Poodle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
The other, of course, is leaving food out to defrost and coming back to find Tilly-cat has eaten most of it - she even knocks stuff down for the dogs when she has had enough! I have to remember to put a heavy bowl over the food, or make sure that I have shut the door without shutting her in. I have a jar of cat kibble for Pip's medicine - one scoop with a few drops of Loxicom late in the evening keeps him comfortable and prevents the early morning heaves. Tilly has been known to sit beside it scooping biscuits out with one paw. She is very rarely caught up on the benches, though - cats are the ninjas of the counter surfing world!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
The only bit of a home made diet I find a little challenging these days is remembering to get the food out of the garage freezer in time for it to defrost sufficiently before cooking up a batch. Fortunately the dogs love the "Ooops, I forgot!" stand by meals, like canned sardines or scrambled eggs!
I have a little system to help with that problem. Most of the time it works once I made it a routine. When I have their meal ready in the fridge and I feed it to them, while they're eating, I take a look in the 8x8 pan I keep their stuff in that they may not have used all up for that meal. For instance, there may still be some organ meat I can use the next night or a little left over of something else. I figure out what is needed for the next meal to make it balanced and I go into the garage freezer and pull out what I'll need the next night. I may not need another bone. Sometimes I've taken out some chicken feet which are packaged with a couple in the baggies. There may still be enough toes left for another meal. lol. But I will need more meat. Or I might need liver since I fed kidneys that meal or the one before (I try to switch between liver and another organ meat each meal but sometimes they'll get one thing twice in a row if there's a lot in the bag)...well, you get the idea. Anyhow, that's my little ritual. While they're eating, I prepare for the next meal. Then I come in from the garage, let it start to thaw on the counter and then put it in the fridge to finish thawing for the next meal. I only feed once a day...in the evening except for a very light snack in the morning.

Eggs are great. I feed them eggs a few times a week...just a little drizzled over their food. And in a pinch, what a great, whole food to feed. Or some canned to keep on hand. I do that too and some frozen commercial for emergencies. I only feed shells that have been boiled (to get the mineral oil off that they often put on in grocery stores) and then I grind them up into a powder to keep on hand in case I don't have a bone ready.

Anyhow, that's an idea to help combat forgetting to get something out of the freezer.

Reactions: PuffDaddy

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a little system to help with that problem. Most of the time it works once I made it a routine. When I have their meal ready in the fridge and I feed it to them, while they're eating, I take a look in the 8x8 pan I keep their stuff in that they may not have used all up for that meal. For instance, there may still be some organ meat I can use the next night or a little left over of something else. I figure out what is needed for the next meal to make it balanced and I go into the garage freezer and pull out what I'll need the next night. I may not need another bone. Sometimes I've taken out some chicken feet which are packaged with a couple in the baggies. There may still be enough toes left for another meal. lol. But I will need more meat. Or I might need liver since I fed kidneys that meal or the one before (I try to switch between liver and another organ meat each meal but sometimes they'll get one thing twice in a row if there's a lot in the bag)...well, you get the idea. Anyhow, that's my little ritual. While they're eating, I prepare for the next meal. Then I come in from the garage, let it start to thaw on the counter and then put it in the fridge to finish thawing for the next meal. I only feed once a day...in the evening except for a very light snack in the morning.

Eggs are great. I feed them eggs a few times a week...just a little drizzled over their food. And in a pinch, what a great, whole food to feed. Or some canned to keep on hand. I do that too and some frozen commercial for emergencies. I only feed shells that have been boiled (to get the mineral oil off that they often put on in grocery stores) and then I grind them up into a powder to keep on hand in case I don't have a bone ready.

Anyhow, that's an idea to help combat forgetting to get something out of the freezer.
Or just toss it to them frozen :) Great way to solve that problem, at least for the dog! Asaah eats all her organs frozen. She likes them better that way, plus it's a great way to clean her teeth. Or I get Blue Ridge Beef and give her a whole roll frozen so she gets the teeth cleaning benefit since it's ground. She forms plaque fast, so she gets her organs frozen, plus big frozen balls of whatever I put in it or something that's already big like a pork shoulder a few times a week to help keep her teeth clean.

For the cat, if I forget to defrost something, I just put either some whole prey or a turkey heart or something in a ziplock bag and put it in the sink with warm water. It thaws in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Yes, that can be fed frozen. I just find it easier to divide stuff that's all stuck together to make a meal for each dog. I have, for instance meat for two.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
If it's just one meal it's easy to defrost, or feed part frozen -my disorganisation is more remembering to bring in big packs to defrost when it is time to do a batch cook. Those can take ages to soften enough to chop off a meal size portion, even in warm water! Which reminds me, I must cook up the six packs I set to defrost last night... i am doing some cooked, some raw at the moment and all four animals seem to be enjoying the raw minced beef and chicken with added veggie cubes for the dogs, but I am still not entirely happy about refreezing raw meat!

·
Premium Member
24,374 Posts
Refreezing raw meat is not something to be happy about! Multiple cycles of thawing and refreezing are worse than thawing and refreezing once. From a microbiological perspective the time the meat is thawed give opportunities not only for the reproduction of microorganisms but more importantly perhaps the production of toxins that can spoil the food. Some enterotoxins are not heat denaturable, in other words they will survive the cooking of the food. If I thaw something I always cook it before I refreeze it.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
Absolutely - I am very careful to refreeze as quickly as possible, ideally while the meat is still partly frozen. Once it has been standing for any time it gets cooked. If I am doubtful it gets chucked. Yesterday's raw was back in the freezer within a few hours, the stuff to cook was still slightly firm when it went in the pan. I know dogs eat ancient and repulsive stuff given half the chance, but I also know how often I have been up most of the night with them as a result!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I called the health dept. and they said as long as there is about 50% ice crystals still in the meat, it's okay. Vegetables need more ice crystals. They're actually more at risk. I called them once when my electricity went out and my stuff started to thaw. This was ages ago. Anyhow, I find that meat and especially organ meat is way easier to cut when it's still quite frozen...just thawed enough to be able to put a knife through it.

So, the other day, for instance, I took out a leg of lamb that had been frozen. (just once) and I thawed it about 1/3 to 1/2 way and cut the whole thing up all at once and put meal sized portions in the freezer bags and right back into the freezer. So that meat didn't even thaw entirely. Then I got after some chicken thighs. I cut off the meat and cut the bones in half, packaging those things separately. (meat and bone) That's kind of how I have to feed my tiny dogs. I can't just throw them a whole thigh...it's too much bone all at once for them. How do you do it Fjm? Do you give bone every few days or every day? I might give it another go with balancing over time. But I found it difficult to regulate their poop very well that way. So I've been balancing every day. Hence, I must feed very small parts of bones. Those duck and chicken feet can be cut with poultry shears and a toe or two given. ewww. Or a wing cut up. A whole one would be too much all at once if fed every day...for my two pip squeaks.

Anyhow, from all my reading, (and observing my own dogs over the years) they are not nearly as sensitive to bacteria as we are. After all, just think what coyotes and other wild dogs and even domestic dogs eat...road kill that's been sitting out in the sun for who knows how long, icky poop and other disgusting things. My dogs use to bring back the grossest, unidentifiable stuff out of the woods on my property sometimes. Their digestive tracts are designed to handle most of that stuff, not all, but most. My dogs have never gotten sick from any of this, even at rare times where I may not have done it quite right with the freezing. It's funny...lots of vets and other people think feeding raw is so dangerous, not only to pets, but to humans...that "shedding" of salmonella is going to get us. Loads and loads of people feed a raw diet to their pets and I never hear of any animal or human getting sick from bacteria in the food. Never...unless the dog was already sick.

http://healthydogclub.com/2015/04/bacteria-in-your-dogs-food-is-not-dangerous-and-here-is-why/

http://rawfed.com/myths/zoonotic.html

Reactions: Red lippy mel

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
The minced (ground) meat I buy is 10% bone, 10% offal and 80% muscle, so if I were only feeding that there would be little balancing to do. I often feed chicken wings (half each, for one of two meals a day), and those are higher in bone, and I have found that some of the minced meat also has too much bone for my two. So these days I buy some of the complete and some muscle only, and mix and match a bit. I probably need to add a little more offal, especially liver, to balance it completely, but they get liver treats which help, and I often chuck a piece of liver and a kidney or two into the pot. 10% of a few ounces is a very tiny amount, as you know!

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Thanks Fjm. Yep...that must be helpful for sure to have the mixed stuff already balanced. I do keep a bag of pre-made raw on hand in the freezer for those times I need it...if I'm traveling or what not. Maurice has decided though, that he doesn't like it. But he likes canned well enough and his raw, fresh food, they both gobble up no matter what it is.

Oh, and regarding bacteria... I am not saying that all bacteria is harmless. Of course it's not. There are several that would likely over whelm a dog, such as listeria. That's a bad one. But they seem to be able to handle a little salmonella or e-coli...at least most of them.

Well, thanks for explaining your method. It sounds like a good way, though I've always liked the idea of feeding chunks rather than ground meat. Hmmm...but maybe for some meals. Mix and match. Good idea.

Reactions: fjm

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
I have tried chunks, but Poppy bolts them whole (or rather it, one decent sized chunk being a meal!), and then either regurgitates it immediately, or spends the next hours in and out eating grass and being miserable until she finally gets rid of it. The mince doesn't seem to cause the same problem.

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been feeding my girl cooked food for 3 weeks and have had great success. Try using the BalanceIt.com Free Autobalancer recipe generator. You choose the ingredients, and based on your dog's weight, it will calculate the amount of calories she needs for a day, week, or however long you want. The cool thing is that it shows you the nutrient profile so you know what vitamins and minerals that recipe is lacking. They do that so you'll buy their vitamin mix, but I've never used it because it's in powder form and some pet parents said that their picky eaters didn't like the powder.

The only thing it doesn't do is tell you how to cook everything. So it will give you the amount of each ingredient you need, but it's up to you to cook it. I have a great crock pot recipe I've used with the BalanceIt ingredient list if you're interested.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your interest and advice on this thread. Thought I'd let you know that I've given up on the home cooking for the time being. She displayed no more interest in that food after a day or two than she did in the commercial foods I'd tried. Combining my doubt as to my ability to fulfill her nutritional needs with the fact that I don't like to cook anyhow, if she was going to turn her nose up at it, I wasn't going to continue the experiment any longer - at this time, at least. I considered trying raw, but, again, don't trust myself to balance it correctly, and am a little put off by the worry of keeping things sanitary where she eats it. My DH and I decided that, considering the small amount of food she eats, price was not much of a consideration in deciding what we feed her. (Which just makes me laugh and laugh at myself. If anyone had EVER told me I would spend as much on a dog as I do her, I would have told them they were out of their minds. It's a good thing I waited until my children were all grown and out of my house before I brought home a poodle! ;) And that the one I brought home is a mini-poo, and not a spoo! ) My local pet supply store had Stella & Chewys (freeze-dried raw) on sale - buy one, get one free! - and DogFoodAdvisor gave it a 5-star rating, so I gave that a try. So far, she's gobbling it up. If she gives up on it, too, I guess we'll ... well, try something else!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are such a good fellow! There are very few owners who are ready to cook food for their pets. Your girl is fortunate. And I am also surprised by the fact that she will eat pumpkin food or fresh fruit. My dog refuses such food. And the smell of pumpkin for him is like something that causes the urge to vomit. He's a pure meat eater, haha. A predator! I also cook for him myself. Usually, it's always pork goulash, which I break into cans and put in the refrigerator for the whole week. The goulash smells like pork pate. He eats it with great pleasure. However, he refuses to eat breakfast. At the age of 6 months, he refused breakfast for the first time. Then he tried 3 times a day. Now I feed him 2 times a day. Still, I calculate 6-7 ounces of homemade food for his weight on the kitchen scales I bought specifically for these needs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, my tpoo was a very picky eater too. High quality kibbles, wet food, freeze dried... I've tried them all! What worked for me was pre-made raw. There are some pre-made frozen raw patties that you can defrost. No need to cook, it's easier to manage. Just do a research on which brands are the most balanced, because not all the brands of frozen raw are 😊

If freeze-dried patties work for you, that's good! They worked for my tpoo too, but only for a limited time. Plus, I realized that freeze-dried was way more expensive than pre-made frozen raw.

Good luck!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.