Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Henlo!
I’ve been home cooking for my cookie. He seems to got bored of rice :’) I used to mix everything together. The rice, meat, veg and fruit. And he won’t finish it :’) so i figured out maybe I separate everything and see which he will eat. And yep, someone got bored of rice. And carrot too.
I use white rice. I wonder if i change white rice to brown rice, he will like it more ? 🤔
what do you use as grains for your dog Homecook meal? Do you give your dog coconut oil?

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I feed Sophy a balanced meat mix (80% muscle meat, 10% organs - liver, kidney, spleen, etc, 10% ground bone), plus a mixture of vegetables. She gets some carbs from the vegetables and from home made treats (chicken, egg, wheat flour), but I don't routinely add grains to her food - I have found she does better without, and she is tiny so feeding mostly meat is not very expensive.

It is important to include a suitable level of calcium in a home cooked diet, and particularly important to get the amount right for a growing puppy - either raw bones, ground bone or some other source.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I home cook too. I didn’t like seeing rice in the poop which indicated the rice wasn’t being digested well. Maybe I wasn’t cooking it long enough? My dog needs fiber so I use white or sweet potatoes and oatmeal instead of rice. i do use a supplement for calcium because I have no bone or egg shells in her food.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't cook. I feed raw meaty bones, mostly chicken. I change up with eggs including shells, although in his later years my border collie would only eat eggs if they were scrambled. I add raw liver and any other organ meat I can get as a treat two or three times a week. I also feed carrots and potatoes (sometimes beans or peas) that have been roasted with meat a couple of times a week. I almost never feed oatmeal or rice.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I feed Sophy a balanced meat mix (80% muscle meat, 10% organs - liver, kidney, spleen, etc, 10% ground bone), plus a mixture of vegetables. She gets some carbs from the vegetables and from home made treats (chicken, egg, wheat flour), but I don't routinely add grains to her food - I have found she does better without, and she is tiny so feeding mostly meat is not very expensive.

It is important to include a suitable level of calcium in a home cooked diet, and particularly important to get the amount right for a growing puppy - either raw bones, ground bone or some other source.
I also follow these quantity.
I feed everything raw. Mine have chicken, beef, duck, lamb, venison, fish, egg yolks with shell and tripe. A few times a week I’ll add liver and chicken wings or carcass. Occasionally I give brocolli
I don’t see much point in feeding any carbs such as rice.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you feed eggs, feed the whole egg. Some people worry about cholesterol, but the whole egg balances everything out.

For calcium, bones work better than "calcium" because they are balanced with other ingredients. Also, chewing raw bones seems to set teeth better than other chewing items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts