Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
With Thanksgiving and Christmas so close, I was checking out some new recipes from the Food Network. I ran across this one for Mix & Match Stuffing which covers a huge list of possibilities based on your taste.

What they all have in common is the base, which can be modified:

Heat 1 stick butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 cups chopped onions, leeks or scallions, 2 cups diced celery, 1 tablespoon each minced fresh sage and thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth; bring to a simmer and remove from the heat.

Premium Member

Registered
I'm starting to cook Thanksgiving dinner tonight - getting prep work done one some things and getting cranberry sauce cooked.

Vita, those variations on the stuffing look really good. Because of dietary restrictions - DH and I are having stuffing made with quinoa while I will make a bread stuffing for the kids. Everyone loves the traditional stuffing but I'm going to take inspiration from the Food Networks stuffing for next week when we are over the traditional.

We have a really mixed Thanksgiving dinner - vegan, vegetarian and meat eaters so we have an overabundance of food so everyone has plenty of choices to eat. It's my favorite holiday because it's all about family getting together and being thankful. And we don't do any turkey -I'm serving Costco rotisserie chicken - tasty, moist and tender. I stopped cooking turkey years ago.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
Mfmst, that link to the Broccoli with Garlic and Soy Sauce recipe looks so easy and quick to cook, anytime of the year. I'll share that one with my daughter who is doing the cooking just for us the day after Thanksgiving.

On T-Day, we're getting together with the family at a Maggionio's at my brother's request.

Skylar, speaking of vegetarians and vegans, my daughter is one. I still face palm as I wonder how that happened - she grew up loving my T-bone steaks, chicken dishes, crab cakes, etc!

Mfmst's recipe reminded me of another simple recipe I used to lose weight a few years ago that was delicious:

Broccoli & Mushrooms with Peanut Sauce

~ Cook fresh broccoli,
~ Saute mushrooms with butter in a skillet,
~ Drain and add brocoli the pan. Add salt & pepper to taste.
~ Serve, then add Peanut Sauce (or you can add the sauce to the pan, but when serving others, some might want more, less, or none).

I like the House of Tsang brand in a glass bottle the best, easy to find in most grocery stores.

Premium Member
I made DH a pecan pie today and you cannot go wrong with this crust recipe: 3 C. Flour, 1 egg, 1 1/2 C. Crisco, 1 t. apple cider vinegar and 3-5 T. ice water. 3 T. Water is the flaky goal. For pumpkin pie, I use the recipe on the Libby鈥檚 label, for pecan pie, I get more ambitious and try new filling recipes. Today I made Linda Seay鈥檚 pecan pie filling from allrecipes.com.with fresh pecans a friend sent as a gift. I am leaving Buck and DH to see the kids for the holiday, and the pie assuaged everything. Especially with vanilla ice cream:) Bye!

Registered
Here is our traditional Christmas dessert - it's real name is Ris a l'Amande, but we just call it Norwegian Christmas dessert. It is sinfully good!

1/3 cup white rice
2 2/3 cups boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp plain gelatin
1/4 cup cold sherry
6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla

Add the salt to the boiling water, then slowly add the rice. Cook until tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain.

Stir the gelatin into the sherry and set it over some hot water to dissolve.
Once dissolved, add the sherry/gelatin mixture to the rice. Stir in the sugar and almonds. Whip the cream until stiff, fold in the vanilla, then mix with the rice. Pour into a mold that has been rinsed with cold water. Chill for several hours.

A soon as the cream/rice mixture is set to chill, make a sauce from raspberries, sugar, and enough corn starch to thicken. Let it cool thoroughly.

Unmold the cream onto a serving platter and pour the raspberry sauce over it.

Premium Member
My husband is cooking our turkey outside on the charcoal barbecue grill. A metal pan goes in the center of the grill and coals are banked around the pan. Wait an hour, add more charcoal. Repeat until the thermometer reads 165.

Smoked turkey at my house. You're all invited. We're eating around 3:30. :)

Registered
I am invited out and they alway ask for my brussel sprouts (sometimes that is min dinner, I love them).
Brussel sprouts
Olive Oil just a little
Garlic power ( I use a lot)
Little hot pepper flakes
Munsurella Cheese
Boil brussel spouts 12 minutes
Cut in half and brown them in the mixture

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
Carrot Pineapple Cake w/ Cream Cheese Icing

I have cherished this recipe for 40 years. Ideal for any holiday or anytime. Might be too late to bake one for Thanksgiving (today!), so save it for Christmas.

CARROT CAKE (THE BEST!)

Grease a bundt cake pan with butter
Grate carrots to 1-1/2 cups
Drain #2 can of crushed pineapples

SIFT TOGETHER:

2 cups flour
2 teasp baking soda
1 teasp salt
1 teasp cinnamon

MIX IN LARGE BOWL:

1-1/2 CUPS VEG OIL
2 CUPS SUGAR
4 EGGS

ADD DRY INGREDIANTS TO MIXTURE GRADUALLY
WHILE BEATING FOR TWO MINUTES

ADD CARROTS, PINEAPPLE,
AND 1/2 CUP CHOPPED OR SLIVERED ALMONDS (optional)

MIX WELL
BAKE AT 350 FOR 60 MINUTES

ICING (WOW!)

ROOM TEMPERATURE SOFT:
8 OZ PACKAGE OF PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE AND A STICK OF BUTTER

1 BOX CONFEC. SUGAR
1 TEAS. VANILLA
4 TEAS. FLOUR

EAT.

ENJOY

Premium Member
I am late to the discussion. I was busy getting the turkey in the oven. I make stuffing in the tradition my dad made: celery, onions, butter, sauteed with plenty of poultry seasoning and then mixed into a 50/50 mix of white bread and corn bread crumbles along with a couple of peeled, cored and coarsely chopped granny smith apples.

We are also having creamed onions (nutmeg being the secret), some candied yams from a local gourmet market (mostly for BF), lavender colored mashed potatoes made roughly in the Anthony Bourdain tradition of baking then mashing the potatoes (which are purple potatoes this year) and green beans almondine to round it out...and of course gravy (not my favorite thing but BF would want to put ketchup on everything if I didn't make it).

Everybody has nice sounding things going on in the kitchen.

Reactions: Vita

Premium Member
Lots of cooking around here - my DH is the chef, I just do the sous-chef work. Turkey, Cornbread stuffing, candied yams, green bean casserole and giblet gravy. Asta will get some turkey for sure as it is just my DH, Asta and me. Happy Thanksgiving all and a shout out to our international friends - hope they have a good day too.

Sorry, no recipes - my DH's cooking is a mystery to me. He really just wings it, with amazing results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts