Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey PF community,

I haven't come across a similar thread in the search or youtube video.

Do I need to be concerned about Basil's ears getting cold for winter?

Climate wise we live in Seattle, and it's pretty mild compared to the Canadian or Minnesota poodles. Here's a screenshot below:

Alexa says 39°F is about 3.89°C.

She's my first dog, SPOO, 7 months. Our first winter together. Ears would be shaved down to 3mm long. I like the german trim ear aesthetic, but am obviously okay delaying until after winter. I'm 60% sure it's going to be okay, but I would feel more comfortable with second opinions from more experienced momma's and pappa's since there's no undoing once I start to trim them and it's my first winter with a dog... ever.

Current state of ear:

Ready for a night on the town:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Wind would be more of a concern for me, on the windiest days I put a snood on Annie for outdoor walks even if the temps aren't low (-5C with bad wind). Her ears are often cold to the touch and she is happier for a longer walk with a snood. I actually use one of my own balaclavas for her.

Maybe a #5 blade? Or a #3 blade? Just a bit of cover to keep the wind from stripping all the heat from them. Try that for a bit, and do a closer shave later if she seems fine?

I would worry more about what the lowest lows you normally experience are than the average temps.

I have had a touch of frostbite on my cheeks from wind and blowing snow (ok, a snowmobile) in relatively warm temperatures, and worry. Friends have had frostbite on their fingers and ears.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wind would be more of a concern for me, on the windiest days I put a snood on Annie for outdoor walks even if the temps aren't low (-5C with bad wind). Her ears are often cold to the touch and she is happier for a longer walk with a snood. I actually use one of my own balaclavas for her.

Maybe a #5 blade? Or a #3 blade? Just a bit of cover to keep the wind from stripping all the heat from them. Try that for a bit, and do a closer shave later if she seems fine?

I would worry more about what the lowest lows you normally experience are than the average temps.

I have had a touch of frostbite on my cheeks from wind and blowing snow (ok, a snowmobile) in relatively warm temperatures, and worry. Friends have had frostbite on their fingers and ears.
Wind... I didn't even think about that. Noted. Today im making a trip to goodwill to find a used rain coat for fabric to attempt to create a wet & windy weather snood. We don't have any snoods yet.

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
My Tpoo has shorter ears. Not shaved clean, but kept short. He has cataract and eye problems and doesn't close his eyes when he sleeps so he gets his ear hairs stuck in his eyeball.

We live in MN. He goes out in the backyard just fine to pee. On long walks, yes, he does get cold but then I dress him in silly looking hats.

I think you could still go pretty short. Not shaved, but shorter than you have now. Worst case scenario is you notice cold ears ans have to put on a doggy hat until it grows back out enough. :)

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Even if you have milder winter temperatures, I would not do a close shave in winter. You can clip them shorter than the body, but I would leave a good 1/2 inch of hair at least.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We keep Bobby’s ears pretty short but not quite shaved. It’s very cold in the winter here, many -0 F
days and he does just fine with the short clipped ears. I wouldn’t shave them but I think a short clip with a bit of curl would be just fine. His ears never seemed to bother him no matter how cold it gets. I would suppose each dog is different and I’m sure you will find the length that works best. Now feet are another matter. We keep Bobby in clean feet but definitely boots when it’s super cold.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It looks like the consensus is to leave some hair for the added protection - I agree. I prefer the Miami cut for Happy, but I’ve decided to let her grow out for the winter. While the last two winters have been fairly mild in N. VA, it does dip into the low teens. Sustained temps below freezing in W. Washington are few, but it’s a damp cold and the wind can really whip through Seattle (I lived in Pierce Co. pre-SPOO). Basil will probably be more comfortable if you leave her ears as they are. With her fuller built-in Poodle sweater, Happy barely notices the cold during our morning walks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hey PF community,

I haven't come across a similar thread in the search or youtube video.

Do I need to be concerned about Basil's ears getting cold for winter?

Climate wise we live in Seattle, and it's pretty mild compared to the Canadian or Minnesota poodles. Here's a screenshot below:

View attachment 471347

Alexa says 39°F is about 3.89°C.

She's my first dog, SPOO, 7 months. Our first winter together. Ears would be shaved down to 3mm long. I like the german trim ear aesthetic, but am obviously okay delaying until after winter. I'm 60% sure it's going to be okay, but I would feel more comfortable with second opinions from more experienced momma's and pappa's since there's no undoing once I start to trim them and it's my first winter with a dog... ever.

Current state of ear:
View attachment 471348 View attachment 471349
View attachment 471351

Ready for a night on the town:
View attachment 471352
You might want to hold off on the ear shaving. We keep Charlie 's ears in a German clip in warm weather but let it go floofy for winter. We moved to the British Columbia interior from Ontario, and consider the winter very mild compared to southwestern Ontario, where wind chill can drive the temperature down to a bitter -35 degrees Celsius. Here in the Shuswap -10 degrees Celsius is considered cold. However, my buddy and I will snowshoe for 2 hours at a time at -10C or -15 C, and her Weimaraner 's ears once got frostbitten. Poor Wolf! He had his cozy snowsuit on, but his ears got frosty! Charlie the Poodle has the most wonderful dense woolly coat, just like a Persian rug and I leave it nice and thick because he adores snow and winter sports. He insists on napping outside at -10C

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I am in Colorado and Iris had her ears short for her entire 14 yrs of life. Never a problem, but then we did not do long walks or hiking in the winter cold. If it was above freezing then we did long walks. Her ears were never cold and never bothered her. I had beagles when we lived in Minnesota and they have naturally short ear hair....never a problem there either.
A245EDE5-D96D-4091-A1F6-8AE89C32C10A.jpeg

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am in Colorado and Iris had her ears short for her entire 14 yrs of life. Never a problem, but then we did not do long walks or hiking in the winter cold. If it was above freezing then we did long walks. Her ears were never cold and never bothered her. I had beagles when we lived in Minnesota and they have naturally short ear hair....never a problem there either. View attachment 471374
What a beauty! Knowing she is 14 years old and looks this great is a comfort to me as I worry that Charlie might die at 10 like our previous dog (cancer).

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
With our moderate temps (we're nearby, on the Olympic Peninsula), I'm finding it's the dampness more than anything that leaves Peggy with a chill. Lately she's been wearing her Gold Paw Series fleece indoors and loving it.

I can tell she's cold by checking her pads and ears. If they feel cool to the touch, I can pretty much guarantee she'll be happy to snuggle into her fleece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts