Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Skylar mentioned here https://www.poodleforum.com/24-performance-agility-obedience-hunting/265895-regional-differences-trials-venues-entries.html there are probably plenty of us who have crazy stories about things that have happened at dog shows (all types).

I shared this from PCA: One year at PCA in rally the last Excellent A (and I have no idea why a went before B as is usual) dog pooped in the ring right next to a stationary sign. We had to wait for the sod (yes live grass) to be cleaned (barely) and then for the judge to award Excellent A after telling me to "go away" when I answered that we were the first B team not the last A team. It took forever, but I am sure that area still smelled just atrocious to Lily who sat way out of position so as to avoid sitting on the smell of diarrhea poo. She tried to leave the ring at the end of that sign and a steward went to put hands on her. thankfully I was able to tell her not to at which point she started to bicker with me about she didn't think I wanted Lily to run off (which she wouldn't have). She also had picked up my slip leash from where I expected to find it (which I didn't notice). I got Lily to the sit stay and then had to beg the steward for my leash which was all balled up into knots (not as I handed it off, neatly folded). I had such a mess in my hands that I was fussing with on the way back to Lils on the sit stay that she broke the stay and we ended up pointing out to an NQ.

I've also had stewards have their hot food lunches on the gate table at trials. Lily had a really rough go with that since she is a counter surfer extraordinaire. I also had a judge play with Lily in the hotel we were both staying at the night before we showed to her. I had stopped to talk to the other judge she was walking through the lobby with to thank him for his nice courses. While I was talking to him she petted and played with both Lily and Javelin who were both entered with her the next day unbeknownst to me since I had never seen her before.

So what is your holy [email protected]#t moment from any sort of show? Witness or participant stories welcome...

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
This didn't happen to me, but a friend who was new to rally entered an outdoor AKC rally competition. While she was in the ring competing it started to rain and she was called out of the ring and everyone waited until the rain stopped. She went back in to the ring and started over again until she came to a sign where there was a significant puddle which threw them off course and her dog refused to do the exercise. She continued the course and thought that they would be disqualified. The judge apologized profusely because no one had thought to look at the course after the rain to see if there were any problems beyond damp grass. The judge used her discretion and qualified them.

In my AKC club they still talk about the judge who was so talkative and forgettable. During the long down in Obedience Open where the dog's handlers must leave the building while the dog remains in a down position for 5 minutes, she got talking to someone at the side of the ring and forgot the time. The handlers outside were livid - 15 minutes had passed before someone got the judge to call them back in. This exercise has been altered so this wouldn't be a problem now.

Anyone who has been to a couple of competitions has seen dogs pee and poop in the ring or entrance to the ring. I hope Babykins doesn't do this. Our very first competition - silly dog didn't pee or poop in the morning as usual. Also I foolishly had fed her a particularly large breakfast. Get to the place of competition and my dog who loves to pee mark - refuses to pee there either. Finally she peed and pooped after we finished in the ring. The dog after us pooped in the ring - that could have been us but thankfully it wasn't.

I look forward to the stories of competitors with more experience than I.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Well, I've only been to one trial, but I already have one. During heel off leash in Novice, Noelle started out walking with me fine, until I made an about turn. Then she ran in front of me and started frantically barking while walking backward. So, I continued to heel with an invisible dog, ignoring this barking maniac who looked a whole lot like Noelle. By the end of the heel pattern, I was laughing. You could have set the entire thing to the Benny Hill music. How Noelle managed to make a left turn while walking backward and barking is beyond me. That was my very first NQ and is going make me laugh for a long time. Silly girl.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heeled with the invisible/lost dog too, but she never barked at me! And last week on heeling and signals Lily apparently decided that the way I moved my left hand when I went from normal to fast was a signal for the moving stand, so I did my fast by myself. Then I got the exercise finished from the judge.

Issues related to rain and heat are why I don't show outside. I have done rally outside but not much obedience since way back in novice with Lily. If you don't practice outside then don't show outside. Here is a funny story about an outside trial, also related to the old sits and downs. We were out east on Long Island in an area notorious for Ixodes ticks (Lyme disease epicenter in other words). It was at a college campus where they had deployed guinea fowl to eat the ticks. I forget whether it was novice or open but during one of the the flock of birds was making their rounds through the area where the ring was set up and they wandered all around the dogs and across the ring. Amazingly no dog broke their stays. One or two of them got the evil eye from a steward that I think helped remind them not to move, but those dogs were really trained for all contingencies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts