks. I'm getting faster, if not better lol.

I've come to really like doing grooming on my schedule and keep them at a length I like. It was fun getting "new" poodles every 2-3 months, but I'd still be doing bits regardless, and it's just not in my budget to have it done professionally that often. I'm way ahead already on my investment in clippers, combs, and scissors. (You'll LOVE curved shears if you decide to go for the regular home groomings.)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Does anyone know if the blade that comes with the Wahl Bravura 5-in-1 is a "skip tooth blade?"
It's definitely NOT a skip tooth blade. Skip tooth looks like a horror movie opening scene to me lol.

Skip Tooth

Bravura/Arco/Motion/Figura/Chromado style 5 in 1

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Plastic combs get full of hair and clogs. If you can go for the stainless steel comb attachments as they will glide better through the fur.

Also an Oster A5 is what I ordered to get started on my own dogs. It’s a little heavy, but not bad really. If you’re not wanting to make a big investment eBay has people selling them used for around $40 and up.
Better than combs are actual blades. Hair tends to get caught in combs - not a nice thing to do to a dog! You can do a decent pet groom with a 10 (face, feet, tail) and a 4 (body and legs). Then get a very, very good pair of curved shears for the topknot and tail.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm thinking perhaps he is really dirty. I brushed him with a slicker brush and got a whole side brushed out, and his fur feels kind of gross. Like greasy or something. He's black and the deep parts of his coat look grey. So I'm assuming he's really dirty. We bathed him recently. So I feel kind of at an impasse.
You can make a spray bottle 1/2 apple cider vinegar, 1/2 water and use that as a detangler/degreaser and I would recommend
using a comb prior to clipping. If you cannot get a comb through, you are probably going to have to do a shavedown.

A dirty dog will destroy your blades either way.

So you may as well tackle all the mats with a blunt tipped scissor until you can comb him out and give him a good bath, don't condition unless his hair is damaged.
Chubbs sugar soap has been a godsend.
and if it is at all possible- invest in or borrow an andis 2 speed because it makes life easier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You can make a spray bottle 1/2 apple cider vinegar, 1/2 water and use that as a detangler/degreaser and I would recommend
using a comb prior to clipping. If you cannot get a comb through, you are probably going to have to do a shavedown.

A dirty dog will destroy your blades either way.

So you may as well tackle all the mats with a blunt tipped scissor until you can comb him out and give him a good bath, don't condition unless his hair is damaged.
Chubbs sugar soap has been a godsend.
and if it is at all possible- invest in or borrow an andis 2 speed because it makes life easier.
Thank you very much for all of the details, it helps. I'm going to try all of the brushing and shampooing etc and see what happens with the clippers. If they're still a bust I'll get the Andis 2 speed. Thank goodness the blades are interchangeable because we just ordered 2 brand news ones for the Oster A5!

Oh, how can you tell if a poodle's fur is damaged?

I found the chubbs soap, is it just the bar? Does it last long as far as number of baths? And what conditioner would you recommend?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you very much for all of the details, it helps. I'm going to try all of the brushing and shampooing etc and see what happens with the clippers. If they're still a bust I'll get the Andis 2 speed. Thank goodness the blades are interchangeable because we just ordered 2 brand news ones for the Oster A5!

Oh, how can you tell if a poodle's fur is damaged?

I found the chubbs soap, is it just the bar? Does it last long as far as number of baths? And what conditioner would you recommend?

I doubt your poodle's hair is damaged. Split ends are really the thing conditioner addresses, nowadays people use appliances and products that dry out hair
and conditioner replenishes it but your poodle doesn't have a hair iron :). The chubbs sugar soap is all you need. The bar lasts about 4 baths, you lather up 2x- it rinses out very well- you can feel that squeaky clean in their fur. It smells divine, like sandalwood and cigars (sounds weird I know, but you will see,) and that scent stays current for weeks- everyone who meets your poodle will say- he smells better than most people. (just kidding!) That soap changed my life-I was quite overwhelmed with her hair matting up all the time before a groomer recommended it to me.

I recommend no conditioner at all. And I recommend air drying, when nearly dry, take a steel comb to it- the slicker seems to frizz them up.
Pick his hair like it is an afro pulling up very gently from the root- the hair tends to wend and create mats near the root so you want to untangle before it
gains momentum. Just little bits at a time. In the beginning it took a long time for me to get through Noodle with a comb, now it just takes 15 minutes,
and she eventually just allows it and dozes. I still use a slicker when her hair is short but it just doesn't keep her from matting. (cotton hair)

The vinegar and water thing will help a lot with brushing him out before bathing. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I doubt your poodle's hair is damaged. Split ends are really the thing conditioner addresses, nowadays people use appliances and products that dry out hair
and conditioner replenishes it but your poodle doesn't have a hair iron :). The chubbs sugar soap is all you need. The bar lasts about 4 baths, you lather up 2x- it rinses out very well- you can feel that squeaky clean in their fur. It smells divine, like sandalwood and cigars (sounds weird I know, but you will see,) and that scent stays current for weeks- everyone who meets your poodle will say- he smells better than most people. (just kidding!) That soap changed my life-I was quite overwhelmed with her hair matting up all the time before a groomer recommended it to me.

I recommend no conditioner at all. And I recommend air drying, when nearly dry, take a steel comb to it- the slicker seems to frizz them up.
Pick his hair like it is an afro pulling up very gently from the root- the hair tends to wend and create mats near the root so you want to untangle before it
gains momentum. Just little bits at a time. In the beginning it took a long time for me to get through Noodle with a comb, now it just takes 15 minutes,
and she eventually just allows it and dozes. I still use a slicker when her hair is short but it just doesn't keep her from matting. (cotton hair)

The vinegar and water thing will help a lot with brushing him out before bathing. Best of Luck!
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK...got the Wahl clipper last week. Finally charged it up and started the process. Even though people criticized them, I like the plastic combs because as a beginner, I feel that they prevent me from doing serious damage. I have just been doing a bit at a time-not sure if the dog would like this to go faster ("are you still cutting my hair, Mom?") but the temperature here has dropped too (30s!), so I am not as concerned about him roasting.

beginning:

hair removed thus far:

dog now:

Can I cut faster than he can regro? stay tuned.... do other poodles have so much neck fur? am sure it was to protect them from saber toothed tigers in the Pleistocene..

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Can I cut faster than he can regro? stay tuned.... do other poodles have so much neck fur? am sure it was to protect them from saber toothed tigers in the Pleistocene..
LOL

He looks good :). The plastic combs are fine. If you're thinking of making a habit of this, you may want to invest in the steel combs down the road.

I knew I was going to become the primary groomer when Remo was in danger of getting fired by his long suffering groomer so that's why I upgraded my kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my dog had a very good but very strict (also did dog training) groomer for 14 years- she started with him as a puppy and
he is very well behaved in that respect. I suspect if he could talk he would tell me what I am doing wrong! She moved away since her husband retired and I was concerned about getting him some one new at such an old age, but I found another person and I believe that he is always well behaved and cooperative for the groomers. He does not get upset about the clippers near his face and they really are pretty quiet. they weigh nothing. I have not dealt with the paws yet (I am supposed to clip between the toes? really?) or his nether parts. every day a new challenge.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts