Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poking around looking for a puppy.... I keep going back and forth on toy or mini so I decided I would reach out to a couple of my favorite breeders for both types and see what happened.

ANYWAY. I just heard back from a well respected agility breeder that they for some reason have one pup left of the litter who can go home in TWO WEEKS. Yikes! I mean. Yay! I'd love that but also I was preparing myself to have to wait 6 months-1 year. So all of a sudden I am all excited AND I am also trying to be calm so I can make the right decision on whether or not this pup is THE perfect pup for us.

We would like to do agility. We've never done it before. I've done some trick training with dogs, but not agility. I've always had hound dogs or seniors who didn't seem to care about anything athletic. My son (9) also really wants to help train the dog in agility. He is good and calm with the dogs so I can definitely see him learning and doing great things! He cares well for our current dogs with me but... let's just say my current doggies are definitely firmly in the senior couch potato grumpus camp. :ROFLMAO:

So my question is this: does anybody here have an agility dog (or a dog from agility lines) who also enjoys snuggling and snoozing? My ideal dog is one who would play hard and aim to please and love to train, BUT then would come home and snuggle us and sit on our laps and love on us. Does such a thing exist? I'm asking the breeder about temperament of course, but I was hoping to hear from some dog owners about their pups. I also was wondering if I might need to take the breeder's answer with a tiny grain of salt. I don't think she would try to mislead or downplay ANYTHING as I am totally confident in her as a breeder, but I wonder if since she's used to rambunctious agility pups that maybe a dog she considers calm and snuggly is not quite calm and snuggly to the non-agility world. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That sounds awesome! Hopefully it works out!

My dog is from conformation lines rather than agility, but there isn't really a split in miniature poodles. He was picked as the best suited for agility by his breeder. He is super athletic and very high energy, but very biddable and enjoys working with me. I am very happy with him though I do worry about his distractibility when he's in a new location to compete. We're still working on completing his obstacle training but he loves it. Other than the weaves. Those I think he feels are boring.

He is a very snuggly affectionate dog, though he went through a period where he was not particularly snuggly between 4-9 months. He has become more and more snuggly as he matured. He now loves to cuddle up on the couch with me next to me or in my lap. He also likes to sleep on top of me if I'm lying down watching tv. He's not a licker but will occasionally give me some licking in affection. Mostly he shows affection through a desire to be close to me and he tries very hard to do things he thinks I will praise him for. He did not enjoy being pet while snuggling for a very long time. I had to slowly work on massaging him and he's now quite good about being pet while snuggling. He still doesn't like it if I move while he's snuggling but he is getting a bit better. Sometimes you just need to take baby steps and you'll get there eventually.

I think there is no reason an agility dog won't be snuggly. Ideally you want a dog that works hard and plays hard but knows to turn it off and settle during down time. My dog knows he gets one long outing each day, a couple short walks, and a bit of play in the evening. Other than that he is typically napping.

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
My boy Pogo would have rocked in agility. He had the athleticism, drive, and work ethic. He was also a great snuggler with his chosen humans once he became an adult. He knew he was a poodle, and he knew poodles were lap dogs, and therefore he considered it totally appropriate to put his 65 pound carcass into your lap wherever that lap might be. It was amusing to watch him study the problem of how to climb into a hammock.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've been poking around looking for a puppy.... I keep going back and forth on toy or mini so I decided I would reach out to a couple of my favorite breeders for both types and see what happened.

ANYWAY. I just heard back from a well respected agility breeder that they for some reason have one pup left of the litter who can go home in TWO WEEKS. Yikes! I mean. Yay! I'd love that but also I was preparing myself to have to wait 6 months-1 year. So all of a sudden I am all excited AND I am also trying to be calm so I can make the right decision on whether or not this pup is THE perfect pup for us.

We would like to do agility. We've never done it before. I've done some trick training with dogs, but not agility. I've always had hound dogs or seniors who didn't seem to care about anything athletic. My son (9) also really wants to help train the dog in agility. He is good and calm with the dogs so I can definitely see him learning and doing great things! He cares well for our current dogs with me but... let's just say my current doggies are definitely firmly in the senior couch potato grumpus camp. :ROFLMAO:

So my question is this: does anybody here have an agility dog (or a dog from agility lines) who also enjoys snuggling and snoozing? My ideal dog is one who would play hard and aim to please and love to train, BUT then would come home and snuggle us and sit on our laps and love on us. Does such a thing exist? I'm asking the breeder about temperament of course, but I was hoping to hear from some dog owners about their pups. I also was wondering if I might need to take the breeder's answer with a tiny grain of salt. I don't think she would try to mislead or downplay ANYTHING as I am totally confident in her as a breeder, but I wonder if since she's used to rambunctious agility pups that maybe a dog she considers calm and snuggly is not quite calm and snuggly to the non-agility world. Does that make sense?
Dogs will, of course, have their individual personalities, and one of mine is more affectionate and much more of a "snuggler" than the other who is affectionate but more on her own terms...But they absolutely can have the drive to train, work and show with gusto AND have an off switch....Pics of both of mine playing hard at agility at various trials...AND a pic of them totally off at a hotel after trialing hahaha.....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
My minipoo and I compete in several dog sports. She loves running agility courses. I have a lap poodle. If she can’t climb into my lap, then she’s snuggled next to me with her head on my leg. She has an off switch and makes a great couch potato.

I’ve taught children as young as 7 to compete in agility. It sounds like your son would be great. When you get your puppy, help your son develop a relationship with the puppy. Encourage the puppy to follow your son and run to him when called.

Not all poodles are lap dwellers but they like to be close to the family. I do think you can encourage a puppy to be a lap dweller with positive training and treats.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Wow, that’s exciting! Where is your dog coming from?

Gracie, my mini poo, will be two next month. She is from a conformation line, although dogs from that line have also been successful in agility and other dog sports. I bought her specifically to do agility but also wanted a well rounded pet. She has a mismark, precluding her from conformation, or being kept for breeding. My gain, I love her little white blaze!

Gracie has incredible drive on the course and just loves agility. Running the course is it’s own reward, and she has had good success for a young dog. However, at home, she is very much a lap dog and has been from day one. She’s a big snuggler. She has a nice off switch but needs outlets for her energy.

I have some agility obstacles in the yard and we do a lot of playing fetch and tug. She goes to training class 1-2 times a week.We also usually take a 20-30 minute walk every day and two of the older dogs will play with her. It’s not hard to give her activities to dispel her energy but she needs them. One rainy couch potato day is OK, more than that and she is bouncing off the walls. If the weather is icky for a number of days, indoor fetch games are enough to satisfy her though.

I think some dogs are more inclined to be lap dogs, regardless of energy level. I have four dogs and it’s an even split. Two are lap dogs and the other two are very affectionate but prefer to lie next to you, or near you. My lap can’t accommodate four dogs, so it works out!

A few pics of my girl, love her to pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
This might be a great time for your son to be learning how to train a dog! With COVID and staying home more, etc. I know at about age 11 or 12 my sons started being much more interested in doing things that didn't involve parents as much. You are sounding pretty excited yourself! Does the entire family feel on-board? It will be exciting to see what you decide to do:)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
And an extra pic of the agility lap dogs! Just a bundle of poodle fluff with morning coffee. Gracie and 11 year old Lily, poodle mix who also does agility.

Attachments

Reactions: ThePoodlesMoody
1 - 8 of 8 Posts