Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We normally take Leeroy to a groomer. We live in Alaska so I don't keep him fancy. Just a one-length utility cut.

BUT ... Now we're on quarantine. I only have a regular Wahl corded clipper with comb attachments. Leeroy's fur is a few inches long and thick / wiry.

I am about to lose my mind. The first strip, with the grain, came off smooth. After that, it constantly clogs and snags. I have to stop, pull the comb off, pull the fur out, move the blade adjuster level to get the stuck fur out, and start again. I even oiled it. It still pulls and snags.

I tried a #4 comb for 1/2" and with the grain it's hardly making a difference. Tried a #3 and it's snagging to hell.

Now poor leeroy has a weird huge patch of shorter fur on his back. I'm about to lose my mind.

I have to add that we also don't have a table to put him on..at best I have a thin leash that I'm using to keep him at least sitting on the bathroom floor. He's 45 pounds and it's a small bathroom. It's very difficult.

Help... I WISH I hadn't tried doing this. He looks awful now.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
Okay, the first thing that come to mind is, is his fur blown out straight of left curly? Did you line brush him first?
Are you using plastic or metal combs?

About the snagging.
It would help if you have him completely brushed out first that way it has nothing to really snag on. Go with the grain, and curve down the ribs to follow the direction of the coat growth. That might help to reduce the snagging. You could try a longer or shorter comb and see if one of them catches less.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am afraid I have the same or similar cheap wahl clipper, and it's not worth the storage room it takes in the house for shaving my poodle, though it is okay for human hair or the yorkie. I can't cut my poodle with it either with a comb if there are ANY tangles. It sucks, but your best bet may just to put it on the longest setting and just shave :( I have done it when my good clipper was broken.

For logistics- can you use your kitchen table? It makes a huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
I'm just focusing on brushing for now, in the (overly optimistic) hopes we'll be able to get Peggy professionally clipped again within the month. Maybe you could do the same? Call the funny shaved patch his quarantine 'do and have a good laugh about it.

Of course, even brushing can be a nightmare. I'm not sure I'm even getting all the way through Peggy's coat (which is mid-change). I thought I had a comb with rotating teeth somewhere, but maddeningly cannot find it.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
(Not sure what Leeroy's temperament is like, but my biggest worry is making the grooming process so unpleasant that it makes a lasting impression and causes future drama. So my priority is to prevent that and painful mats. Vanity's out the window for us for now.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am afraid I have the same or similar cheap wahl clipper, and it's not worth the storage room it takes in the house for shaving my poodle, though it is okay for human hair or the yorkie. I can't cut my poodle with it either with a comb if there are ANY tangles. It sucks, but your best bet may just to put it on the longest setting and just shave :( I have done it when my good clipper was broken.

For logistics- can you use your kitchen table? It makes a huge difference.
We literally don't have a table to put him on. No kitchen table, just a small circle one, and a folding (very wobbly) card table.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just focusing on brushing for now, in the (overly optimistic) hopes we'll be able to get Peggy professionally clipped again within the month. Maybe you could do the same? Call the funny shaved patch his quarantine 'do and have a good laugh about it.

Of course, even brushing can be a nightmare. I'm not sure I'm even getting all the way through Peggy's coat (which is mid-change). I thought I had a comb with rotating teeth somewhere, but maddeningly cannot find it.
We used to try to brush him in between groomings but in the summer we get rain, and in the winter it's snow. He matted fast. So we don't even brush him between grooms. It keeps his fur from matting at all.

And yes haha... We joke that it looks like he was wearing a saddle. I'm just leaving it until we can get to the groomer.

I cut around his eyes so he can see. He's happy. He doesn't care about his fur. So I'm just going to chill and wait.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(Not sure what Leeroy's temperament is like, but my biggest worry is making the grooming process so unpleasant that it makes a lasting impression and causes future drama. So my priority is to prevent that and painful mats. Vanity's out the window for us for now.)
He's a nervous and sensitive dog. Otherwise a hyper goofball. But yes I had put on classical music and was talking calmly, once he started to pant and I started getting frustrated with the clipper, we just stopped. I'm done. Not worth it unless we get an expensive clipper that can glide through his thick fur.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Any recommendations for clippers? I only have a trimmer which isn't going to work if I have to attempt to do a full groom myself. Something lightweight....

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've no idea if this is even a good idea but can you scissor him down to where you could get the clipper thru? He may not win any contests but there's no predicting how long this will all last and if he should start matting, that can be painful and even dangerous.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've no idea if this is even a good idea but can you scissor him down to where you could get the clipper thru? He may not win any contests but there's no predicting how long this will all last and if he should start matting, that can be painful and even dangerous.
His coat is extremely thick all the way down. The clippers I have get clogged so fast I can't make any progress.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I know we have some skilled groomers on PF who don't post regularly. You might try PMing Mysticrealm or Itzaclip to see if they have any suggestions. I'm sure there are others I'm not pulling out of my memory banks atm.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think the sort of clippers you need are either andis 2 speed or 5 speed, or the wahl km5 or km10. I don't know what the advantages of the particular models are. But those are the ones I typically see recommended for heavy poodle coats. I am still using just a bravura for mine, but he doesn't have a thick coat.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Any recommendations for clippers? I only have a trimmer which isn't going to work if I have to attempt to do a full groom myself. Something lightweight....
A lot of folks go for the cordless Wahl Bravura 5 in 1 or several others in that category.

Some of those can be used with a cord too. These are lighter weight and slightly lighter duty than the corded only options.

The Andis AGC2, corded single blade

is well recommended as is the Oster A5 corded single blade (the blades are changeable).

I went for a Wahl Motion 5 in 1 cordless/corded because it was rated at twice the recharge life cycle than the Bravura, but was more $$ also. Remo's fur is a challenge because it's finer and softer, Neo's is because it's thicker and coarser. The clipper handles them both pretty well. It's my technique that's lacking :).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was looking for the recommended tools on Amazon and found this... I had thought of using scissors anyway, as leeroy is so much more patient with those (he lets me cut close to his eyes with blunted tip scissors).

This looks pretty amazing. It would take patience. But with how much my current clipper is clogging I'm sure it wouldn't be worse than that...

They're by a brand called Scaredy Cut.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts